Aloha! Live from the Radiance 9.8.17 Cruise to Hawaii

Today we had two very different stops planned.

Our first stop was the Aloha Stadium to go to the Swap Meet. I think it is where the U of Hawaii plays football. [Home of the Rainbow Warriors]

enhance

It is a GIANT flea market.

enhance

There were vendor tents set up three deep all the way around the stadium. [big circle] I could not begin to say how many vendors were there.

enhance

Our shuttle driver had said to go there are 7 am to beat the crowd. However, we got there around 8:30 and many were still setting up. So I would not go before then.

I did not buy it--but, this was my favorite shirt. We have had what we consider pretty slow service in every restaurant we have eaten in. I think it is just island time. :D

enhance

They had typical touris souvenirs, flea market clothes and local artist selling items.

I bought a one of a kind necklace. [ruby in fu****e]

So I will post what I can and post the rest later.

For some reason my photos do not want to load.

Visiting the USS Arizona was a unique experience. It reminds us how much we owe those that came before us for our freedoms.

enhance

enhance

The park ranger said the strike on the Arizona was very lucky. Things were not that accurate in those days. The bombs were dropped from around 1000 ft. They hit the exact spot where almost 1 million lbs of explosives we kept. The ship actually rise slightly out of the water. It sank in 9 minutes.

enhance

This anchor from the Arizona was found 200 feet away from the ship.

enhance

I am bumed I can not get mu other Arizona pics. . . . But, i will tey again later. i think the network at our hotel is taxed to the max. ;p

After visiting the Arizona, I never felt that the majority of pictures you see show enough of the whole picture. At a local tourist shop, I found a post card that had an overhead picture that showed the memorial sitting crosswise over the sunken ship that sits just below the surface of the water. Very moving to see the ship and the memorial in the same shot.

After visiting the Arizona, I never felt that the majority of pictures you see show enough of the whole picture. At a local tourist shop, I found a post card that had an overhead picture that showed the memorial sitting crosswise over the sunken ship that sits just below the surface of the water. Very moving to see the ship and the memorial in the same shot.

I saw that post card, too. You can see the ship below the surface when you look down--but, it does not photograph well.

Here is the picture [of a picture] from the memorial.

enhance

Some of my other pictures loaded--finally.

Here is the memorial as we arrived by boat.

enhance

You can see some of the structure of the ship from the memorial.

enhance

enhance

This wall lists the more than 900 names of those that died on the Arizona.

enhance

There are 2 smaller walls with the names of those that survived the attack, yet wanted their ashes to be buried with their fellow sailors/soldiers.

enhance

Before I leave the topic of visiting Pearl Harbor I wanted to give some tips.

1--You can order tickets online exactly 2 months before your visit. I did that, as did many on our cruise. The first time slots available to us were 11 am. The park gives out tickets first come first serve the day of the visit. We all felt they save the early tickets for that. That makes sense. The park opens at 7 am. If you arrived then you would not want to wait until the afternoon for tickets. If you want tickets for the day of disembarkation and plan to fly out in the PM be aware that 11 am is likely the best you can do.

2--They say to arrive an hour before tour time. You need to be at the theater 10 minutes before your tour. Parking was crazy/busy. We tried for 15 minutes to follow people to their car to get a spot. . . . But, others were doing that and we never got one. We parked on the street a little below the park. You also need to exchange your confirmation for tickets. Make sure you leave enough time.

3--You can not take in any bags or purses. They have lockers you can rent. I used one of the RCL name packets I have gotten from the Meet and Mingle party to hold my phone. [i finally found a use for them LOL]

4--We were very hungry by the time we finished the park. We really did not want the problem of looking for a place to eat. Pearl Harbor is off by itself. As we got back to our car we noticed there was a restaurant in the nearby marina. The Restaurant 604.

The Restaurant 604 has a very Hawaiian atmosphere. At home we sit inside rather than on a deck to be cool in the summer. In Hawaii you sit outside to be cool. We found few had air conditioning.

enhance

I tried the Chee Huu Chi-Chi. It tasted a lot like a pina colada.

enhance

enhance

You know you are in Hawaii when the TVs are showing the surf channel.

enhance

enhance

The view was great. We have not found many bad views in Hawaii.

enhance

If you go to the park and are looking for a place to eat give it a try.

