Concerned about our Honeymoon on the Escape

mreitz775@gmail.com

We are getting married on October 12th and then flying to Miami to sail on the Escape 10/14 to the western carribean in a Haven penthouse suite.

The reason we chose this as our honeymoon was because a year ago we sailed on the Escape and LOVED the thermal spa. We used it every day and it is what we are looking forward to the most about our honeymoon cruise.

We paid for the cruise, flights, and spa passes, and then set our sights on wedding plans.

Well last night I sat down and decided to peruse the CC boards, as I occasionally do, and I stumble accross a thread regarding the Thermal Suite being closed for the 10/14 sailing! I couldn't believe it! Not only did they decide to close the spa, but they made no effort to reach out to inform us. When I booked this cruise, I made it very clear to the cruise consultant that the thermal spa was the main reason we were choosing this as our honeymoon.

So after breaking the news to my soon-to-be wife, and a slightly tearful discussion, we formulated a plan. This morning i went to work on executing said plan. I contacted Southwest and found out that it would cost approx 100 bucks to change our flights to one week later.

I then called my personal cruise consultant at norwegian. I explained everything to him and he was at first surprised that the Spa was closed, and then he couldn't change the reservation. He stated that he needed to reach out to another department via email and would get back to me within about 24 hours.... meanwhile the available suites on the 10/21 sailing are filling up.

Now I know that it sounds a bit dramatic. Obviously, you could put us on a deserted island for our honeymoon and we would be greatful to have each other and celebrate our new life together. But I wanted this to be perfect for her. I was going to upgrade our suite to one of the really nice owners suites as a surprise for her.

Now I am sitting here waiting to hear back from Norwegian about whether or not I have to fight for a trip I paid almost 5 digits for.

I just wanted to share my concerns, maybe some of you have experienced similar things.

I will update this thread as soon as I hear something.

Why are they closing the thermal spa? I would be highly disappointed. That is a main highlight when I cruise. If they did this on my November 4 Escape I would really complain. Especially after they changed our ports to the less appealing ports.

I sincerely doubt they are going to let you change your cruise date because the spa will be closed. They won't even let you change because the ports have changed! Insurance wouldn't cover this either. Perhaps necessary repairs need to be made, and the parts will arrive by then, so they scheduled it that week.

I realize all parts of the ship need to be maintained, but how often does something like this happen? I also have a week spa pass for the 28th of October and I would be VERY dissapointed if I didn't get to use it, ecspecially if I didn't find out until I boarded. To those of you who cruise NCL regularly, do you know how long the spa is out of commission while it's being maintained?

To the OP, I hope everything works out for you and your future wife.

Why are they closing the thermal spa? I would be highly disappointed. That is a main highlight when I cruise. If they did this on my November 4 Escape I would really complain. Especially after they changed our ports to the less appealing ports.
They said on another thread that it was being closed for maintenance and all other spa services would be available. They also said that they are in the process of notifying customers.

If the maintenance has to be done, it has to be closed at some point. If they delay it, then they will have unhappy passengers on that cruise, so it is really a no win for NCL.

Is the ship out every week of the year? Isn't there sometime it is docked where things like this can be done? I don't plan on using any services of the spa, massages, etc., I just wanted a private place, away from crowds, to RELAX. The description of it sounded AMAZING. Was one of the top things I was looking forward to. If these things need to be done, they need to be planned and not sell the option for that week. If you go on now, you can STILL buy the option.

As I posted on the other thread, my main issue with this is that NCL had zero intention of notifying passengers of this before they boarded. And at this time they're only notifying Haven and Suite guests (so they claim, yet many of them are still coming on here stating they found on on CC and NCL still hasn't contacted them). Those who simply bought the one week pass they won't be able to use aren't being notified at all. I for one feel this is horrible customer service. Yes the spa has to be closed and maintained, no NCL is not handling this correctly at all. They should be contacting every passenger who bought the pass and offering a refund and maybe a small gesture like a $20 on board credit as a sign of good faith. Instead, NCL is still selling spa passes online for a spa they KNOW is closed that week.

Is the ship out every week of the year? Isn't there sometime it is docked where things like this can be done? I don't plan on using any services of the spa, massages, etc., I just wanted a private place, away from crowds, to RELAX. The description of it sounded AMAZING. Was one of the top things I was looking forward to. If these things need to be done, they need to be planned and not sell the option for that week. If you go on now, you can STILL buy the option.

Yes, the ships sail every possible day that they can. This may not be a case of doing spa upgrades but reacting to an unexpected repair that obviously couldn't be planned for. Unfortunate for the customers but I guarantee you that NCL doesn't want to lose out on this source of revenue any more than the guests want it closed.

Trying to get things fixed/upgraded on a floating hotel isn't as easy as one might imagine.

I realize all parts of the ship need to be maintained, but how often does something like this happen? I also have a week spa pass for the 28th of October and I would be VERY dissapointed if I didn't get to use it, ecspecially if I didn't find out until I boarded. To those of you who cruise NCL regularly, do you know how long the spa is out of commission while it's being maintained?

To the OP, I hope everything works out for you and your future wife.

I am on your cruise and I actually was thinking it has a very good chance it will be closed.

I am not going to tell my wife that because it is a hunch.

Last cruise she did not want to go to the spa cause we were with family and the cruise before that she did so I don't know what she wants to do so I did not book it yet and I wont cause of the above.

I can understand the necessity. I can even understand the reluctance to give refunds.

