Harmony mini-cruise Sept 12 - who's still going?

Tony20

We are still going! We live in Florida and are riding out the storm today. Ready for her to get here and be gone already!

Excited to get in the Harmony on Tuesday as this was supposed to be the first week of our first ever B2B. We will just have 10 days now instead of 14.

We will be still going as its our honeymoon, we were meant to fly Dublin,Ireland to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday but we changed flights(free of charge thanks to aer lingus) went to New York for a few days when we got news the cruise was shortened so once we can get from New York to Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday morning we be on the harmony for the 4 days!!!

My husband and I are still waiting till Monday night to see the damage in that area and if the port will open for sure, cause we want to sail on the 4 night cruise but Ft.Lauderdale airport is not supposed to open till noon, so we plan on driving the 550 miles starting late Monday night if the roads are open and gas available. This was supposed to be our 50th anniversary cruise. Our anniversary was yesterday (the original 1st day of our cruise.) :rolleyes:

In Orlando with bags packed and a car full of gas. Not sure how crazy the roads will be Monday/Tuesday with all the returnees. We may leave midnight on Monday to avoid the crush. I've slept in the car plenty of times.

If it gets pushed to Wednesday, we'll adjust.

We are in north florida area. We are already getting bad winds and some lost of power in some areas of Panama City, Fl. We aren't supposed to get the full effect until around noon tomorrow. If the roads are driveable , we have decided to take our truck instead of car, as truck is lifted some. We can also carry a can of gas with us in the back, tied down.

w

I just wonder how so many people will be able to get in and out of FLL on Tuesday.

It is really just a wait and see what happens. Even if the airports do open, that doesn't mean the airlines will instantly start flying planes in. It is going to take a little while to get things ramped up and back to some sense of normalcy.

Well United cancelled our flight this morning and said all flights in the area were full for 72 hrs. Put us on Delta to Miami today. Was told airport will open this afternoon. The adventure begins will we make it or not. Time will tell!

Amazing that MIA could open so soon. Good luck!

Well United cancelled our flight this morning and said all flights in the area were full for 72 hrs. Put us on Delta to Miami today. Was told airport will open this afternoon. The adventure begins will we make it or not. Time will tell!

I just read an article (I believe it was on CNN) that stated Miami airport will be closed Monday and they don't have an opening time yet. I hope you are able to get on a flight (to MIA or FLL or anywhere else) and make the cruise.

Talked to several at Delta that said this (4pm) flight would be one of the first to land today. So the question is do we trust the media or the Airlines?

I honestly don't know, but the Miami airport twitter page says there are no passenger flights coming in on September 11th and they have to do a damage assessment to determine if they will be ready for flights on Tuesday. I've heard from a friend that works at the airport that there is some significant water damage to the area he works, but he doesn't work anywhere near passenger areas.

Edit- reading through twitter comments (yes, trustworthy I know) it looks as if there is a miscommunication between the airlines and the airport. The airport is saying it is closed but many airlines are reporting to be operating on time. I am thinking the airport will "win" and the flights will ultimately be cancelled, there just hasn't been formal communication yet. If I were you I would be looking into any other options that might be available while waiting for the call from Delta.

This was quoted in CBS story from a FLL employee

Another concern the airport is facing is the four cruise ships docking at Port Everglades on Tuesday.

“We are in communications with Port Everglades, not directly with the cruise ships. But they all know our concerns and our challenges,” Meyer said. “We want to make sure that what they don’t do is come to port and then unload all those passengers, bring them to the airport when we don’t have the aircraft to take them home.”

Both Miami and FLL websites are still not giving any all clear to open at any specific time. Our airline rep said they are not rebooking anything for Tues at this time. we are not worrying about getting there this week for any mini cruise as they need to focus on getting people off and HOME before they bring more of us into ground zero adding to the congestion and confusion.

Four cruise ships on Tuesday? With questionable flights, IF airports will be open, is the least of south Florida's problems. With power outages, flooded areas, trees down, no gas and mandatory curfew. I see on the Portfever webcam, the only camera up of Ft Lauderdale beach, Los Olas and A1A, shows high lifts "plowing" the sand off the road, now I see it more clearly on our local news station. IF the ships dock, I can't even imagine how they would be able to get around. I am going to "assume" that taxi's, shuttles, buss' would not even be available, let alone, take passengers to an airport that is trying to get up and running on a "normal" schedule, with planes scattered all over the country, and, I have checked various hotels around the port area and they are showing they are closed. This doesn't seem logical for people to even think they are cruising tomorrow.

Talked to several at Delta that said this (4pm) flight would be one of the first to land today. So the question is do we trust the media or the Airlines?

All the airlines want to get flights back on schedule ASAP but it depends on conditions at the affected airports. I'd watch for their reopening schedule. In your case, DAL has cancelled many flights to, from, thru ATL today, Monday. Since that is a hub for Delta, it could also impact other Delta flights, even those not scheduled to go thru ATL, because crew and equipment will be out of position.

Keep checking your flights and airport status and hope for the best.

As we talked, it is ludicrous to even think the ships want to come in and dump thousands of people off tomorrow..

Our prayers are with them all and what they still have ahead of them with the POLLYANNA cruise lines and James Van Fleet answers fir RCCL.. you can deal with reality much better than fantasy..