Never stop looking!!!!!

PoohUnderstands

I checked my cruise on the Crown leaving 12/01 today. I was able to upgrade from a balcony to a minisuite for only $30 per person and I got free gratuities as well! Thanks for posting this or I wouldn’t have known to check and call Princess.

I checked my cruise on the Crown leaving 12/01 today. I was able to upgrade from a balcony to a minisuite for only $30 per person and I got free gratuities as well! Thanks for posting this or I wouldn’t have known to check and call Princess.

MyBichon:

I am so excited that my thread has helped so many people! I am so excited for you and your upgrade! Not only more space but a bigger shower!!!!!!! Have a great cruise.

This was my hope for my posting ( not gloating) and I am just so grateful that this has been so successful for you and others.

Pooh

Question ...

So far, none of the cool sales have been for our cruise, but if it happens, I assume I would lose my non-refundable deposit if I re-booked to get a better deal, but, what would happen with the OB purchases I already made and the excursions I already booked? We had to pay upfront for the excursions.

Our ship is still pretty empty for a Feb sailing, so I'm thinking some price drops may occur.

Thanks!

Alwalaska:

I would hope that if you had any price drops that you would be able to rebook under your original confirmation number and that means that your deposit is not involved. I have rebooked several times where the only difference was in the final price due at final payment. The only time you might lose your deposit if it was a really good price for NEW BOOKINGS only. Then you would have to determine if it were worth it to rebook. But if there is just a price drop, just call Princess and they will give it to you.

As far as your paid excursions go, have not run into that yet, but I assume they would stay with you. I had to actually rebook my Canada cruise as I went from the cruise to the cruise tour and that was the only way they could do it. Even so, I kept the same Confirmation number etc. So I am assuming your excursions would stay too. In this case, my cruise deposit WAS refundable, so on my CC on the same day so it was a wash, there was a new deposit charged and a credit for my old cruise. So was very easy to do.

As the phenomenon of these price drops is recent and as far as I know not happened before, could it be related to the hurricanes in the Caribbean and folks cancelling their cruises? It sounds like at least a few of you are on Med cruises so presumably that explanation wouldn't apply in your case. I just can't imagine myself constantly checking the current price of a cruise. FYI we don't have any cruises booked due to current health problems so we're "not missing the boast" so to speak on these price reductions.

Barb:

Sorry to hear that cruising isn't in your near future. Hope it will be again soon. I guess that deep down I have always wanted to be a TA because planning and executing vacations (cruise and land) at the least pricing but best rooms and surroundings have always fascinated me.

Even before I retired, if I had a cruise booked (either myself thru the line or thru my TA) I always looked daily or twice a day to check on prices (same for hotels and airfares) to see if they had gone down and to hurry and get the better amount. It really doesn't take that much time - literally I'd say 5 minutes at most. I have always taken advantage of sales and I always have rebooked at least once on all my cruises from around 2002 and on. My Med. cruise was the best and I rebooked that one 3 times and saved about $2200 before all was said and done. I do think that the fantastic prices now for the Caribbean for the remainder of this year and into next is a result of the hurricanes, but I have always gotten, as I said, at least one rebooking even for my Caribbean/Panama Canal itineraries.

It is such a good feeling when I have hung up from Princess after rebooking a cruise I am going on anyway at the original prices and saving a minimum of $100 to $1000 a phone call!!!!!! To me this advanced checking and planning and research is all a part of the trip and even a good percentage of the fun of the trip itself to me.

Again, I hope your health rebounds quickly and you book that next cruise soon.

Pooh

We have 2 cruises coming up and after several, several calls we did not get free gratuities but managed to get:

1. Crown (Nov-8 nights): $200 shipboard credit, free dinner at Sabatini's, and upgrade from window to balcony.

2. Royal (Dec-10 nights): $250 shipboard credit, free dinner at Sabatini's, and upgrade from obstructed view balcony to mini suite.

We have 2 cruises coming up and after several, several calls we did not get free gratuities but managed to get:

1. Crown (Nov-8 nights): $200 shipboard credit, free dinner at Sabatini's, and upgrade from window to balcony.

2. Royal (Dec-10 nights): $250 shipboard credit, free dinner at Sabatini's, and upgrade from obstructed view balcony to mini suite.

Well, I would say that beats free gratuities any day!!!!!!! Congrats.

One question. How did the upgrade come about on both calls? Did you pay alittle more? Did you ask? Also with the free dinners too. If you don't mind, how did this come about? Thanks for any input you can give.

