Most Embarrassing question at captain Q&A?

Flamingofeet

I recently went on the Jade and really enjoyed attending the captains and directors Q and A. Except some people tried to use it as a complaint procedure which was so embarrassing.

What is the worst question you have heard on these sessions? Mine has to be why hasn't the captain made him self more available. (When one would argue he has been) He answered he was responsible for sailing the ship and everyone cheered.

I asked (politely, I thought) if NCL had any female deck officers. The captain (Epic, when it was new) responded no and that Norway's maritime academy didn't admit women. I did not continue the subject, but the M&G organizer afterward told me that she was embarrassed by my inappropriate question.

It doesn't seem to me that there's anything inappropriate about that. I do however find it surprising given Norway's generally progressive attitudes toward most things. Two close friends of ours, both gay,are actually both officers in the Norwegian navy.

Someone asked the Captain of the Pearl how come the ship doesn't tip over it is so tall. He was serious! The Captain said they put the heavy stuff in the bottom. Which sounds like a joke answer but is actually true in the sense the heavy stuff naturally is in the bottom.

I asked (politely, I thought) if NCL had any female deck officers. The captain (Epic, when it was new) responded no and that Norway's maritime academy didn't admit women. I did not continue the subject, but the M&G organizer afterward told me that she was embarrassed by my inappropriate question.

I think that is an interesting question actually.

Not the most embarrassing but when people ask boxers or briefs it's a waste of everyone's time.

I've heard horror stories about passengers asking awkward questions, but I have never witnessed it.

I have seen an organizer of the M&G treated horribly by the staff person in charge of coordinating the party. He berated her in front of other passengers in an attempt to shift blame from his own mistakes (this was on the Jewel). We complained about him, as several others told us they did.

FLAHAM, I wouldn't consider your question to be rude at all. Today there are at least two Masters (the Captain in charge of the ship) on an American based cruise line. Both were probably deck officers at the time you asked the question. I believe one was on DCL at the time (she is now on Celebrity) and the other was probably on a line not affiliated with NCL at the time (although they are now), Regent Seven Seas.

This would have been embarrasing if an adult had asked it......at our Q&A on the Dawn last week, a young girl asked the captain how he sails the ship when he's in bed. The quick thinking captain responded, without hesitation, "I have an iPhone App for that".

I know that I read recently on CC that someone else asked at the Q &A, why the ship didn't tip over. The captain responded..."Heck if I know", or something to that effect.

. ...

I know that I read recently on CC that someone else asked at the Q &A, why the ship didn't tip over. The captain responded..."Heck if I know", or something to that effect.

But the captain then went on to explain about ballast, the heavy stuff being in bottom areas of ship. He didn't leave his answer as a joke.

We've just come off the Spirit and the EO was a woman so they must have had a rethink.

I have heard someone ask why the internet was slow compared to what they get at home. Seems like the initial answer was the cable behind the ship is too long, followed by a short comment about satellites have limited capacity.

Strange you recieved that response. I've had Norwegian female officer cadets and sail with numerous female officers (deck and engine). Whilst admittedly it is still a very male dominated career, it is very normal to have women officers.

Oh yeah and the ch.mate on the getaway at the moment is a woman from panama

Someone asked the Captain of the Pearl how come the ship doesn't tip over it is so tall. He was serious! The Captain said they put the heavy stuff in the bottom. Which sounds like a joke answer but is actually true in the sense the heavy stuff naturally is in the bottom.

So, the buffet eaters then ;p