UK vs US pricing

Mynki

For even better deals we always now Book Onboard taking the bonus obc there and then. Celebrity are still using the 1.69:1 exchange rate for the deposit, hence you only pay £148 for a $250obc - better than any ATM. (that’s a 14day Balcony cabin rate)

Onboard booking T&C are still different between the US and UK, you are still not allowed price drops unless you cancel and rebook. But there is nothing to stop you booking a second ‘Cruise Now’ reservation which allows a change of ship / sail date numerous times without penalty. So using one cruise to change to the other achieves the desired result of getting the new price drop rate.

Obviously you will need to spend the obc as it is non- refundable, we had $500 obc when we booked 2 CRuise Now bookings. We bought an iPad Pro which was much cheaper than the UK so it was a win-win for us.

For even better, better deals do as you say and book online to gain the additional OBC. THEN have your reservation transferred to a US TA and collect their additional OBC too.

We've done this on Southampton sailings. But this is where things can get complicated. Initially e were told this is not possible because the sailing was operated by Celebrity UK. But because we had used a US TA previously, they eventually relented and let us transfer the booking.

This was for a Japan sailing. Japanese itineraries can prove very popular which is why we booked far in advance. The prices have now increased 60% and the perks are not as good.

But, pay attention to what others are saying, it is possible for itineraries which were once popular historically can bomb price wise and you might lose out.

I check both and I would say that the USA are almost always cheaper (and more flexible). However there are some itineraries which do not seem to appeal to USA clients - eg Dubai - so the prices are always better for these in the UK.

I have spent the morning pricing up a cruise for 2019 - the UK price is £800($1000) cheaper than in the US at the mo, with both offering the same perks, so it looks like UK gets my booking this time!

Right now there are some cruises which are clearly cheaper here in the UK. In addition, until November 14th you'll receive a classic drinks package from Celebrity UK. This is of a much higher value than the OBC offered by US TA's on the same sailings.

But this is where things can get complicated. Whilst some classes of stateroom are clearly cheaper here, on the exact same sailings sometimes suites are cheaper in the US.

To avoid any confusion the prices I've seen have been checked live with both US TA's and the Celebrity UK website. It's not an issue with a well known third party price monitoring website.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. The trend continues One of many examples. .

Millennium december 8th sailing, A2 stateroom.:-

US big box travel agent £1680 plus taxes and port fees. No perks.

Celebrity UK (With current applicable offer, £900 discount and included classic drinks package). £1634 including taxes and port fees. Classic drinks package included.

The refundable deposit has always been a factor for us when booking a long way out and now that Celebrity in the US is applying the same restrictions ( apparently you can choose a refundable or non refundable deposit so not quite the same) the attraction is not quite the same. However we have a cruise booked from San Diego to Vancouver in 2019 where the fare is pretty much the same UK or US but booking with our US agent we are getting 2 perks and $300 OBC. UK, no perks, no OBC and this is a refundable deposit deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The refundable deposit has always been a factor for us when booking a long way out and now that Celebrity in the US is applying the same restrictions ( apparently you can choose a refundable or non refundable deposit so not quite the same) the attraction is not quite the same. However we have a cruise booked from San Diego to Vancouver in 2019 where the fare is pretty much the same UK or US but booking with our US agent we are getting 2 perks and $300 OBC. UK, no perks, no OBC and this is a refundable deposit deal.

You are, of course, bearing the risk of changes in £/$ rates increasing the effective cost - as well as the risk of a stronger pound making it cheaper. If we knew for certain which way the rate would go, we'd be having our PA's PA type these messages for us! ;-)

Another issue with booking in the UK...most of the major TA’s in the UK charge a 2.5% credit card fee. This has recently been challenged and at least one TA has rescinded this practice.

That practice has to stop by law in early 2018

A similar case, for me in Mexico it is better to book locally than in the United States. I contract my cruises in advance and I am protected from the exchange rate fluctuation and more in these moments of political and economic uncertainty .. Of course there is a disadvantage Celebrity Mexico does not offer accessories such as Air and Hotel.

I also monitored local prices and had the opportunity to receive an upgrade for the next cruise in the Eclipse to the Caribbean.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Yet another reason for booking with a refundable deposit. So far ahead that we can cancel should the $ get out of hand by the end of 2018. Remember the good old days of 1.90 to the £.

I can just remember 2.40 to the £. 1c = 1d! (1972-73 and 1980, though I know p replaced d in 1971)

Stuart

Not sure but some UK Australia pricing includes tips and taxes

Not sure but some UK Australia pricing includes tips and taxes

UK pricing includes port fees and taxes. Not sure about OZ.

I believe Celebrity Australia now include tips. Hopefully Celebrity UK will follow suit and do away with the dumb practice of adding an additional payment rather than just including it in the initial cruise fare.

