Neptune help

a.madruga

I have already posted this in another thread but will ask here too. The one thing that we've always had when staying in a Neptune suite is complimentary laundry and dry cleaning. In fact, this past New Years we were on the Eurodam and had the benefit of laundry, etc. I have read the amenities offered and did not see this, so it made me think they have discontinued it. Could someone please advise me. Thank you so much.

For Neptune and Pinnalce Suites, STILL no additional charge for unlimited laundry and dry clceaning. Send clothes out daily if you wish.

Edited by sail7seas

I have already posted this in another thread but will ask here too. The one thing that we've always had when staying in a Neptune suite is complimentary laundry and dry cleaning. In fact, this past New Years we were on the Eurodam and had the benefit of laundry, etc. I have read the amenities offered and did not see this, so it made me think they have discontinued it. Could someone please advise me. Thank you so much.

We were on mid September and yes, the laundry was still a (very much) appreciated perk.

I'm glad to know free laundry is still available for Neptune Suite guests. We used it often on our 14 day Alaska cruise last August. We have a Neptune Suite booked for our 14 day Panama Canal transit on the Westerdam in December. We appreciate this perk very much!

I’m currently in a Neptune Suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Neptune Lounge doesn’t have a “library”. I had to ask for HAL cruise brochures since other than the daily “newspapers” there is NOTHING to read, not even “O” magazine. The concierge told me that headquarters (or he might have said corporate) is no longer allowing reading material in the Neptune Lounge! That’s true on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- no paperback exchange, no travel guides, no coffee table books, no magazines, no HAL cruise brochures, no nothing. I’m very disappointed that these types of reading material are no longer in the Neptune Lounge. Are other Neptune Lounges now anti-reading rooms, too?

Is this policy for the entire Fleet?

I have no idea. I was so tempted to order room service just for the mimosa on one of our sea days and take it to the PG. But of course, DH wouldn't have it :loudcry::')

I think it's because it is on the room service menu and the stuff that is "extra" for others is free for NS category & above. Who knows? HAL is not always logical.

Seems like it would be more cost effective to offer in the PG as you’re not taking someone to deliver to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m currently in a Neptune Suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Neptune Lounge doesn’t have a “library”. I had to ask for HAL cruise brochures since other than the daily “newspapers” there is NOTHING to read, not even “O” magazine. The concierge told me that headquarters (or he might have said corporate) is no longer allowing reading material in the Neptune Lounge! That’s true on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- no paperback exchange, no travel guides, no coffee table books, no magazines, no HAL cruise brochures, no nothing. I’m very disappointed that these types of reading material are no longer in the Neptune Lounge. Are other Neptune Lounges now anti-reading rooms, too?

/quote]

Did the concierge give an explanation for corporate's latest innovation?

No, neither Zaldy nor Jefferson (the current Neptune Lounge concierges) knew why there is no reading material allowed in the Neptune Lounge. And I’ve checked all of the cupboards and drawers. I know the “hiding” places in many of the Neptune Lounges. There are now copies of ONE of the HAL brochures but it’s not even the Cruise Atlas!

And we received a letter (as did all NL guests) saying that the Future Cruise Consultants will not come to the Neptune Lounge since they will be too busy at their desks. We are welcome to schedule 30-minute appointments at their desks just like non-Neptune Suite guests do. I don’t care about this one way or the other but I sure thought it odd. We’ve always gotten a notice that a FCC would be in the Neptune Lounge on X date from Y to Z time to make future bookings. Not this time!

Neptune Lounge on Veendam in July had all the usual magazines and borchures that we always find in Neptunes. I don't know why you were told that is no longer done. Not true or not true consistently on all the ships. :rolleyes:

And the paperback exchange in Crow’s Nest is 99.9% German. There have been three or four English paperback books but they’ve been sci-fi/vampire books. And yes, I have an iPad loaded with ebooks but very much prefer paperbacks.

I never read books from a tablet and prefer books in my hands/lap. :)

No, neither Zaldy nor Jefferson (the current Neptune Lounge concierges) knew why there is no reading material allowed in the Neptune Lounge. And I’ve checked all of the cupboards and drawers. I know the “hiding” places in many of the Neptune Lounges. There are now copies of ONE of the HAL brochures but it’s not even the Cruise Atlas!

And we received a letter (as did all NL guests) saying that the Future Cruise Consultants will not come to the Neptune Lounge since they will be too busy at their desks. We are welcome to schedule 30-minute appointments at their desks just like non-Neptune Suite guests do. I don’t care about this one way or the other but I sure thought it odd. We’ve always gotten a notice that a FCC would be in the Neptune Lounge on X date from Y to Z time to make future bookings. Not this time!

Wow - that is a real switch.

I am very surprised by this. Thanks for the info.

Is this policy for the entire Fleet?

That is beyond baffling . If I I go into Neptune to get coffee, have my book iwth me, qnd sit down to read as i often have done. I would not Wish to be the concierge that tells me to put my book away. :eeK: Iw ill wish to seei t in writing on HAL's website or in a printed brochure stating t no reading is perrmitted in Netrune Lounge. That is something that should be made known in their literature when people are choosing which cabin to book. My head cannot process the notion they may have actually writtten this new 'rule '. Somehow I'm inclined to think mayBe two creative cconcierges created this sittuation for whatever reason? It is so beyonD ridiculous it is near on impossible to believ.e Is someone 'Pulling our leg?' unreal. :D (I don't believe it.)

I never read books from a tablet and prefer books in my hands/lap. :)

I have been a bookworm all my life and never thought I’d like to read e-books. I hated them at first..Until I saw that I can get library books on a Kindle. For free!! Plus I can bring as books as many as I want with me on vacation without worrying about having to pack them! A true convert here .

