T'was the night before boarding and what should appear? A random OBC

IrritatedEllipses

For $14 and change. What?

We were setting out phone backgrounds to pictures of our boarding passes and suddenly noticed we have a random $14.57 OBC that has appeared out of no where.

We've not received any emails about it and it doesn't appear anything on our itinerary has changed. Any way to figure out what this is from? Either tonight or when we board the ship in 9 hours and 33 minutes?

Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, just like to glance at the dental records.

Often almost every time I have cruised (6 out of 8 cruises), I receive an additional small Onboard Credit from Carnival. This happens even when I get another credit, from a promo. It tends to be around $11 - $26 per person; I have never asked why, I just am thankful!:D

The estimated port fees and taxes we are charged in advance often vary to actual and Carnival refunds monies due back in the form of OBC where indicated.

Exactly right! Almost always have this odd amount show up. Varies from ab $8.00 - $14.00 each. They have to give it back.:D

It was explained to me one time that port charges are paid in foreign currency at the time of cruising. So based on exchange rates etc... they change. Because these are taxes paid directly to the govt by the passengers (CCL is just the facilitator) and are estimated, if there is a difference they are refunded.

I was told that the ports of call assess fees on each cruise ship based on the number of passengers. Carnival estimates how many passengers will be on any given cruise, and divides the fee over that many. Closer to sailing, if there are more passengers than they estimated, the fee would drop, and the passengers receive a credit. I've never known them to charge extra if there are fewer passengers than estimated.