Club Class and Formal Nights

triptolemus

The Princess FAQ states that formal night attire must be observed in the traditional dining and anytime dining venues. Since Club Class is neither, I am trying to determine whether or not formal night attire applies to Club Class dining.

Correct (although it's a recommendation/request to observe) and you will be seated in one of the main dining rooms (typically 3 of them depending on the ship). It's just a designated area in the dining room - it's not like a separate room or walled off area like a specialty restaurant. They use a section of one of the mid-ship DR's. So, yes it applies.

Alright, thanks... appreciate it.

I'm not trying to stir up the debate, just want to know what to expect. We don't do formal nights, and as such, steer clear from the DRs. I don't try to crowbar my dockers and button-down as formal. We will dine elsewhere.

Thanks again.

The Princess FAQ states that formal night attire must be observed in the traditional dining and anytime dining venues. Since Club Class is neither, I am trying to determine whether or not formal night attire applies to Club Class dining.

Club class is just a section of one of the MDR's so, yes, the dress code (not suggested dress) does apply

Club class is just a section of one of the MDR's so, yes, the dress code (not suggested dress) does apply
The actual wording is:

"...please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues..." The dress code is listed as "Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women" and "Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men" even though the dress code is usually not strictly, or in some cases even loosely, enforced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were three couples who hung out together at the 2-tops in Club Class Dining on the Pacific Princess. On formal nights, one guy wore a shirt/tie but no jacket, my hubby wore a dark suit, and the other man wore a tux. The maitre'D did not ask the man with no jacket to get one, nor was he refused entry to the Club Class section of the dining room. Ymmw.

The actual wording is:

"...please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues..." The dress code is listed as "Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women" and "Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men" even though the dress code is usually not strictly, or in some cases even loosely, enforced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely does not state "suggested"

Thanks everyone.

Like I said, I'm not looking to fire up the formal debate and I know everyone could use a break from that. I was just wondering if the dress code applied to Club Class and we have that answer. DW and I will avoid formal nights and eat elsewhere, or do the suite room service thing.

Alright, thanks... appreciate it.

I'm not trying to stir up the debate, just want to know what to expect. We don't do formal nights, and as such, steer clear from the DRs. I don't try to crowbar my dockers and button-down as formal. We will dine elsewhere.

Thanks again.

We don't pack formal wear either. We were on the Caribbean Princess last month and had Club Class dining.

The head waiter in Club Class told us that they were not strict on formal night and we were welcome to dine in Club Class in smart casual. We already had a reservation for the Crown Grill so we did not see if anyone was in Club Class in smart casual attire on formal night.

I would suggest you dine in Club Class before formal night and ask the head waiter about the required dress on formal nights.

We don't pack formal wear either. We were on the Caribbean Princess last month and had Club Class dining.

The head waiter in Club Class told us that they were not strict on formal night and we were welcome to dine in Club Class in smart casual. We already had a reservation for the Crown Grill so we did not see if anyone was in Club Class in smart casual attire on formal night.

I would suggest you dine in Club Class before formal night and ask the head waiter about the required dress on formal nights.

This is good. Thanks!

IDK why we have to continuously re-debate the wording of the Clothing Recommendations that is published in black&white for all to read. Yes, that is the title used by Princess in the website FAQ's for "What to Pack" and in the Cruise Answer Book in the "What to Bring" section. It is the overall title of the section in large letters. "Recommendations" does not equal "Requirements"... but let's all play along okay?

Then they use wording like "You should dress"... "We recommend..", "Guest attire should be..." "... please observe...." .. none of which are "musts". They do say "be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites" .. in other words be forewarned or you can be denied.

Also, they state that "Inappropriate dinner wear .... <with examples> .. will not be permitted ..... shoes must be worn". Now those are two absolute statements with no equivocation.

I will close with something I happened on from Princess' Germany website (so it might be the same for other countries over there):

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

• Smart casual:
    Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant.

• Formal:
    Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies, suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen. Princess Cruises offers formal wear rental on all cruises.

Seems a lot simpler and those folks will be on cruises with those of us seeing North American publications. I guess it's more of the inconsistency, although very similar.

Same thing on France website .. so probably all of Europe.

Edited by steelers36
New info

Sorry to say, but this claim is patently false. Club Class dining is Anytime Dining, period, end of debate. It is a capacity-controlled function, but it is undoubtedly still Anytime Dining:

It's not Traditional Dining; you don't have to show up at a particular time, merely when the doors are open.

It's not a Specialty Restaurant: you don't have to make a reservation or pay a cover charge.

It's not a casual fare restaurant: the meal is served in courses like any other MDR.

The menu is the same as what other MDR passengers see: there could be a secret special that's not on the menu, but that's no different than the themed MDRs aboard the Diamond/Sapphire Princess.

CC is in an MDR. TD is in an MDR. ATD is in an MDR.

Now back to the other debates that are running rampant in this thread.

Sorry to say, but this claim is patently false. Club Class dining is Anytime Dining, period, end of debate.

I don't need a reprimand from you. I wasn't looking to debate the matter. You'll notice I wasn't sure which is why I asked. The other ancillary conversations are not my concern.

To me, it seems pretty easy for Princess to edit the FAQ to include "Club Class" next to "Anytime" and "Traditional" where they describe the dress code.

It's a small "d", small "c" dress code and therefore a common noun referring to whatever is the prevailing standard (in other words, whatever the guy at the door says is OK) and not to some written regulation which would be the "Dress Code". Some examples that would definitely comply follow.

Check with the Head Waiter on your first night in Club Class dining area and go with what he says. Why worry about what anyone else says as they have no control of what is allowed. Enjoy your cruise.

Agreed. Enjoyed 18 nights (well technically 16 since we ate one night at Sterling Steakhouse and one dinner in our suite from the MDR menu ) of Club Class Dining on the Pacific Princess. The Maitre'D allowed a diner with no jacket to eat in CC on our 3 formal nights. Although we were dressed per code, it didn't bother us. We chatted as usual and we also took turns sitting at the window on alternating nights.

Enjoy your cruise.

Agreed. Enjoyed 18 nights (well technically 16 since we ate one night at Sterling Steakhouse and one dinner in our suite from the MDR menu ) of Club Class Dining on the Pacific Princess. The Maitre'D allowed a diner with no jacket to eat in CC on our 3 formal nights. Although we were dressed per code, it didn't bother us. We chatted as usual and we also took turns sitting at the window on alternating nights.

Enjoy your cruise.

Reading that brought a smile. When we cruise with our friends we rotate one seat clockwise or counterclockwise each night at our 4-top - it's just automatic. :cool: