Pisa or Lucca

peterstl

• 4 weeks later...

Every once in a while, I feel I must pipe up and defend Pisa. :D

Saying that there is nothing worth doing there beyond snapping a quick photo of the tower is not doing the city justice.

If you can get tickets to climb the tower, it’s much better than a distant photo. Your feet are stepping on the very same steps that Galileo’s feet stepped. History was made on those steps. The stone treads are worn and dished from centuries of feet climbing them, and the view from the top is great.

Pisa has one of the oldest Jewish cemeteries still in use in the world. It was first documented in 859. Definitely worth a look.

The Battistero in the Piazza dei Miracoli has amazing harmonics. Most of the guards there will periodically sing a note, and you can listen while they sing in harmony with themselves.

Along the river Arno, there is a tiny Gothic church, Santa Maria Della Spina, built in 1230. It’s like a little jewel box.

Since Pisa was a successful maritime republic, maritime history buffs might enjoy the Museum of Ancient Ships of Pisa. They have well-preserved Roman ships found in the area, and artefacts such as clay amphorae full of cherries, wine, olives, etc. from those ships.

A short walk away from the annoying vendors and overpriced touristy restaurants, Pisa has a buzzy, studenty vibe, from the University, founded in 1343. And away from the Piazza, there are many restaurants serving delicious Tuscan food and wine for much more sensible prices.

Yes, the Cinque Terre area is beautiful, Lucca is pretty and fun, but Pisa has lots to offer too.

Edited by lisiamc

lisiamc, thank you so much for posting the above. I'm going to Florence (and Venice) with my son in November. He wants to see and climb the tower in Pisa, of course. I was feeling a little put-upon. Went there, did that a long time ago and wasn't too impressed with Pisa. If it was up to me, I'd want to spend my time in Florence or maybe go to Siena. But your suggestions are great. I'm inspired to plan something more than just a quick couple of hours to see the tower.

Not usually a fan of ship booked excursions...but the one we did (with RCI) was actually a DIY stopping at Pisa and then several hour's in Florence on own..this ended up being a great option for our first visit...no need to worry about transportation and the guide onboard our bus was amazing.

I did this and also agree. Pisa was always something I wanted to see. Nothing wrong with that. It’s a world famous landmark. Then onto Florence not enough time of course to explore this amazing city, but enough to whet your appetite so you will come back for a land vacation. Exploring Europe by ocean cruiseliner is what it is. Pop in see a bit and you’re on your way.

Thanks! An early visit to Pisa is one of the reasons I fell in love with Italy. And cruisemom, if you’re having art withdrawal, you could try the National Museum of Saint Mathew. It’s a pretty interesting gallery with some works by Andrea della Robbia, Giovanni Pisano and others,

To me Pisa is one of the things I had to see in my lifetime, a bit of a bucket list thing. It is a pain I have to admit to do the 15 minute walk each way to the transport for a whole stop that can be done in 10 minutes if not climbing the tower but that box s ticked. However I enjoyed Lucca so much more, more to see, lovely place to stop for lunch. However cinque terre won for me over both of these. I've been lucky enough to go to all 3 and of you can only choose between Lucca and Pisa then I'd suggest you can do both with a private tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been fortunate enough to spend several days on land trips in both Cinque Terre (before the landslides) and Lucca.

We enjoyed both equally but for different reasons. We had been Italy several times before visiting Pisa. So glad we did not make a special trip for it. We decided to train to Pisa when we had a free afternoon in Lucca. It was spur of the moment.

We enjoyed seeing it but did not bother lining up to go in or to make reservations.

So you can definately see it. But it is worth an hour our so, not an entire day in our opinion. So if you are going to Lucca it is an easy stop on the train. Not so if you are going the other way to Cinque Terre. One stop before or after Pisa Centrale (depends on which way you are travelling. Just get off with all the university students and follow them down the road. When you start to see the tour busses you know that you are close. I would say about 1/4 from the train station to the tower.