Cruise to the Caribbean in May - is a balcony worth it during the warmer months?

We're doing a 7 night cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean in May. I'm wondering if people use the balcony much in May with the warmer weather or if we'll be satisfied with a window view. Thoughts on whether a balcony is worth it during the warmer season?

Are you concerned it will be too hot to sit outside, or that since the weather will be good you won't spend much time in the cabin? There will be some breeze even on a semi enclosed balcony when the ship is underway, so the temperature will feel slightly cooler. Plus, most of the time you are likely to be in your cabin is not the hottest part of the day, it is early morning and late evening.

A balcony is of value to me even if I don't end up sitting outside much, as I'm not a outdoorsy type of person. I mostly see balcony cabins as a large window through which the outdoors can be easily viewed from the bed and/or couch. Most oceanview cabin layouts and photos I've seen have a small window high over the head of the bed, and the cabin is on a lower deck. With that, you aren't really getting a view - its mostly just the natural light coming in.

Also, we like being able to pop outside if we hear or see anything interesting, like if we are in our room when we are entering or leaving port. Plus the location of balcony (and interior) cabins can be more convenient for some people, having more decks on the ship to choose from than oceanview cabins. That said, we've only ever sailed in balcony cabins.

We cruised to the Caribbean in September and sat on our balcony quite often, especially at night. Even with the humidity, it was very nice. Also great to put your camera outside before leaving, so it doesn’t fog up the first 30 minutes. And if docked on your side, great place to watch for [emoji125].

Cindy

I believe it is a personal choice. For us we would rather stay at home and look out our windows than to sail without a balcony. Two upcoming cruises on Empress and Majesty, we booked JS so we could have our balcony. Made mistake once and booked oceanview and was never forgiven.

For very active people who spend little time in cabin it may not make a difference but for some of us it makes a world of difference. Breakfast on balcony on port days is number 1 on our priority list. As I said, personal choice.

Are you concerned it will be too hot to sit outside, or that since the weather will be good you won't spend much time in the cabin? There will be some breeze even on a semi enclosed balcony when the ship is underway, so the temperature will feel slightly cooler. Plus, most of the time you are likely to be in your cabin is not the hottest part of the day, it is early morning and late evening.

A balcony is of value to me even if I don't end up sitting outside much, as I'm not a outdoorsy type of person. I mostly see balcony cabins as a large window through which the outdoors can be easily viewed from the bed and/or couch. Most oceanview cabin layouts and photos I've seen have a small window high over the head of the bed, and the cabin is on a lower deck. With that, you aren't really getting a view - its mostly just the natural light coming in.

Also, we like being able to pop outside if we hear or see anything interesting, like if we are in our room when we are entering or leaving port. Plus the location of balcony (and interior) cabins can be more convenient for some people, having more decks on the ship to choose from than oceanview cabins. That said, we've only ever sailed in balcony cabins.

Same here, we like the vista that you get from the sliding glass doors whether we sit outside or not

A balcony is a must for us! We love to sit and have coffee in the morning, relax and read a book in the afternoon and in the evening a cocktail before dinner. Hubby also said he loves to sit out there while I'm getting ready since he's wash and wear and it takes me longer! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Obviously it is a personal choice. From my perspective it adds a lot even if I don't use it because it makes the cabin living space feel larger from added space within in your field of view. I have cruised at all times of year and even in summer I tend to use the balcony a lot. For me the private direct ocean view and the ability to use it is one of the biggest positives on any cruise. But as I said it is a personal choice.

Be warned once you book a balcony it will be hard not to book one the next time.

I always cruise in May, October and the first week of December, but May is my favorite for so many reasons:

1- It is warm still in the 80's during the day but not scorching hot outside

2- Kids are still in school and you find the least amount of kids as school finished in May/June and they need to take tests and such so parents don't take them out of school generally during this time

3- The cruise rates still are lower than during summer months

4- Less chance for hurricanes in May

A balcony is a must for us! We love to sit and have coffee in the morning, relax and read a book in the afternoon and in the evening a cocktail before dinner. Hubby also said he loves to sit out there while I'm getting ready since he's wash and wear and it takes me longer! [emoji41]

Agree - we can't even fathom booking a cabin without a balcony. Once you're experienced a balcony cabin...it will be tough to go to something less.

We have cruised with Ocean View as well as inside cabins. Did those both just once! We only cruise with balconies. It gives you the ability to read, watch and relax with no one around. Also, having the balcony allows you to have fresh air come into the cabin when the door is open. We also treat it as an "extra room". My husband enjoys napping so it gives me another "room" to go to if I don't want to be out on deck.

Time of year doesn't really matter. We are sailing out of NYC in December and have a balcony. It'll be chilly for the 1st 2 days down and last 2 back.

We have 4 kids so we always look for the cheapest room combo. (Weird but balconies were cheaper than insides when we booked this last one) That said I can't sail an inside cabin. I need natural light or I'll get cabin fever ;) but would stick the kids on an inside no problem.

The 2 times we were on FOS we did family Oceanviews. But on NCL we had a balcony and it's nice to open your door at night for fresh air.

We can do either OVs or balconies but if the price is right I'd go balcony every time.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk