MSC SEASIDE. ANY Chages to itinerary?

bchbum4000

This is an article from today's associated press:

The storm has claimed at least 10 lives in Puerto Rico so far, according to the Associated Press. But John Mutter, a Columbia University professor who specializes in natural disasters and studied the death toll from Hurricane Katrina, expects in the coming days it will reach into the hundreds.

“Being without power is huge,” says Mutter. “Just how quickly they can get it back is still an unknown thing. But it’s extremely important they get it going to suppress the chances of illness following the storm.”

"The devastation in Puerto Rico has set us back nearly 20 to 30 years," Puerto Rico Resident Commissioner Jenniffer Gonzalez told CBS News. "I can't deny that the Puerto Rico of now is different from that of a week ago. The destruction of properties, of flattened structures, of families without homes, of debris everywhere. The island's greenery is gone."

No one knows for sure, everyone responding is speculating. If you are asking for opinions, I do not think st Martin will be accepting cruise ships this year but I think San Juan is possible. Be prepared though, it will take years to get a full set of tours up and running again. Of course, this is my speculation:).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion. All we can do is follow the news. I'm hoping that people who are going on cruises soon will write their reviews here. I know there isn't an answer now, but maybe as time goes on we will have better insight and information.

75 % of San Juan is back with power , lots of mess but progressing well. I am sure in month Port and hotels will be open. lots of money involved ,they not gonna loose it.

I have a January Seaside cruise that I will be attending regardless of the Puerto Rico stop. Because of this I have taken keen interest in the media reports. Please provide the media source that stated 75% of San Juan is back-up because I have not been able to validate your assertion. In fact, I just read a tweet from the PR governor, from San Juan, stating this is a humanitarian crisis. Other reports state almost all of the 1.6 million residents are without power and no power is in-sight for some time.

This was not a land based storm where crews from neighboring States can stream in to restore power. Instead it will take significant time, technical expertise and material. Especially problematic, shipping that material in. It has to be shipped, unloaded, transported and installed. PR had, according to reports, a brittle energy grid and this shattered it.

I have a January Seaside cruise that I will be attending regardless of the Puerto Rico stop. Because of this I have taken keen interest in the media reports. Please provide the media source that stated 75% of San Juan is back-up because I have not been able to validate your assertion. In fact, I just read a tweet from the PR governor, from San Juan, stating this is a humanitarian crisis. Other reports state almost all of the 1.6 million residents are without power and no power is in-sight for some time.

This was not a land based storm where crews from neighboring States can stream in to restore power. Instead it will take significant time, technical expertise and material. Especially problematic, shipping that material in. It has to be shipped, unloaded, transported and installed. PR had, according to reports, a brittle energy grid and this shattered it.

I know our local National Guard was sent to help in Florida. I wonder if they will send some National Guard down to Puerto Rico & the Virgin Islands to help out. I am anxiously awaiting all reports as we have the Seaside booked for 1/20.

Please.... I am sure both ports will be open in a month max. By December for sure they will be open to cruise ships.

A month max? I doubt that. There is no way either of those ports will be ready in a month. They're not going to be ready in 3 or 4 months. We leave the beginning of January, and San Juan and St. Maarten are both on our itinerary. I pray for these islands, however, I'm from SW Florida, and if I want to see devastation on my vacation, I can see that right here at home.

People are curious as to what's going on, because many have final payments coming due, and don't want to be penalized if they decide to cancel, because they're not interested in going to the itinerary that the ship is offering. I would also like to know where we will be going before-hand, for if they're taking us somewhere like Cozumel, I can go on a ship going out at a port more local to me, on a 4 day cruise to go there, and save thousands of dollars doing so.

Our finial payment is due in January. Every report I see including the Gov of Puerto Rico on tv telling of the devastation there. No where have I heard that there is 75% electricity in San Juan. I pray for those poor people and the struggles they are going through. Hopefully help will get there soon.

Our finial payment is due in January. Every report I see including the Gov of Puerto Rico on tv telling of the devastation there. No where have I heard that there is 75% electricity in San Juan. I pray for those poor people and the struggles they are going through. Hopefully help will get there soon.

Agreed. Watching a live report on the news right now. Looks like hell and from what the residents are saying..omg. Even the curfew has been changed because of the heavy looting.

It sure is, but they are saying the devastation is so horrible it will take more than months possibly years

It will take years for PR to be completely rebuilt. San Juan will be up and running in months, though. They need that revenue to fund the rebuilding of the rest of the island, so it will be open for business much more quickly than you think. Once the port is open, recovery will start moving very quickly.

A month max? I doubt that. There is no way either of those ports will be ready in a month. They're not going to be ready in 3 or 4 months. We leave the beginning of January, and San Juan and St. Maarten are both on our itinerary. I pray for these islands, however, I'm from SW Florida, and if I want to see devastation on my vacation, I can see that right here at home.

People are curious as to what's going on, because many have final payments coming due, and don't want to be penalized if they decide to cancel, because they're not interested in going to the itinerary that the ship is offering. I would also like to know where we will be going before-hand, for if they're taking us somewhere like Cozumel, I can go on a ship going out at a port more local to me, on a 4 day cruise to go there, and save thousands of dollars doing so.

Ports will be ready and most hotels will be ready . I understand people want to know, as for me I don't care what island to go I saw them all and sometimes don't even leave the ship. :rolleyes: We went to Grand Cayman 2.5 month after hurricane Ivan and only devastation left was broken palm trees.

People see the devastation in the immediate aftermath of a storm and it's hard to comprehend that things will move back to normal. It always does, and it always does so at a furious pace. In 3 months, I suspect you won't be able to see much damage remaining at all in Old San Juan, and most of the San Juan metro will be operating mostly normally. It's the outlying areas that will suffer the longest. Also I doubt El Yunque National Forest will be back to normal anytime soon.

Did everyone see the newest update on the itinerary for Seaside today? I was for sure they were going to change us to a western itinerary, but I guess they aren't. Here's what they have to say about the updated changes so far.

MSC Seaside: December 23 – March 17, 2018

On her Eastern Caribbean itineraries departing from Miami, MSC Seaside will now call at St John (Antigua and Barbuda), instead of at Philipsburg (St Maarten).

please ignore,just saw this was already posted above

On her Eastern Caribbean itineraries departing from Miami, MSC Seaside will now call at St John (Antigua and Barbuda), instead of at Philipsburg (St Maarten).

please ignore,just saw this was already posted above

Did they provide a timeframe for that? As in, between certain dates? Or is this indefinite until they change everything back?