Where are Exchange Rates Posted?

knittinggirl

Where are exchange rates posted on the Noordam? I'm expecting some souvenirs, and need to know how much to tell customs about our purchases.

I don't recall ever seeing exchange rates posted on a ship.

We normally get a card in our cabin with "approximate" rates for exchange purposes.

I just check exchange rates on line and base my calculations for customs on that.

We use:

xe.com

You can also download their app to your phone. It will work if you are overseas even if you are not data roaming. Just be sure to launch the app at some point when you are connected to internet so that it will refresh the currencies you are tracking.

I don't remember ever seeing exchange rates being posted on the ship we were on. There have areas setup to make money exchanges, like the time we were in Fiji. Did not turn out well though, we exchanged US for Fiji money and then didn't need it and it cost us to exchange it back. Moral of the story don't exchange money if you don't really need to.

I'm expecting some souvenirs, and need to know how much to tell customs about our purchases.
We use xe.com before we go and make a list of the rates we might need. US customs doesn't need to know an exact up-to-the-day amount.

We use xe.com before we go and make a list of the rates we might need. US customs doesn't need to know an exact up-to-the-day amount.

We have had ..U S. Cstoms officials, assign the excchange rate the y are wroking with on given date for specific cou ntry's currency.

We have not had a problem going through customs at the Canadian border from the US with our purchases and the exchange rate. The reason might be because what we have purchased has never really comes close the maximum allowed. We just tell what we have purchased in US funds and they figured it out. No problem. So far it has worked out.

We have not had a problem going through customs at the Canadian border from the US with our purchases and the exchange rate. The reason might be because what we have purchased has never really comes close the maximum allowed. We just tell what we have purchased in US funds and they figured it out. No problem. So far it has worked out.

Exactly.. If you have the legitimate sales receipt, there is no issue.

Same in reverse for entering U.S.

Assuming you are a US resident returning from a cruise to Australia, I would look up the exchange rates online from Australia. You might even check your credit card or debit card account online for the cost. If you are not close to the $800 exemption each, I would not fuss over it much, maybe just use the pre-cruise exchange rates.

Where are exchange rates posted on the Noordam? I'm expecting some souvenirs, and need to know how much to tell customs about our purchases.

We just put the value in whatever currency we used in paying for the items. The customs agent figures out the value if it's not their currency.

In the daily newspapers distributed on board, the English language ones, NY Times, Britain Today or Canada Today, will usually publish the "tourist exchange rates" in the financial section. Cannot speak to the other language editions. When we have free data access we use xe.com.