What I cannot understand is the reluctance to simply change the reservation by one week. When i booked this room it was the last penthouse suite available on that sailing. The following week's sailing has half a dozen suites available. I suppose the risk they take on is that if they cannot sell the suite I originally had booked they would take a loss, but the demand seems to be there for those rooms that week.

And although I am not saying that this being our Honeymoon makes it any more important than any other person's cruise, to me personally I am beyond disappointed and stressed out about this because of that fact.

I can understand the necessity. I can even understand the reluctance to give refunds.

What I cannot understand is the reluctance to simply change the reservation by one week. When i booked this room it was the last penthouse suite available on that sailing. The following week's sailing has half a dozen suites available. I suppose the risk they take on is that if they cannot sell the suite I originally had booked they would take a loss, but the demand seems to be there for those rooms that week.

And although I am not saying that this being our Honeymoon makes it any more important than any other person's cruise, to me personally I am beyond disappointed and stressed out about this because of that fact.

Maybe they'll do the repair another week if you ask nice. Why wait until then, why not do it now if it's having issues. Maybe they have to wait for the part(s). They could do three days on one cruise and four days on the other??

Yes, these ships sail 7 days a week and run 24/7. They go into dry dock once every 5-6 years. Something broke or something major is being retrofitted, or is not running right. Parts will be delivered to the dock on turnaround day, loaded up and the work done. Kind of crazy its going to be closed for an entire week, maybe only a few days. Our our first cruise on the Gem we bought spa passes. Later on that day we found out they were still painting the inside of the large thermal spa. The spa was closed for 2 days, however they gave us credit back for 3 days. Sometimes stuff happens

UPDATE:

I just got a call from a customer service supervisor from ncl who stated that they will not allow us to change to the following week.

I asked him if it seemed OK to him that I booked my honeymoon specifically for the thermal spa, and made that clear at the time of booking, and then after ncl had my $8k + they closed the thermal spa and wouldnt let me change my sailing by 1 week when theres plenty of rooms available to do so.

He stated that corporate has not authorized them to make any changes due to the spa issue.

In other words, they have our money and we are stuck not getting what we wanted.

I am sick to my stomach with disappointment.

UPDATE:

I just got a call from a customer service supervisor from ncl who stated that they will not allow us to change to the following week.

I asked him if it seemed OK to him that I booked my honeymoon specifically for the thermal spa, and made that clear at the time of booking, and then after ncl had my $8k + they closed the thermal spa and wouldnt let me change my sailing by 1 week when theres plenty of rooms available to do so.

He stated that corporate has not authorized them to make any changes due to the spa issue.

In other words, they have our money and we are stuck not getting what we wanted.

I'm so sorry. I really do understand your frustration. It's a very ****ty situation all around.

Two Wheels, so glad you opted to pop into this thread. Always a pleasure.

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I certainly hope that this is the biggest issue you will ever encounter in your years of a happy marriage. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon and I hope you make the best out of your cruise and don't make this negativity be what you remember about your cruise with your new spouse. Edited by NLH Arizona

Sorry for the change and disappointment.

But - stuff happens. Sucks I know. But you still get to cruise for a week.

And, though I have no idea what is taking place - it would not be outside the realm of possiblities that it will be open. Much more likely that it could be closed the week you were trying to move your cruise to if they have problems with whatever they are doing.

As someone said, this is but a small bump in the road. I understand being disappointed, but sick to your stomach is putting too much stress on yourself.

Enjoy and hope you have a long marriage - (we are over 40 yrs)

I'd be very upset if I spent that kind of money, wasn't notified, and they aren't doing a single thing for you to even try to rectify it. Ask to speak with supervisors supervisor. Try calling concierge, see if they can help?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd be very upset if I spent that kind of money, wasn't notified, and they aren't doing a single thing for you to even try to rectify it. Ask to speak with supervisors supervisor. Try calling concierge, see if they can help?

From the email posted in the other thread, NCL is contacting guests who booked a Spa stateroom (Spa, Spa mini-suite, Haven Spa) first. I can understand contacting those people first since they had Spa access built-in from the time that they booked.

It's taking longer to contact those who purchased spa access after they booked.

Still selling spa passes online is wrong, imo.

So you know at this point that there is nothing you can do about the spa or moving weeks. It sucks for sure, but is what it is, and making yourself sick with anger and stress won't help anything.

Focus on the fact that you are in the Haven, which is AMAZE-BALLS and you are going to be pampered like you would not believe. There are also tons of places to relax in peace and quite in the haven, both indoor and outdoor. While the spa is nice, the Haven is better :)

What are they supposed to do? What is the concierge going to do? It's a disappointing first world problem. I once was able to snag a large cabana on GSC for $200 (soon after they were built). By the time we sailed, they were going for twice that. I was really looking forward to our day in paradise, and was disappointed that we had to skip GSC, knowing I'd never be able to get a large cabana for $200 again. I got my refund.

What are they supposed to do? What is the concierge going to do? It's a disappointing first world problem. I once was able to snag a large cabana on GSC for $200 (soon after they were built). By the time we sailed, they were going for twice that. I was really looking forward to our day in paradise, and was disappointed that we had to skip GSC, knowing I'd never be able to get a large cabana for $200 again. I got my refund.

Letting them switch weeks would be a good start. I understand they are past final payment but if they already booked that part, the line should be flexible to accommodate the guest. In reality, they are still getting paid $8000+ and he's even willing to pay to upgrade. I honestly don't see the issue with doing something for the guest in this instance.

And honestly...any concern with a cruise is a "first world problem". Which underwear I out on every morning is a first world problem, but I don't purposely wear uncomfortable ones. I bet he worked hard for the money he is spending on the cruise and if he's disappointed with the product, that's fair.