Passport Expiring in December

cruise_control

Hi all,

My passport expires in December and I'm booked for a November cruise. I didn't see any reason to rush the renewal since we'll be on a closed loop cruise departing from Miami. My wife suggested I double check so I thought I'd throw the question out to you all. Thanks in advance!

Check Carnival's FAQs - seems there is something in there about your passport expiration has to be a certain length of time out to be used for cruising. We renewed ours a little early and it took about 3 weeks to get the new ones. When in doubt, you could always bring your birth certificate and driver license.

Carnival recommends having 6 months remaining on your passport, but it is only a recommendation. Unless you are sailing to Cuba none of the islands on a closed loop cruise require any sort of time remaining on your passport. Personally I will let my travel needs dictate when I renew and if there is no need to renew prior to expiration I will not do so. As long as your passport doesn't expire before you return from the cruise you may use it for your cruise.

from travel . state. gov:

Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current passport will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages. Though some “closed-loop” cruises may not require a U.S. passport, we recommend bringing yours in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not require it.

You either need to renew your passport, or bring your Driver's license and birth certificate.

Hi all,

My passport expires in December and I'm booked for a November cruise. I didn't see any reason to rush the renewal since we'll be on a closed loop cruise departing from Miami. My wife suggested I double check so I thought I'd throw the question out to you all. Thanks in advance!

from travel . state. gov:

Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current passport will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages. Though some “closed-loop” cruises may not require a U.S. passport, we recommend bringing yours in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not require it.

You either need to renew your passport, or bring your Driver's license and birth certificate.

Carnival just requires your passport be valid for the length of your cruise.

The six month before expiring is NOT for reentry into the United States. It is a regulation from the counties you might be visiting. As long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US you are allowed entry.

There are countries that require you to have a certain number of months to be allowed entry. With the exception of Cuba I can't recall any that Carnival ports.

The fact that you can cruise on a birth certificate means the ports don't require passports. If they don't require a passport they certainly can't put restriction on one.

May of 2016 we sailed the Sunshine on a closed loop from Charleston SC using our passports which expired in late June. We had no problem.

The only country on any of our 11 Caribbean cruises that required a passport was Costa Rica.

(PS we always travel with passports because it's just stress free)

Hi all,

You're fine for the cruise your're on.

Hi all,

Your passport will not be good.

I have to say I'm confused by the different responses. We've been on at least 6 different cruises and the only time I ever needed my passport was for checking in for the cruise and re-entry into the U.S. I would think that I cannot be denied re-entry as long as my passport hasn't expired. After all, what's the point of having an expiration date if it's not going to be honored? We leave November 4 and my passport expires December 5 so I'm not sure I have time to get it renewed at this point.

I have to say I'm confused by the different responses. We've been on at least 6 different cruises and the only time I ever needed my passport was for checking in for the cruise and re-entry into the U.S. I would think that I cannot be denied re-entry as long as my passport hasn't expired. After all, what's the point of having an expiration date if it's not going to be honored? We leave November 4 and my passport expires December 5 so I'm not sure I have time to get it renewed at this point.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/kw/travel%20documentation

What Carnival has to say on the subject of required travel documents for US Citizens. There are links at the bottom of the page for Permanent US Residents and non-US Citizens.

It should be noted that other cruise lines have different requirements.

Carnival recommends that people travel with a Passport in the event they need to fly home or to meet the ship. They recommend there be 6 months left, but it is NOT required. Here is what applies to your cruise from Carnival's webpage. Note not one word about the 6 months. They simply require that it be valid.

If that were the case I and others would have been denied boarding and/or had an extended visit with CBP upon our return. If there's one thing they are strict on, it's documentation. Go on your cruise and renew when you get back. That's exactly what I did. Or renew now if you want, but it's not necessary.

Domestic Cruises (including Canada) that do not include travel to Cuba

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

You have time if you want to pay the extra fees for expediting the renewal or if you want to travel to a city that has a passport office and pay the extra fees there rather than trusting overnight mail but the bottom line is you do not need to renew your passport unless you want to, you will have no issues boarding your cruise with it. If you'd like you could bring your birth certificate and government issued photo ID with you and use those, so think about that for a second- why in the world would they require your passport to have 6 months remaining when you don't even really need it in the first place?:)

The recommendation is in case of emergency. You have time to renew you should do it. You have a back up with the BC and DL. You don’t need to worry to renew when your next trip pops up since you will have it done!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The recommendation is in case of emergency. You have time to renew you should do it. You have a back up with the BC and DL. You don’t need to worry to renew when your next trip pops up since you will have it done!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What emergency would require more than a month? If an emergency happened that required them to fly home from the cruise they would be able to do so. The recommendation is made only because some countries do have that requirement for visitors, but unless the OP is visiting Cuba none of those countries is in the Caribbean for those visiting by cruise ship.