I have been a bookworm all my life and never thought I’d like to read e-books. I hated them at first..Until I saw that I can get library books on a Kindle. For free!! Plus I can bring as books as many as I want with me on vacation without worrying about having to pack them! A true convert here .

I have a microsoft surface which is also an e-reader. I loaded ab out a dozen books onto it and have neverrread them. I am much happier holding my 'real' book. :)

I have been a bookworm all my life and never thought I’d like to read e-books. I hated them at first..Until I saw that I can get library books on a Kindle. For free!! Plus I can bring as books as many as I want with me on vacation without worrying about having to pack them! A true convert here . Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I have a microsoft surface which is also an e-reader. I loaded ab out a dozen books onto it and have neverrread them. I am much happier holding my 'real' book. :)

If the ship was in Code red, yes, however, there was no mention of that. It is such an obvious reason, surely that would have been mentioned here. Perhaps I missed it but I have seen no mention of code red.

Edited by sail7seas

It is such an obvious reason, surely that would have been mentioned here.
My experience is that that's not a reliable assumption. If people are upset about something, they generally relay what they're upset about. It is not typical for people to spend half of their time arguing against their own complaint, giving equal time trying to determine and/or express the point-of-view of the party that they are directing their complaint against.

I read both "real" books and e-books. I wonder if your dislike of the e-books is due to the size and weight of the Surface? My laptop folds back and goes into tablet mode, but I'm not comfortable with the size for any length of time. My Kindle is on my old small tablet (7 or 8 inch), and that's easy to hold and use.

On the subject of reading in the Neptune Lounge, I don't recall many people doing that. But I do recall seeing "coffee table books" and copies of the days newspapers (the ones they print) in the lounge as recently as last month (Amsterdam).

I read both "real" books and e-books. I wonder if your dislike of the e-books is due to the size and weight of the Surface? My laptop folds back and goes into tablet mode, but I'm not comfortable with the size for any length of time. My Kindle is on my old small tablet (7 or 8 inch), and that's easy to hold and use.

I agree that that's a really important factor. I have both a 7in and a 10in tablet as well as a 6in Kindle, and in the end I still use the 6in Kindle for reading most of what I read. It's lightest, easiest to hold, and the battery lasts the longest. I'll use the 7in tablet just to give my eyes some variety, and also when I expect to want to share a lot of passages on social media. So generally I will read novels on the Kindle and books on philosophy, religion and worshipcraft on the tablet. And I only use the 10in tablet when when I'm reading is technical in nature and/or has a lot of detailed diagrams or color photographs.

I think the last hardcover novel I read had about 945 pages and I thought my wrist was going to fall off. I am so glad I switched to Kindle before reading Alaska by James Michener!!

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We are not in Code Red. I’ll send a letter to the Hotel Director today asking about the lack of reading material in the NL. The “library” in the Crow’s Nest has travel guide books, magazines, coffee table books and “regular” hardback library books.

By the way, the Nieuw Amsterdam was torn from its moorings at approximately 10:45 AM in Huatulco due to an unexpected gust during a thunderstorm. As a result it’s now on a sandbar and we are being tendered to the ship using one operational tender. They need high tide, which will be around five or 6 PM, for the Nieuw Amsterdam to get off of the sandbar! I have over 700 days cruising and I have never experienced this. This is quite an adventure! Everyone is fine and people seem to be in good spirits although it’s taking a long time to get on the tender back to the ship.

By the way, the Nieuw Amsterdam was torn from its moorings at approximately 10:45 AM in Huatulco due to an unexpected gust during a thunderstorm. As a result it’s now on a sandbar and we are being tendered to the ship using one operational tender. They need high tide, which will be around five or 6 PM, for the Nieuw Amsterdam to get off of the sandbar! I have over 700 days cruising and I have never experienced this. This is quite an adventure! Everyone is fine and people seem to be in good spirits although it’s taking a long time to get on the tender back to the ship.

Let's hope there is no damage to the ship. That must have been some awful

thunderstorm with incredible gusts of wind.

Who is the Captain who is having a bad day today ? Not his fault,, ot course , but his problem to make all better. All,,,, stay safe.

Mexico is still suffering very variable nasty weather - not Maria for sure - but there are severe issues. Sadly, I am not surprised watching the weather that this happened.

Glad it is only a sand bar and all are ok.

Mexico is still suffering very variable nasty weather - not Maria for sure - but there are severe issues. Sadly, I am not surprised watching the weather that this happened.

Glad it is only a sand bar and all are ok.

I wonder who is the captain? I am sure whomever it is will handle the ship just fine.

It’s funny that you ask who the captain is. Holland America no longer provides that information (photo, name and short bio) in the daily program and so when we got on the ship today I saw the hotel director, Simon Tanner. I actually asked him if he was the captain. He explained that he was not and I told him that I was just wondering who the captain was since now there is no way of knowing who the captain is. He told me that it is on the in-room televisions. My husband and I came back to the cabin and we’ve looked at every drop-down menu available and we still cannot find out where it tells us who the captain is. I am including that question in my letter to him about the lack of reading material in Neptune Lounge.

It is 5:30 PM. This was originally the all-aboard time. The captain just came on and said that there would be an hour needed in order to assess underwater to see if there was any damage. They do not expect to find any. Then they will need another hour for something else. Anyway, I am sure everything is fine and that we will just depart late (and maybe have less time tomorrow in Puerto Chiapas - no big loss!). I checked the cabanas on deck 11 and they are intact.