Water bottle packages?

uneamie

On the NCL website, it says there is an 18% gratuity upon purchase of a water bottle package? Can someone explain to me who is getting a gratuity for 6 water bottles sent to our cabin upon arrival? There is no delivery or gratuity charge for other packages other than the dining and UBP so why water bottles?

On the NCL website, it says there is an 18% gratuity upon purchase of a water bottle package? Can someone explain to me who is getting a gratuity for 6 water bottles sent to our cabin upon arrival? There is no delivery or gratuity charge for other packages other than the dining and UBP so why water bottles?

Possibly the person who has to go to the storeroom for the bottles, count them out, and take them to the cabin.

We haven’t been on NCL in a while, but we travel a Disney a lot, and always get a case of water when we board, and there it’s the bar staff selling them when you first get on because they get that mandatory gratuity since they personally bring the water up to your room later that afternoon.

We haven’t been on NCL in a while, but we travel a Disney a lot, and always get a case of water when we board, and there it’s the bar staff selling them when you first get on because they get that mandatory gratuity since they personally bring the water up to your room later that afternoon.
Hmmm....wonder why they can't treat it like they do "flowers, cakes, party decorations, food platters" all of which can be bought online ahead and brought up to your room by someone as well.

Possibly the person who has to go to the storeroom for the bottles, count them out, and take them to the cabin.
So I take it the person making and delivering the "flowers, decorations, and food platters" that you can also order online and have sent to your room is poop out of luck and gets no tip for any of that....only water bottle people. LOL

That has been the practice for a long time. Anything coming through the bar department carries the gratuity. Even if you order a whole bottle (whiskey, rum, etc) for your stateroom, it comes with the charge.

Better all around to just stick to the free and included water.

That has been the practice for a long time. Anything coming through the bar department carries the gratuity. Even if you order a whole bottle (whiskey, rum, etc) for your stateroom, it comes with the charge.

Better all around to just stick to the free and included water.

It is for my disabled brother who drinks a ton of water so I think I will do as you said and fill up his thermos cup with the buffet water..........I know I have to use a buffet cup to do that but that's no biggy. It's mostly for him to have it in his cabin.

It is for my disabled brother who drinks a ton of water so I think I will do as you said and fill up his thermos cup with the buffet water..........I know I have to use a buffet cup to do that but that's no biggy. It's mostly for him to have it in his cabin.
If you ask, they will give you a pitcher you can fill and keep in the room fridge so you'll always have water available.

If you ask, they will give you a pitcher you can fill and keep in the room fridge so you'll always have water available.
Oh that's a great idea. I wonder if it can be filled at one of the bars...if not I can fill it at the buffet.

Your steward can bring a pitcher of ice, that will melt into cold water. Or you can just have them bring a pitcher of water and put in fridge. It will already be filtered water.
Thanks....good to know advice. :)

NCL charges 18% on all the packages, dining, alcohol, soda and water packages. Even when they are "free" as a perk you pay the 18% on the package price had you bought it. It cannot be negotiated away, as far as I know (I have never heard of anyone being successful removing the 18% auto-gratuity on a bar bill, for instance).

• 5 months later...
Yes, NCL and Carnival banned bringing on water a year or so ago. Other lines still allow it.

I'm new to cruising NCL this May as I'm Platinum on Carnival and love the vibe, but figured give it a shot. I was sticker shocked at the water packages.

Carnival 12-16oz bottles - delivered to stateroom, less than $5

NCL 12-1ltr bottles - delivered to stateroom, $33.54

This is at least the NCL price for water on POA. I'm ok drinking water from the "taps", but it was still a huge surprise to me. :eek:

Yes, NCL and Carnival banned bringing on water a year or so ago. Other lines still allow it.

I never thought I would defend Carnival. At least you can preorder a 12 pack case of water for a reasonable price on Carnival. $4.50 a case, including delivery.

I was thinking about ordering a small package of the water for our upcoming cruise to have for when we go on excursions. This is the first I heard about the added gratuity to buy a package of water.

I'll bring a couple of empty bottles as others have suggested and fill them on the ship.

Ridiculous fees!

Edited by lnhoney

I'm new to cruising NCL this May as I'm Platinum on Carnival and love the vibe, but figured give it a shot. I was sticker shocked at the water packages.

And that is the new, lower price! I think they dropped the price around 30% shortly after the outcry about the new policy.

I don't know why, but the 1 liter bottles of Aquafina are from $1.99 to $2.50 in the grocery stores here, where the 500 ml or 20 ounce bottles are much, much less. So the gouging doesn't seem quite as bad even though a shopper in Manhattan can get another brand and size bottle of water much cheaper.