How's the internet on the Millie?

james'mommy

We will be in Alaska next June on the Millie. I'm considering buying the internet package since it is on sale and we have a healthy obc. Our last trip on the Summit the internet sucked. Last year on RCCL we had the internet package and it was fantastic. Mainly we need it for DH to be in contact with work and for DS to watch you tube videos. Since we will be in the US we can rely on our phones while in port and can probably survive the 2 sea days without internet. So I'm really only interested if the internet is high speed enough for videos. TIA.

We will be in Alaska next June on the Millie. I'm considering buying the internet package since it is on sale and we have a healthy obc. Our last trip on the Summit the internet sucked. Last year on RCCL we had the internet package and it was fantastic. Mainly we need it for DH to be in contact with work and for DS to watch you tube videos. Since we will be in the US we can rely on our phones while in port and can probably survive the 2 sea days without internet. So I'm really only interested if the internet is high speed enough for videos. TIA.
Really. Internet is more interesting than being on a fabulous ship vacation. So sad.

To answer your question' date=' internet varies from ship to ship, country to country, and cloud to cloud (the ones in the sky that make rain). It's an OTA signal, not cable or fiber reception. We both get a free day, or 90 minutes or total use for free. Depends if we are on Celebrity or RCI. The 180 total minutes works out better, for us, as it provides daily time to connect by text, voice, email, video or Facebook. While we are on vacation, we avoid the outside world so relaxation is maximized. [emoji57'] sounds like you should go for a package, for your best value. Or unlimited if offered. But do try to enjoy a disconnected holiday while you can.

Have a fantastic time cruising.

jf

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Really. Internet is more interesting than being on a fabulous ship vacation. So sad.

To answer your question, internet varies from ship to ship, country to country, and cloud to cloud (the ones in the sky that make rain). It's an OTA signal, not cable or fiber reception. We both get a free day, or 90 minutes or total use for free. Depends if we are on Celebrity or RCI. The 180 total minutes works out better, for us, as it provides daily time to connect by text, voice, email, video or Facebook. While we are on vacation, we avoid the outside world so relaxation is maximized. [emoji57] sounds like you should go for a package, for your best value. Or unlimited if offered. But do try to enjoy a disconnected holiday while you can.

Have a fantastic time cruising.

jf

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

While I would love a disconnected vacation DH's career (which pays for the vacation) doesn't allow for that. Some people have 24/7 jobs.

We were on her for a trans-Pacific last month and the internet was spotty at times, slow at times and never fast. If you have the unlimited package you don't fume at the slow loading pages. I would say it was on the whole, acceptable, but you would never compare to stateside WIFI or hardwired connections. We mostly used it to research our stops in Japan as we got closer.

We were on deck 9. We had an internet repeater right outside our cabin but the service was very slow. The connection got dropped several times. I would seriously doubt one could do video. Email was a struggle at best. We are elite and get 90 minutes free. Would not pay for more at Celebrity’s prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter is currently working on board "Millie" and the internet has been woeful.

Whether in Alaska last month or currently in Japan we can only properly communicate with her when she's in port and off the ship.

If the internet is a "must have" then be prepared!

just off millennium, 8sep-5oct. could have been our itin but internet repeatedly timed out. wouldn't have bothered at all but we get free wifi and occasionally had to check in on family email, still frustrating. shoreside wifi another story -- fast and free in japan & our one stop in south korea.

ship also lost news satellite coverage, several days without cnn in mid-pacific, bbc & sky also out a few times around japan.

We were on her for a trans-Pacific last month and the internet was spotty at times, slow at times and never fast. If you have the unlimited package you don't fume at the slow loading pages. I would say it was on the whole, acceptable, but you would never compare to stateside WIFI or hardwired connections. We mostly used it to research our stops in Japan as we got closer.

I was also on that trip with an unlimited Internet package and agree with this assessment. I am an independent consultant, so if I don't answer clients' e-mails, I don't have a career. I found that I was able to deal with most of the things I needed to deal with and only be slightly frustrated by the connection. I supplemented the ship's Wi-Fi with land connections in the few ports we entered, but was able to handle contract negotiations with people in Costa Rica and answers several client questions during the journey.

If you have to have it, you can make it work. If I didn't need it to make a living, there is no way that I would even acknowledge that the world outside the ship still exists.

By the way, I had talked to the land-based concierge prior to the trip about Internet connections. Because it was necessary for my business, she arranged for a signal booster (essentially a relay router) be installed in our suite - at her suggestion; I was planning to sit in whatever location had the best signal. Never had any issue with signal strength, just connection speed.