Do we need to carry passports on day trip to Rome from Civitavecchia ?

Doughty3

The law says "government issued identification". If the UK offers something other than a passport that meets the definition then you've got an option.

The issue for Americans is that driving licenses are state issued and that doesn't rise to the Italian definition of government issued.

The odds of having an issue where a passport is required (an accident, needing to cross Schengen borders, a police incident) are very low for most of us so many chose to leave their passport on the ship and accept the small risk of not having it on their person when they need it. In the case of a police incident, not having your passport can cause them to hold you at the police station until it is retrieved (in other words, someone else in your party goes back to the ship and returns to Rome with it) but it's not like you'd be tossed in jail.

Euro cruiser gives a good summary of the situation. For most, if you want to abide by the "letter of the law", then a passport can be seen as necessary. On the other hand, this is not a new law and I have traveled in Italy for many years without keeping my passport with me at all times, as have thousands of others. I have never encountered any problems in doing this. However, no one would be able to "absolutely guarantee" that you will not be asked to produce the required ID.

As someone who has been pickpocketed before in Europe, I am perhaps over-concerned about it happening again and I prefer to leave my passport (as well as a spare credit card, extra cash, etc.) in my hotel room or ship cabin. If you do decide you need to carry yours, I highly recommend you take steps to secure it -- e.g., don't just put it into a purse or backpack and assume it's safe there. Carry it under your clothing in a safety belt, hidden pouch or pocket.

Is it compulsory to carry original passport everywhere in Italy?

We're DIYing on the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and would be worried about security. Is any other ID acceptable for U.K. citizens?

Any advice welcome, thank you.

On our cruise, cruise line collected our passports so it was no possible to take it with us, not that I would eve do it. I believe if port demand to have passport cruise line will let you know.

We live in Italy for six months every year. We have Italian ID cards, UK driving licences, and passports. The only ones of these that we carry on a regular basis is the driving licence, because the carabinieri have no sense of humour at all if they find someone driving without a licence with them,

The requirement is there. The enforcement is vanishingly rare, as cruisemom and euro cruiser both point out. In a touristy city, I'd take the (tiny) chance and leave my passport in the safe, as I had my pocket picked once too. Everyone has their own comfort zone, though.

The big exception is Venice, where other cruisers, notably JB, have reported that passports are necessary to reboard the ship.

No need to carry the passport. However, we always carry a photocopy of the passport with us in addition to a driver's licence. It s a good intermediate step to take in case of an emergency. Keeping a photo of the passport on your phone is also a good idea.