Former loyal HAL cruiser is returning

ernieb

As mentioned in a previous post, we were 3 star mariners who abandoned HAL due to the previous smoking policy. Since they changed the policy we are coming back:hearteyes:.

We have just booked the 12 day cruise on the Koningsdam out of Amsterdam to Rome on 9/16/18.

We reserved Neptune Suite 7087 which looks like it should have a wonderful verandah. Anyone familiar with this suite have pointers of which we should be aware?

I'm sure we will have many more questions and look forward to the help we have always received from the HAL CC folks.

What changes were made to the smoking policy? How sad that this is your primary reason for choosing one cruise line over another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would guess that prohibiting smoking being banned on balconies brought the OP back to HAL. I know it made me happy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

What changes were made to the smoking policy? How sad that this is your primary reason for choosing one cruise line over another. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smoking used to be allowed on balconies, but no longer. Smoke drifting from an adjacent or nearby balcony can make it miserable to the point that one may not be able to use the [expensive] balcony they paid for.

OP: Hope you have a great cruise, sorry I can't relate to the suites questions. There have been some changes to HAL as with other cruise lines, some innovations and some you might see as cut backs, but overall I stick to my motto: It's hard to have a bad on a cruise ship... and I would think especially in a suite! Enjoy, m--

Yes, the ban on smoking on the verandahs is what convinced us to give HAL another try.

In 2014 we did a 24 day B2B in the Med. The first 12 days were wonderful. For the second 12 days there were 2 "ladies" in the suite just forward of ours who spent each evening on their balcony smoking. Both my DW and I are allergic to smoke and this prevented us from enjoying the very nice balcony for which we paid dearly. We have since sailed on the Royal Princess and the Silversea Muse, both very nice, but we missed the Neptune suites on HAL.

I'm very glad to hear the good report on 7087. Sounds like we will have the SA Suite we love along with a much larger balcony which we may enjoy without being concerned about smoke ruining it for us.:cool:

Thank you.

Yes, the ban on smoking on the verandahs is what convinced us to give HAL another try.

Agreed. My last HAL cruise on Oosterdam was my final HAL cruise under the old policies. I swore them off until they changed. Now, I'm looking forward to 11 wonderful nights on Koningsdam in November on my smoke-free balcony. :)

We were happy to see this change.

Odd, we did not really see HAL's business tanking as a result of this change as some posters were predicting.

It is really a matter of demographics. In recent years smoking has declined most among higher educated higher income Americans: precisely the group more likely to want to pay for balcony cabins. HAL finally realized that for every smoker who might be turned away if he were not able to smoke on his balcony, there were probably three or more non-smokers who did not want to risk breathing second hand smoke on his balcony.