They say they have the best Bloody Mary in Honolulu. It has a shrimp and cocktail sauce on the rim. [read the recipe on the menu above] It was very unusual.

Guess some shots need to be left to the professionals. I mean we do want to keep the postcard makers in business. Right?

True. Today we are going to Diamond Head. The walk up the mountain is very strenuous. Sometimes as many as 50 stairs up. Ugh! I can't do that. We will view from the wayside. ;)

I will buy the post card.

We drove up to Diamond Head State Park this morning to check out the view. When we got to the entrance we saw the lot full sign. The attendant said there was a waiting line we could join to get a spot when someone left. The line was pretty long, so we decided not to wait. FYI--get there early. We arrived around 10 am. It was crazy busy.

So, we tried to stop at the overlook outside the park. Those spots were full, too. These were not people at the overlook. There was only 1 other couple there. The spots were full from people that could not get into the park and parked there and walked up the road into the park.

So, this is the best picture I have of Diamond Head. :D

enhance

I took this from Waikiki Beach.

enhance

This is a view of Honolulu at night. [from our hotel]

enhance

This is the same view a little earier in the evening. You can see the Ala Wai canal that runs parallel to the ocean.

enhance

enhance

This kayak groups was out there everyday.

Tonight we went to a luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel. It was very nice.

Here are a few shots.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Hawaiians did not use fire in their dances. That was a polynesian characteristic.

enhance

Tomorrow we are headed to the North Shore. We hope we see some big waves.

We drove up to Diamond Head State Park this morning to check out the view. When we got to the entrance we saw the lot full sign. The attendant said there was a waiting line we could join to get a spot when someone left. The line was pretty long, so we decided not to wait. FYI--get there early. We arrived around 10 am. It was crazy busy.

So, we tried to stop at the overlook outside the park. Those spots were full, too. These were not people at the overlook. There was only 1 other couple there. The spots were full from people that could not get into the park and parked there and walked up the road into the park.

We were fortunate when visiting Waikiki,

Our friends had a rental car and we arrived at Diamond head parking lot early, and I mean early and it was already full.

They dropped us off.

Water and all we packed lightly and did the climb.

Stairs, incline, more stairs, up and up....................I thought I would never make it.

The last set before the top by the bunker was painful, but I persevered.

Took many pictures I know I will never do again.

Bought the T-shirt sold at top that came with the certificate of making the climb.

(independent locals, but cute)

Coming down was not bad.

Boy did we sleep good that night.

Safe travels.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. We went to the North Shore yesterday and I have some photos of that to post but I'm not getting very good wifi reception out here on the beach.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I have a question please...I am aware of where the ship docks in Honolulu. Can you tell me if port or starboard faces Waikiki? Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We were on this cruise as well and just found your review. Nice job on the photos you have posted some beautiful shots. This was our first time in Hawaii and we were very glad to have done it via cruise ship. Waking up in a different piece of paradise every day was a real treat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was our first visit to Hawaii and likely our last for at least a few years. That is not because we did not love it. You can tell we did. But, there are so many places in the world [and the US] to see. . . . and it is a long way from Virginia.

That is why we did the 4 nts/5days once we disembarked. We had 10 days in Hawaii and visited 4 islands. I doubt the average Hawaii land-based tourist can say that.

We just arrived home. My least favorite part of the whole trip is the long flight home. Ugh! :eek::eek:

Sorry that it has taken me 2 days to get back to this review.

Friday was the last day our travel companions were in Hawaii. So, we decided to drive to the North Shore to see some big waves and then drop them of at the airport on our way back.

Our first stop on the drive north was the Dole pineapple plantation.

enhance

There are 3 main areas to visit [besides the shop/restaurant] I know this is not a very nice photo. However, I could not find an angle that did not cast a shadow on the map. You can see the maze, the train route and the graden. We did not visit the maze or the garden.

enhance

We felt it was a must to see how pineapples are grown.

enhance

They had many of the better know Hawaiian trees/plants on display.

enhance

enhance

OK--we confess! We really stopped here to try the Dole Whip. It is a type of frozen dessert that is similar to gelato. [Frozen and fruity, but creamy like ice cream] We thought it was as good as shave ice.

It was a beautiful inland setting. This is the reservoir.

enhance