wondering if St thomas and Tortola ports will be available to dock by the end of Nov?

az-cruiser

wondering if St thomas and Tortola, and Nassau ports will be available to dock by the end of November? Jost van Dyke looks wrecked and St. Thomas is not far behind. I've had ports changed in the past after storms or hurricanes, but usually within 30 days. Since it's still 2 months away, just curious about everyones thoughts. I feel so bad for the people on these islands, and another hurricane not far behind.:(

wondering if St thomas and Tortola, and Nassau ports will be available to dock by the end of November? Jost van Dyke looks wrecked and St. Thomas is not far behind. I've had ports changed in the past after storms or hurricanes, but usually within 30 days. Since it's still 2 months away, just curious about everyones thoughts. I feel so bad for the people on these islands, and another hurricane not far behind.:(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the 9/23 Escape sailing stopping in St. Thomas, Tortola and Bahamas. We did a week-long BVI catamaran charter in the BVIs in May and I feel sick looking at some of the photos and video coming out of there. We didn't have any excursions planned and booked the Escape more for the boat than the ports...I hope we still go to Tortola so I can take supplies to the captain that we sailed with in May. Based on the images, I seriously doubt we will be stopping there: https://bvinewbie.com/bvi-live-cams/

It depends on what you want to do. If you are interested in snorkeling, SCUBA/SNUBA, swimming, petting stingrays, water-based activities, then you will be fine in 2 weeks. Zip line, straw market, sightseeing, other inland based activities, then you ought to reconsider for a few months unless it involves a national chain.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents, but cruises for most people are expensive and most only do them once a year, sometimes once every two years.

Just because people are asking doesn't mean they don't care.

Thank you:)

Clearly the first goal is to make sure that everyone is safe and sheltered with food. The next goal of the islands is usually to get the tourism industry back up as quickly as possible because that is a tremendous income source.

Having said that I suspect that the docks themselves will be able to accommodate ships quickly, but I would be surprised if St. Thomas and Nassau can accommodate passengers before the first of the year and Tortola maybe even longer. Construction just doesn't move that fast in the islands.

We are on the 9/23 Escape sailing stopping in St. Thomas, Tortola and Bahamas. We did a week-long BVI catamaran charter in the BVIs in May and I feel sick looking at some of the photos and video coming out of there. We didn't have any excursions planned and booked the Escape more for the boat than the ports...I hope we still go to Tortola so I can take supplies to the captain that we sailed with in May. Based on the images, I seriously doubt we will be stopping there: https://bvinewbie.com/bvi-live-cams/

If I were a betting person, I would be willing to bet large sums of money that you are not getting near Tortola or St. Thomas before the first of October. That is only 20 days.

If I were a betting person, I would be willing to bet large sums of money that you are not getting near Tortola or St. Thomas before the first of October. That is only 20 days.

The pictures and videos are devastating and heartbreaking. I'm so concerned about the people involved.

We're supposed to cruise from NYC to the Bahamas October 1 on Breakaway.

My sister lives on Tortola. Haven't heard from her since Tuesday.
I hope you can word from her soon. I feel so sorry for everyone and everyplace that was or still in the path of Irma. Can always rebuild but can not replace people.

I have watched hurricane in the Caribbean for years. It will likely be about 2 weeks before we hear reliable information about the ports and their ability to receive large ships. That is step 1. Step 2 is learning when the island infrastructure is ready to receive visitors. Roads, wires, electricity, water. Are enough people able to work or still trying to survive? Taxi cars and buses? Shops? Boats for excursions? So many moving parts for cruise ships to visit.

You can be sure they want us back as soon as possible. The best comparison in recent years is Cozumel. Their cruise docks were destroyed. They were able to receive 2 ships tendering after a few months, But it was 2 years before they could receive 4 ships docked again.

St. Maarten and Tortola have devastating damage. St Thomas is unclear. San Juan port is okay but 1M without power.

My sister lives on Tortola. Haven't heard from her since Tuesday.

Hope she is OK, and that communications are the problem. I know you are worried beyond belief, but as of now there have no reports out of Tortola of injuries.

We should all keep everyone on all of the islands in our prayers or if that is not your thing then in your thoughts.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents, but cruises for most people are expensive and most only do them once a year, sometimes once every two years. Just because people are asking doesn't mean they don't care.

I think that was in reply to my deleted post. Thank you - I wasn't saying that people don't care about those affected. Just trying to stress that no one here knows what is going to happen.

Pretty bad. I know I have clients in St. Thomas and their plans are unknown. All the trees and plants had their leaves and greens ripped off. "Looks like a forest fire went through". It's bad. If if that wasn't enough, Jose is now a Cat 4 and taking aim on them next! Who knows how bad MIA and FLL ports will get hit. CNN was showing what a 6' storm surge would do... the city would be flooded and if the sea water contaminates the drinking water... that's really awful. They are predicting a 10' or more surge so CNN is saying... think about that. RCL took all their employees and families and set sail to ride it out at sea, away from Irma.

I'm not cruising until December, but I would guess, (and who knows how many will be cancelled completely until after this thing goes through Florida and the damage is accessed), but many eastern itineraries could be modified extensively for the foreseeable future. Prayers to everyone that has already been through it, or will still need to deal with it!

On reaching loved ones in Tortola and other hard hit Caribbean islands - please understand that basic communications are extremely limited to none. Please check with social media resources, i.e. FB's Safety Check, etc. Go to the site & look under Tortola Community Board

According to BVI News - "electricity and telecommunication services are down, and water supply has been disrupted ... first responders have become somewhat immobilized as a result of damage caused ... fire station, the police station mash up"

UK has dispatch one navy ship to assist and a 2nd. ship en route is not expected on station for 2 weeks. USVI - there are no internet access.

Ham (amateur) radio stations had gone offline before the storm to protect their antennas & transmitters ... been monitoring VHF low band's designated frequencies for radio traffic, and have not heard from them either - as they are generally well prepared and self-sufficient, prepared & equipped with backup & generator power, nowadays - many with solar power independent of the grids. It is NOT a good indicator & suggesting massive & extensive damages to these island's basic infrastructure.

Dutch & French governments apparently responded and pre-positioned their military assistance ahead of the storm and were on station almost immediately after Irma passed & deemed safe to begin recovery operations ... of course, Jose is now a Cat-4 storm & close enough to these islands to pose threats, but nothing near the destructions left behind by Irma. Other islanders nearby have been trying to reach out and offer aid, resources and whatever assistance needed.

I am sure GSC is going to be destroyed also so that is probably another stop that NCL will not be able to make. If anyone is doing an Eastern Caribbean Itinerary in 2017 I wouldn't count on going to any of those islands. These hurricanes are going through the upper Caribbean like a buzz saw and now Jose is taking aim at Antigua and Barbuda again. God help those people as they have suffered enough.

Hope she is OK, and that communications are the problem. I know you are worried beyond belief, but as of now there have no reports out of Tortola of injuries.

We should all keep everyone on all of the islands in our prayers or if that is not your thing then in your thoughts.

I've been praying since Monday.