Another issue with booking in the UK...most of the major TA’s in the UK charge a 2.5% credit card fee. This has recently been challenged and at least one TA has rescinded this practice.

Here the charge to the credit card is made directly by Celebrity offices in Mexico without any fee.

It’s not only the USD or GBP to consider. My husband and I recently booked a Celebrity cruise out of Southampton as we will be in the UK at the time. Booking through the UK site vs the US or Australian sites saved us $1000 AUD. Not to be dismissed particularly as we got OBC, drinks and gratuities included

For even better, better deals do as you say and book online to gain the additional OBC. THEN have your reservation transferred to a US TA and collect their additional OBC too.

We've done this on Southampton sailings. But this is where things can get complicated. Initially e were told this is not possible because the sailing was operated by Celebrity UK. But because we had used a US TA previously, they eventually relented and let us transfer the booking.

This was for a Japan sailing. Japanese itineraries can prove very popular which is why we booked far in advance. The prices have now increased 60% and the perks are not as good.

But, pay attention to what others are saying, it is possible for itineraries which were once popular historically can bomb price wise and you might lose out.

We are UK based and I use both a US based Travel Agent and UK. If I see a cruise I price with both. Our last 2 cruise bookings have been made directly with Celebrity UK who price matched 3rd party UK travel agent. Saved £700 on one booking alone. Our last booking was made direct with Celebrity UK and my US travel agent tried to get it transferred to him but Celebrity would not relent due to the 2 different currencies.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I can just remember 2.40 to the £. 1c = 1d! (1972-73 and 1980, though I know p replaced d in 1971)

Stuart

But, don't forget that Exchange Controls were still in force at that time. At the time of abolition, the limit on foreign currency was, if memory serves, £300 under EC12. In 1972-73, it may have been even lower - I remember a £50 limit in the late 1960s but I have a vague recollection (probably false!) of an interim figure of £100 per person per annum. :)

But, don't forget that Exchange Controls were still in force at that time. At the time of abolition, the limit on foreign currency was, if memory serves, £300 under EC12. In 1972-73, it may have been even lower - I remember a £50 limit in the late 1960s but I have a vague recollection (probably false!) of an interim figure of £100 per person per annum. :)

I had, of course, forgotten. In those days, I was a student camping in France, and the limit wasn't an issue! ;-)

Stuart

I had, of course, forgotten. In those days, I was a student camping in France, and the limit wasn't an issue! ;-)

Stuart

Same for me! My first foreign holiday as an adult was in 1976, by which time the £300 limit was in force for spending money. I managed to scrape together £170 for camping at Blois in the Loire Valley - did manage to pack several tins of Sainsbury's mince & carrots so that food purchases were kept to the absolute minimum. Revisited Blois this year - 41 years later and still camping (but have risen to a trailer tent!) clear.png?emoji-grin-1677. Bit of a contrast to the cruises!

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart

Ha, ha, I can too. I was in the US as a student in 1970 and it was approximately 2.50 to the £ and the Canadian dollar was even more back then.

I always compare prices between UK and US. For our next cruise I've booked with a US agent as they were offering a reduction for seniors which made it cheaper than in the UK. I've not come across any UK agents offering senior's rates.

After paying our final balance, I learned that there had been a substantial price drop on unsold cabins and asked the US agent if we might benefit from that. We were subsequently offered a double upgrade and two additional perks. I've not experienced UK agents doing that.

I always compare prices between UK and US. For our next cruise I've booked with a US agent as they were offering a reduction for seniors which made it cheaper than in the UK. I've not come across any UK agents offering senior's rates.

After paying our final balance, I learned that there had been a substantial price drop on unsold cabins and asked the US agent if we might benefit from that. We were subsequently offered a double upgrade and two additional perks. I've not experienced UK agents doing that.

They're not allowed to: Celebrity UK are far less flexible and helpful than Celebrity US.

Stuart

They're not allowed to: Celebrity UK are far less flexible and helpful than Celebrity US.

Stuart

Lets be clear, they are not allowed to by Celebrity. There has been suggestions that UK laws forbid such things. They don't but Celebrity do forbid them.

Just booked our first ever RCL cruise. We went for a balcony cabin.

I checked as always, the basic cruise price when taxes and port charges are factored in is slightly cheaper in the UK. But booking through RCL UK who are currently having one of their fake 'buy one get one half price sales' also includes a deluxe beverage package and gratuities thrown in. So its another UK booking for us this time as it's a much better deal.

However I note suites are also cheaper in the UK, but insides and OV cabins are cheaper in the US on the very same sailing!!! The inconsistencies are bizarre.

There are no over 55's (this would be illegal under EU law I believe), military or resident rates in the UK. However, be careful with all three of these. They tend to not include perks. Sometimes you can get a better deal booking the regular fare when any perks are factored in etc.