Need Advice - What Would You Do????

MARLEY225

I am booked on the Southern Caribbean cruise on the Veendam on 8th December.

This cruise was going to be so special for me. My husband died last September. In our 47 years together we did 30 cruises. One of his favourite ships was the Veendam and his favourite island was St Martin.

I had arranged with HAL to scatter his ashes at sea and I was planning on planting a bush or something at Kakao restaurant at Orient Bay in his memory.

Among our ports of call are HMC, Tortola BVI, St Kitts, Guadeloupe, St Martin and San Juan. I don't know how many of those will still be possible.

This whole trip is costing about $18,000 for two of us including flights, hotels and transfers. Because of the rules for us in Europe I cannot cancel without losing a lot of this money.

I hope HAL do not cancel or make major changes to the itinerary like changing it to a Western Caribbean.

I guess, like everyone else, I will just have to wait and see. I just hope they give us good warning of the changes and not leave it until we have left home (which will be on the 5th)

I am very sorry to hear how this is impacting you :( I hope that if the itinerary is changed substantially that Holland America will work with you. Even though you are in Europe, imho it would be worth trying to get them to consider the special circumstances surrounding this planned trip in the hope that a solution that works for you can be reached. I wish you well.

I am booked on the Southern Caribbean cruise on the Veendam on 8th December.

This cruise was going to be so special for me. My husband died last September. In our 47 years together we did 30 cruises. One of his favourite ships was the Veendam and his favourite island was St Martin.

I had arranged with HAL to scatter his ashes at sea and I was planning on planting a bush or something at Kakao restaurant at Orient Bay in his memory.

Among our ports of call are HMC, Tortola BVI, St Kitts, Guadeloupe, St Martin and San Juan. I don't know how many of those will still be possible.

This whole trip is costing about $18,000 for two of us including flights, hotels and transfers. Because of the rules for us in Europe I cannot cancel without losing a lot of this money.

I hope HAL do not cancel or make major changes to the itinerary like changing it to a Western Caribbean.

I guess, like everyone else, I will just have to wait and see. I just hope they give us good warning of the changes and not leave it until we have left home (which will be on the 5th)

I'm very sorry to read of your ddisappointment. I can only imagine the pain it is costinng you and hope you somehow are surprised to learn, i t may not be as dismal as it now appears. Wishing you all the best.

I am booked on the Southern Caribbean cruise on the Veendam on 8th December. This cruise was going to be so special for me. My husband died last September. In our 47 years together we did 30 cruises. One of his favourite ships was the Veendam and his favourite island was St Martin. I had arranged with HAL to scatter his ashes at sea and I was planning on planting a bush or something at Kakao restaurant at Orient Bay in his memory. Among our ports of call are HMC, Tortola BVI, St Kitts, Guadeloupe, St Martin and San Juan. I don't know how many of those will still be possible. This whole trip is costing about $18,000 for two of us including flights, hotels and transfers. Because of the rules for us in Europe I cannot cancel without losing a lot of this money. I hope HAL do not cancel or make major changes to the itinerary like changing it to a Western Caribbean. I guess, like everyone else, I will just have to wait and see. I just hope they give us good warning of the changes and not leave it until we have left home (which will be on the 5th)
I'm very sorry to read of your ddisappointment. I can only imagine the pain it is costinng you and hope you somehow are surprised to learn, i t may not be as dismal as it now appears. Wishing you all the best.

In the USA, credit card payment would carry an insurance benefit for situations such as the one you envision. However, some of the best laid plans come from necessary changes. If the cruise cancels you still have the USA as your destination and I would imagine a number of your fellow cruise critic companions would assist in suggestions that would allow you to plan an alternate trip that your dear husband would have enjoyed. You could always take him with you in spirit and delay formal remembrances for some future date. Wishing you peace and happiness with what I'm sure are wonderful memories.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends on the discount or the fare that you have currently booked.

I suspect that some others will be cancelling and that future bookings will be slow. It could well be an opportunity to rebook both at an even greater reduction than you already have. Or score a great upgrade for the same fare.

Cancelling will give you flexibility. It is a risk worth considering depending on your personality and your current fare rate.

Sounds like your airfare is locked and loaded. IF you do cancel, start watching other ships/itineraries. Early Dec. is a low price period...even more so with Irma damage at home and on the islands. There is bound to be some price elasticity.

But...we are used to booking late and playing the odds. Just make a decision and move forward.

Depends on the discount or the fare that you have currently booked.

I suspect that some others will be cancelling and that future bookings will be slow. It could well be an opportunity to rebook both at an even greater reduction than you already have. Or score a great upgrade for the same fare.

Cancelling will give you flexibility. It is a risk worth considering depending on your personality and your current fare rate.

Sounds like your airfare is locked and loaded. IF you do cancel, start watching other ships/itineraries. Early Dec. is a low price period...even more so with Irma damage at home and on the islands. There is bound to be some price elasticity.

But...we are used to booking late and playing the odds. Just make a decision and move forward.

Unfortunately, cancelling and re-booking another cruise is not an option for us in Europe. Even if HAL agreed to this it is unlikely that I could find a cruise fitting in with our flights.

The airlines (Spain to UK and UK to Miami) will not refund our fare. We have travel insurance (it cost us €900) but I am not sure whether this will be covered as it is 'act of God'.

We are already booked into a Neptune Suite so unlikely we will get an upgrade.

I would rather have extra days at sea than Western Caribbean. I don't like any of the ports of call there. The friend I am going with it is his first cruise and I am not sure how he would get on with more days at sea - we already have four.

As I said before, I hope HAL will give us enough warning so we can decide what to do.

I'm also on the 11/8 K sailing. Hasn't even entered my mind to cancel. I do anticipate there may be some port changes, particularly St Martin.

I don't sail for the ship, I sail for the ports, but there really aren't any that I mind visiting. Hey, I even get off the ship and wander around Nassau and Freeport! ;)

I sailed on Carnival 2 months after Hurricane Erika hit Dominica. We still did our (independent) island tour. Yes, there was lots of damage with bridges washed out, downed trees, etc.

I also feel that spending my dollars using local tour companies and eating in local establishments is one of the ways I can help while still having an enjoyable vacation.

Unfortunately, cancelling and re-booking another cruise is not an option for us in Europe. Even if HAL agreed to this it is unlikely that I could find a cruise fitting in with our flights.

The airlines (Spain to UK and UK to Miami) will not refund our fare. We have travel insurance (it cost us €900) but I am not sure whether this will be covered as it is 'act of God'.

We are already booked into a Neptune Suite so unlikely we will get an upgrade.

I would rather have extra days at sea than Western Caribbean. I don't like any of the ports of call there. The friend I am going with it is his first cruise and I am not sure how he would get on with more days at sea - we already have four.

As I said before, I hope HAL will give us enough warning so we can decide what to do.

my bold...

I'm sorry to hear your dilemma and the reasons for your cruise trip. But what decision or warning from HAL are your waiting for? A new itinerary? If the itinerary changes, and it probably will have to, you still can't cancel your cruise and get any refund. HAL will not give refunds for itinerary changes.

But if you are totally set for specific ports, maybe you could forego the cruise (no refund unless you have insurance for "cancel for any reason") but still use your flights and add flights and hotels for land visits to the ports you absolutely must visit. Then it wouldn't be a total loss.

I hope it all works out for you but I don't think HAL is the turning point of your decisions because ports are never guaranteed. You either take the risk or make plans that are more in your control. m--