Trying to understand the "guarantee" reservation

calteacher

Having done only inside guarantees for 20 or so HAL cruises, I found that increased Mariner level brought more room upgrades, so I often get oceanview, larger insides, or even a roomy handicap cabin once. I cruise alone, so I'm fine with even the tiniest MM, and my only upgrading to a balcony was a negative experience--wind, fear of heights, bickering neighbors, people ignoring the no-smoking rule, and cleaners going onto my balcony from the next cabin on debarkation morning while I wasn't dressed. Since then I'm happier to save my money and spend my outdoor time on the peaceful and spacious promenade decks instead.

I actually enjoy the excitement of guarantees, seeing where my room will be, the surprise and variety of the rooms, looking on halfacts.com to see if there are photos of the room. For some reason I haven't had upsell offers in some time, which I actually like, because it teaches me to be happy with what I get, which helps me be accepting about everything else on a cruise I can't control, whether it's lines, weather, seas, entertainment, or 400-lb people getting out of the hot tubs :D.

I actually enjoy the excitement of guarantees, seeing where my room will be, the surprise and variety of the rooms, looking on halfacts.com to see if there are photos of the room. For some reason I haven't had upsell offers in some time, which I actually like, because it teaches me to be happy with what I get, which helps me be accepting about everything else on a cruise I can't control, whether it's lines, weather, seas, entertainment, or 400-lb people getting out of the hot tubs :D.

Well said!!!!

I just checked online to see what rooms are still available and the prices have tripled since yesterday with many suites and higher level balcony rooms available. With 21 days to go the excitement of where we will end up is building.....maybe I need to get the suitcases out to distract myself;)

Sherri

I just checked online to see what rooms are still available and the prices have tripled since yesterday with many suites and higher level balcony rooms available. With 21 days to go the excitement of where we will end up is building.....maybe I need to get the suitcases out to distract myself;)

Sherri

SORT of like the excitement of building up to Christmas Eve..... you know that you WILL get a present, but the question is of what's IN the package..... and I have my suitcase out and starting to put odds and ends into it..... I will pack and repack about 5 times..... it's part of the ritual :D:D:D:D as we are both after balcony guarantees, wonder who will "win" the competition....ha ha

SORT of like the excitement of building up to Christmas Eve..... you know that you WILL get a present, but the question is of what's IN the package..... and I have my suitcase out and starting to put odds and ends into it..... I will pack and repack about 5 times..... it's part of the ritual :D:D:D:D as we are both after balcony guarantees, wonder who will "win" the competition....ha ha

I think I've come to the conclusion that guarantee rooms are not for me........this waiting is making me a bit crazy:o. And have probably at least a week wait yet since the cruise is still 16 days away.

Sherri

I think I've come to the conclusion that guarantee rooms are not for me........this waiting is making me a bit crazy:o. And have probably at least a week wait yet since the cruise is still 16 days away.

Sherri

Good things come to those that wait (so they say...) ;p

Sherri

5 times in a guaranteed cabin on HAL in the last 4 years... we have never been disappointed yet. Such a savings and so worth it in our opinion. Yes, the waiting is the hardest part. Hint, if you go on Travelocity and search room categories it shows the availability in different cabins that are not always shown on HAL website. This sleuthing has never let us down...

;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

t part. Hint, if you go on Travelocity and search room categories it shows the availability in different cabins that are not always shown on HAL website. This sleuthing has never let us down...

;-)

What's the benefit of this? Did you book thru them in a guarantee category that you didn't see elsewhere? Figuring out what cabins are available won't help you since it's not like they ask you what cabin you want.

PS travel agents should not be mentioned by name here.

5 times in a guaranteed cabin on HAL in the last 4 years... we have never been disappointed yet. Such a savings and so worth it in our opinion. Yes, the waiting is the hardest part. Hint, if you go on Travelocity and search room categories it shows the availability in different cabins that are not always shown on HAL website. This sleuthing has never let us down...

;-)

I've already scoped out the rooms showing available and marked them on copies

of the deck plans . Not that it really matters in the long run but makes me feel better;)

Sherri

I've already scoped out the rooms showing available and marked them on copies

of the deck plans . Not that it really matters in the long run but makes me feel better;)

Sherri

Happy October 25th Hues of Blue - I just check the HAL pages and I got my cabin assignment sometime in the last 3 hours. Was at a balcony guarantee and managed to score a VB category!. Happy, happy, happy dance.....

Happy October 25th Hues of Blue - I just check the HAL pages and I got my cabin assignment sometime in the last 3 hours. Was at a balcony guarantee and managed to score a VB category!. Happy, happy, happy dance.....

Congrats!! where did you find it ? I'm still waiting,I checked about an hour ago and nothing yet. I will keep you posted:)

Sherri

We booked a Guarantee for our South American cruise this December. I see that our sailing is sold out. I wonder what impact this will have on our luck with a better grade of cabin?[emoji848][emoji854]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

We booked a Guarantee for our South American cruise this December. I see that our sailing is sold out. I wonder what impact this will have on our luck with a better grade of cabin?
When a cruise is sold out, that does not mean that every category is exactly filled, only that the maximum capacity of the ship has been reached. Some bottom-step categories in each class (inside, OV, suite) could be oversold with guarantees while upper levels are undersold. Undersold categories will still show as sold out, because they already have enough people to fill them, just not all cabins are assigned. HAL will first try to upsell the oversold groups, then whatever is left over will be upgraded for free. So - the ship being sold out in total is not sufficient information to predict the chances of an upgrade. Edited by catl331

When a cruise is sold out, that does not mean that every category is exactly filled, only that the maximum capacity of the ship has been reached. Some bottom-step categories in each class (inside, OV, suite) could be oversold with guarantees while upper levels are undersold. Undersold categories will still show as sold out, because they already have enough people to fill them, just not all cabins are assigned. HAL will first try to upsell the oversold groups, then whatever is left over will be upgraded for free. So - the ship being sold out in total is not sufficient information to predict the chances of an upgrade.
That's helpful info. Thanks. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

When a cruise is sold out, that does not mean that every category is exactly filled, only that the maximum capacity of the ship has been reached. Some bottom-step categories in each class (inside, OV, suite) could be oversold with guarantees while upper levels are undersold. Undersold categories will still show as sold out, because they already have enough people to fill them, just not all cabins are assigned. HAL will first try to upsell the oversold groups, then whatever is left over will be upgraded for free. So - the ship being sold out in total is not sufficient information to predict the chances of an upgrade.

I had not considered this, but it does explain some situations I have run into - like Neptunes being sold out and then being offered an upsell later?? Last minute cancellations do happen, especially when you have about 2000 passengers and travel cancellation insurance by many of them.

Leaving Nov. 8th on Koningsdam, just got room assignment tonight, have just been checking 10 times per day. LOL Booked cheapest inside guarantee and got interior spa stateroom. Pretty happy with the location, really high up though.

I hope I get that lucky! I would love for my cabin to be that close to the cabana I have booked! :) Only a year or so to wait for my assignment. LOL

Good things come to those that wait (so they say...) ;p

We went from a VF guarantee to VB,a room on deck 10 at the very front. I went online and saw that an aft extended balcony room on deck 5 was available and also a VB. A quick call to our TA and we now have a sweet room at the back of the ship:D:D

10 more days to go!!:cool::cool:

Sherri

I usually do online checking myself. This time I expect the TA will do it. However, we are in a Guarantee. Do you think the timing of checking in online affects your Guarantee chances of being given an upgrade?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk