Specialty Dining Dress Code - Prevailing or Smart Casual All The Time

Cruise Arizona

The current policy is that the Formal Night dress code applies only to the Main Dining Rooms.

Princess has nothing on the official record as to the dress code on any night in the Specialty Restaurants. People simply interpret the fact that because Smart Casual nights do not carry the "Main Dining Rooms only" reference, that that code applies to the Specialty Restaurants--even on Formal Nights when there is no mention whatsoever of Smart Casual in the Princess Patter.

Certainly there have been many reports of people being admitted to the Specialty Restaurants (and to Chef's Table) in shorts and t-shirts. So again I would like to see the source of the alleged rule that Smart Casual is a requirement to dine in the Specialty Restaurants.

I have seen a family trying to enter the Crown Grill where the father was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The family was seated but the father had to go change to long pants and collared shirt.

I have eaten in the specialty restaurants at least 50 times and I do not recall seeing anyone in shorts and t-shirts. I do believe the specialty restaurants are more easy going on embarkation evening since some passengers eating early may not have had the opportunity to unpack their luggage yet.

The current policy is that the Formal Night dress code applies only to the Main Dining Rooms.

Princess has nothing on the official record as to the dress code on any night in the Specialty Restaurants. People simply interpret the fact that because Smart Casual nights do not carry the "Main Dining Rooms only" reference, that that code applies to the Specialty Restaurants--even on Formal Nights when there is no mention whatsoever of Smart Casual in the Princess Patter.

Certainly there have been many reports of people being admitted to the Specialty Restaurants (and to Chef's Table) in shorts and t-shirts. So again I would like to see the source of the alleged rule that Smart Casual is a requirement to dine in the Specialty Restaurants.

Sigh... this is completely bogus. Of course the Specialty Restaurants are always Smart Casual. And it's not a requirement in the maximum sense. Anyone can dress formal if they want to when dining there.

Princess publishes Clothing Recommendations in Cruise Answer Book and in the online FAQ's. They also post summarized info in the Patters.

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Any reasonable reading of ANY of the possible sources indicates that Smart Casual (..in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home..) is the default dinner dress request. They then explicitly state items that are not permitted "in the dining rooms". This means ALL dining rooms.

Then they go on to specify the exception case of Formal Nights where they request passengers to observe the recommended dress in the Traditional and Anytime Dining venues only. By process of elimination, all other dining rooms are exempt from this and default to Smart Casual.

Note that the upper deck pizza, grill, Alfredo's, the Horizon are NOT dining rooms and any acceptable dress on the ship in general is fine there.

They also define that these are casual locations and people can choose their wear.

So, anything acceptable as Smart Casual wear is good for the Specialty Restaurants or non-formal nights in the AT and TD DR's.

I don't know why this topic requires a dissection of every word and minutae of detail analysis. Anyone who has cruised on Princess will understand how this works and there is no question the Specialty locations are Smart Casual at all times. I would say the only exception one might get away with is the first night out when allowances are made for luggage and unpacking with later sailaways. Probably unneeded for a 4:00pm, but let's not go there.

Does the Crown Grill follow the Prevailing Dress Code - meaning smart casual on smart casual MDR eveings and Formal on Formal MDR evenings, or is it Smart Casual All the time. I googled it and found an old thread from 2007, but looking for most current policy.

It's always smart casual in the specialty rest. Plenty of pax still dress up though, formal night or not.