Never again

I'll stay on land

This was our first cruise. My wife and I heard so many great things about cruising. What a disappointment. We were interested in taking a cruise to Alaska so we called Norwegian Cruise Lines. The girl who helped us was very nice. We told her it would be our first cruise. She suggested we try a cruise to Bermuda first, so we could make sure we wouldn’t get sea sick for the whole cruise. This made sense so we booked this cruise first. We were very excited and a few weeks before leaving we were given an opportunity to bid for the next bigger room and got it. We had our specialty dining picked out and the ultimate drink plan. We were set. We were told to bring a bathing suit in our carry on so we could sit by the pool and have a drink while they brought our bags to our room. I was surprised to find out I had to pay tax on my drinks while we were in the harbor, but that was okay. My wife and her friend were attacked by the spa people and signed up for a $500 Spa package to get 3 salt scrubs and use of the facilities for the week. Her friend paid for it as a gift to her. The next morning they went to the orientation, my wife has a heart condition and cannot use the steam or sauna rooms. They gave her 3 small jars of salt scrub, she asked what that was for and they told her that was the 3 salt scrubs. She goes into the shower and scrubs her own body then she can go in the private pools. She was not comfortable with any of this so she asked if she could use the money for other things like a facial and message, they told her no. In an effort to shorten this story, it was 2 days later and 3 people higher before they were able to get their money back. I am a bourbon drinker and I saw about 5 different kinds of bourbon that I like, imagine my disappointment when I found out I can only drink the bullet brand because my ultimate drink package didn’t include the others. It should not be called “ultimate”. We went to the buffet for breakfast the next day at around 8:30 am. The only thing that was hot was the eggs I asked them to cook for me. The pancakes, French toast, bacon, etc. were all cold. The next day we went to Savor and then Taste, but it wasn’t much better. First, after we were seated we had to wait 23 minutes until someone came over to ask if we wanted any coffee. I ordered eggs and toast, after waiting a half an hour they brought the food, the eggs were cold and I got 2 pieces of white bread, they forgot to toast them. I asked for grape jelly to put on the bread and was told you were all out. The menu’s at Savor and Taste were the same every day. I was told that the ship gets its deliveries from Miami and because of Hurricane Irma they were not able to refill the ship. Sometimes at night I like to eat something light, the only thing open was O’Sheehan’s Pub with pub type food. The food from room service was free but you charges $7.95 to deliver it. I had an espresso after dinner, the Sambuca to put in it was free but the coffee cost $2.50. I wanted to see the ice bar, sure for $20.00. In the daily paper I saw martini tasting of course $19.95, I could have ordered and tasted full size martinis for free. We paid $89.00 for the shore excursion to the beach, but we had to go and return at a certain time. I could have caught a taxi for $7.00 per person or $28.00 round trip for me and my wife and went any time I wanted for as long as I wanted. My wife played Bingo, $50.00 for three games. There were over 200 people playing, that’s $10,000 collected, 1st game paid $300, 2nd game paid $500, and the 3rd game paid $2000 times twice a day for 7 days. Did they really need the $2.50 for my espresso that bad? Play “Deal or No Deal” sure for $25.00 a card. The whole trip I felt like they were trying to squeeze money out of me for everything. To top it all off they cut my time at Bermuda short, I understand to beat the hurricane and for our safety but to think that time is only worth $25.00 is an insult. I work hard for my money and probably will never get to Bermuda again so to me it is worth a lot more.

There were some things that I did think were great. The specialty restaurants were delicious and the service was spectacular. There were a few employees that I felt went above and beyond to try and make our trip special.

I’m sorry this letter is so long but I have worked with the public my whole life and I know it is not the person who yells and screams that hurts your business; it is the person who quietly walks away and tells their friends of their experience and never comes back. I'll never go back and I'm telling everyone I know. To top it all off I wrote them a letter to tell them how I felt and didn't even get a response.

Wow, sorry U had such a bad cruise I know we build things up to perfection level which can be tough to live up to.

Honestly I can’t get past your 1st point which dosemt make sense. I do believe you but why would the ncl rep talk you out of an Alaskan cruise to go to Bermuda.

Leaving NY going across Atlantic is known to be choppy. So IMO that is not a good 1st cruise if worried about sea sickness.

As for the spa salts that is insane and I would be upset as well. Although I do not know how much the spa pass for week cost by itself.

As for the rest... buffet can be hit and miss on temp. It seems your MDR experience was definitely not acceptable. As for the beverage package ... it is not for everyone and some research on that beforehand would revealed your brands of alcohol might not qualify.

People book the extra expensive bus ride aka shore excursion because they are afraid to miss ship. If the taxi gets a flat and you are stuck that ship will leave.

I do LOVE cruising but it is not for everyone and I’m sorry you were disappointed, I know how expensive vacations are.

Thanks for your review

Kerri

↑ Avoided how?

We're taking our first cruise in a few weeks. I love pancakes but not cold. I also like REAL maple syrup, not the high fructose corn syrup crap many places like to pass off as maple when maple isn't even an ingredient, never mind the only ingredient.

Not to derail the thread but can I bring my own maple if the ships don't have it?

I read the OP's post and nothing that is described is unusual, or unexpected. It may be a shock for a new comer, but what is described is what happens on the mass market cruise lines. Cruising may not be for the OP.

