ms Noordam in Juneau September 7, 2017

Scrapnana

Quick heads-up for webcam fans, especially Scrapnana. QM2 is in New York today, due to sail at 17:00.

Roy

Only the harbor cam is available.

Roy, with Irma set to probably go up the east coast, do you think Maasdam will attempt to come south for a Wed FLL stop?

Only the harbor cam is available.

Roy, with Irma set to probably go up the east coast, do you think Maasdam will attempt to come south for a Wed FLL stop?

Actually, for both the ships in NYC today the port cam would not come into the picture anyway. Vision OTS sails from Bayonne, south of Statue of Liberty and QM2 from Brooklyn, just about level with the tip of Manhattan. Harbor cam routinely zooms in on either location near sailaway time and the port cam only covers Manhattan sailaways.

Our weather forecast predicts the remnants of Irma in Baltimore this weekend (mostly rain). so New England should be about September 11-14.

I'm looking at 2 coming cruises with respect to Irma. Crystal Serenity is completing her Northwest Passage cruise now (Greenland today). She's due in Bar Harbor, Boston, and Newport September 12-14. I think Boston is safe but can imagine either of the tender ports being cancelled.

Maasdam is due in Boston the 9th; that should be well ahead of Irma, and I think FTL should be back in business by the 13th. The port will likely be busier than normal with Allure OTS being delayed from the 10th to the 13th, but I don't expect a problem there. Maasdam PAX may have some interesting seas between Boston and Ft. Lauderdale.

Roy

I wonder what the Maasdam can do if they can't get into FTL on schedule. Their only port between there and the canal is Cartagena; normally if they were a day late in FTL they could drop a port but Cartagena is REQUIRED to meet the PVSA.

I think maybe it was Sandy in 2012 when the Eurodam couldn't get into Port Everglades and they bused pax to/from Jacksonville. That would be a drastic solution but they would need to do something. Perhaps fly people to Cartagena.

Roy

Actually, for both the ships in NYC today the port cam would not come into the picture anyway. Vision OTS sails from Bayonne, south of Statue of Liberty and QM2 from Brooklyn, just about level with the tip of Manhattan. Harbor cam routinely zooms in on either location near sailaway time and the port cam only covers Manhattan sailaways.

Our weather forecast predicts the remnants of Irma in Baltimore this weekend (mostly rain). so New England should be about September 11-14.

I'm looking at 2 coming cruises with respect to Irma. Crystal Serenity is completing her Northwest Passage cruise now (Greenland today). She's due in Bar Harbor, Boston, and Newport September 12-14. I think Boston is safe but can imagine either of the tender ports being cancelled.

Maasdam is due in Boston the 9th; that should be well ahead of Irma, and I think FTL should be back in business by the 13th. The port will likely be busier than normal with Allure OTS being delayed from the 10th to the 13th, but I don't expect a problem there. Maasdam PAX may have some interesting seas between Boston and Ft. Lauderdale.

Roy

And I should have remembered that from last year, when I crossed from Southampton to NYC. I was pleased QM2 offered a transfer to Penn Station, because Brooklyn is nowhere near there. :o

I wonder what the Maasdam can do if they can't get into FTL on schedule. Their only port between there and the canal is Cartagena; normally if they were a day late in FTL they could drop a port but Cartagena is REQUIRED to meet the PVSA.

I think maybe it was Sandy in 2012 when the Eurodam couldn't get into Port Everglades and they bused pax to/from Jacksonville. That would be a drastic solution but they would need to do something. Perhaps fly people to Cartagena.

Roy

That would be a mess to deal with. Does Maasdam have enough time to be a day late and still make Cartagena? Of course, Jose is following right behind, so it may be academic. He's not expected to hit land in the US, but could really mess up the waters south of Florida, unless they go around the west side of Cuba.

Roy

Maasie is really stuck between a rock and a hard place taking Irma's projected path into account. I'm sure Seattle has been, and is, looking at it and potential alternatives. After leaving Boston on Saturday, she might try to head east, instead of south, and attempt to stay on the eastern "outskirts" of Irma, then head west towards FLL. Aruba could be an alternative to Cartagena before the PC transit

154730_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png