So sorry your trip was disappointing. You did mention some good things too. I would focus on that and try Alaska. You did come away with some valuable lessons and won't get sucked into the spa AND all the other non necessary items. If you play your cards right it will be less costly than a week on land.

Sign up for a rewards card and save points to reduce the cost even more. If you are disciplined with paying off your CC at the end of the month you can rake them up fast. Use the card for everyday purchases ie: gas, groceries and even some of your monthly utilities.

So, instead of doing research before your cruise, such as finding this forum and asking questions, you wait until after then make an account and post the same day?

You could have had whatever bourbon you wanted, you would have had to have paid the difference over $15 plus 18% on that difference but you would have had what you wanted. Something that you would have learned here along with the hard sell from the spas.

But if didn't enjoy cruising then you don't enjoy cruising. I just don't know what you think you're going to accomplish coming to a cruise forum just to post how you hate cruising.

Sent from outerspace

Not sure what size your bringing but TSA has limits on liquids. 1 or 2 ounces it think. Other than that NCL won't care.

I'm not aware of any TSA rules regarding liquids brought onto a cruise line vessel. I'm driving to the port so I won't have any flight restrictions.

Sorry you had such a horrible time. Cruising isn't for everyone. It sounds like the cruise didn't come close to meeting your expectations. I doubt another cruise would be any better for you. Some people just don't like to cruise. I do find planning ahead helps eliminate surprises. If you ever decide to cruise again, I would recommend planning ahead and reading everything possible about the ship and ports.

Many people don't book excursions and will take cabs around the islands. Visiting the port threads would have been helpful to you before your cruise. Reading reviews about the ship would have helped you understand the drink package and room service. I find things are easier when I know what to expect. I hope you find a vacation that is more enjoyable to you. I love cruising, but can understand how some people don't.

Everything you said is something you will find on every cruise line, none of your disappointments are exclusive to NCL. You will pay extra for many things on all cruise ships. The spa issue makes no sense, I have been on many ships and they give you a menu to choose from and sometimes a list of specials, all explained in detail. I'm sure they got more than 3 jars of salt scrub for $500. The spa itself charges a daily fee to use it. It stinks you were not prepared mentally for your cruise. A little research before a vacation goes a long way in knowing what to expect. The breakfast issues are unacceptable on any cruise line.

It was your first cruise and you unfortunately went right after a hurricane and you were also drawn into the upcharging that is so prevalent. I cruise once or twice a year and have cruised for 20 years. I pass right by the salon people, the wifi people, the drink package people, the specialty restaurant people, and all the others who look and act like carnival workers trying to draw people in. I eat the included food, which is wonderful. I don't need their salon. I can do my own hair. I put my phone up and enjoy a wifi holiday. I drink a little, but not enough for a package. I buy a picture or 2 and enjoy excursions, especially if they are historical or show how the current residents live. I take my own pictures, hundreds. I love cruising. I get treated like a queen for a week or so. And I like the opportunity to do it on the cheap. So try again. Alaska was incredible, by the way!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh gosh...no one forced you to buy anything. There are all the freebies for those who have no desire to spend more than they paid for the cruise. All those freebies are listed on the website. They also offer extras for an extra charge. The extras are for those who don't mind paying to enhance their vacation...like some of the shows, restaurants etc. And yes, you could have had your special bourbon by paying the difference. People can go on a vacation seeking out the fun and positive things and ignore the negative or they can decide to pick the entire vacation apart and be miserable.

I agree there seems to be a prevalence of upselling on cruise lines. However, IMHO, there is plenty to do and enjoy without feeling like you 'must' spend extra money.

Since a lot of what the OP mentioned is 'manageable' (even by managing expectations), I wouldn't write off cruising all together before trying a different cruise line.

You may find a cruise line where overall the positives outweigh the negatives....for you.

Just as an example, since I'm a fan of Celebrity, maybe their premium drink package would include the bourbon you like, so that eliminates one issue you had.... Etc etc. As others have said, research will help, now that you know what you are looking for a bit more.

I tell this to every first time cruiser - try to spend as little as you can on the ship.

Sorry to say it. This is a simple case of buyer's remorse. Don't splurge if it will make you unhappy. Of course read descriptions. Martini tasting but you have a drink package? That's on you...

I agree there seems to be a prevalence of upselling on cruise lines. However, IMHO, there is plenty to do and enjoy without feeling like you 'must' spend extra money.

Since a lot of what the OP mentioned is 'manageable' (even by managing expectations), I wouldn't write off cruising all together before trying a different cruise line.

You may find a cruise line where overall the positives outweigh the negatives....for you.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

I would suggest that they don't cruise again. This experience will sour all future cruise exp b/c first impressions are lasting impressions.

I suggest the OP vacation how they did in the past. It obviously brought them some degree of happiness, unlike cruising.

Oh gosh...no one forced you to buy anything. There are all the freebies for those who have no desire to spend more than they paid for the cruise. All those freebies are listed on the website. They also offer extras for an extra charge. The extras are for those who don't mind paying to enhance their vacation...like some of the shows, restaurants etc. And yes, you could have had your special bourbon by paying the difference. People can go on a vacation seeking out the fun and positive things and ignore the negative or they can decide to pick the entire vacation apart and be miserable.

agreed