Pooh

Well, I would say that beats free gratuities any day!!!!!!! Congrats.

One question. How did the upgrade come about on both calls? Did you pay alittle more? Did you ask? Also with the free dinners too. If you don't mind, how did this come about? Thanks for any input you can give.

Pooh

The prices on both continued to drop - a lot. And, then they offered free gratuities on top of the lower prices. So, I made more than 1 call (on both cruises). And, I asked to speak to a supervisor.

Never stop looking!

Are you getting these changes after final payment? We booked through a TA, our cruise is in 4 weeks so final payment already processed. I have inquired about credits because of a port change in the Caribbean and also had noticed that new bookings are now much lower, probably because of a less-appealing itinerary. We would lose75% if we outright cancelled, plus airfare. All that we were offered was a $20 per cabin OBC for the port fees difference. Not sure what more I can do, but after reading all your posts I am really annoyed about this experience!

Are you getting these changes after final payment? We booked through a TA, our cruise is in 4 weeks so final payment already processed. I have inquired about credits because of a port change in the Caribbean and also had noticed that new bookings are now much lower, probably because of a less-appealing itinerary. We would lose75% if we outright cancelled, plus airfare. All that we were offered was a $20 per cabin OBC for the port fees difference. Not sure what more I can do, but after reading all your posts I am really annoyed about this experience!

Yes, we got changes after final payment. We booked ourselves directly thru Princess.

We are leaving in 2 weeks for the Star P to Hawaii, I cheaped out and bought an inside for a ridiculously low price last month and yesterday I looked and there was a obstructed ocean view guarantee for the same price and I grabbed it. We did not lose any OBC, and any ocean view is better than and inside. It always pays to watch, even at the last minute.

Call your TA and insist that they contact Princess on a 3 way phone call. Reports of accommodation being made after final payment for Caribbean cruises is all over these boards. Escalate to a supervisor, if necessary.

We are leaving in 2 weeks for the Star P to Hawaii, I cheaped out and bought an inside for a ridiculously low price last month and yesterday I looked and there was a obstructed ocean view guarantee for the same price and I grabbed it. We did not lose any OBC, and any ocean view is better than and inside. It always pays to watch, even at the last minute.

Right on! Congrats on the new stateroom! Even though I started this thread, I was under the impression that after final payment that was it. I even learned from my own thread! I am going to see what happens after final payment and then go for it if anything possible presents itself.

Pooh

Call your TA and insist that they contact Princess on a 3 way phone call. Reports of accommodation being made after final payment for Caribbean cruises is all over these boards. Escalate to a supervisor, if necessary.

The key conversation needs to take place with your travel agent and a Princess Customer Relations rep.

In my experience, you must talk to a supervisor to get any shipboard credit, upgrade, etc. Not just the person who answers the phone. Do not take "no" by the person who answers the phone.

In my experience, you must talk to a supervisor to get any shipboard credit, upgrade, etc. Not just the person who answers the phone. Do not take "no" by the person who answers the phone.

Correct. The conversation needs to be with Customer Relations not a reservation agent. You have to ask the reservation agent to transfer the call to Customer Relations since there isn't a direct number a consumer can call .

That is almost there, almost - what did I just get myself into.....

The first person, may or may not be able to help you - just don't take their answer as a final answer for sure....

Now, will Princess negotiate more with the direct passenger or a TA?? - and I know Princess NEVER has a set in stone policy, as it mostly depends on which rep you end up talking to

In my biased opinion, of course

Right on! Congrats on the new stateroom! Even though I started this thread, I was under the impression that after final payment that was it. I even learned from my own thread! I am going to see what happens after final payment and then go for it if anything possible presents itself.

Pooh

Our final payment was made Sept.30 and because of this thread I called and got upgraded to deluxe balcony from inside for free, as I had posted earlier. So yes, it is possible if you get the "right" person in customer relations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our final payment was made Sept.30 and because of this thread I called and got upgraded to deluxe balcony from inside for free, as I had posted earlier. So yes, it is possible if you get the "right" person in customer relations.

Pa247:

Fantastic! One question. How did you start the conversation in order to get this free upgrade?

Pooh

Pooh

When I called my TA she easily moved us , it looked like we might have lost $85 OBC but after she called Princess we did not lose a penny. Its never too late! ;)

Pa247:

Fantastic! One question. How did you start the conversation in order to get this free upgrade?

Pooh

I called Princess directly as we didn't use a ta. Said we paid $649 each for inside and now their website was advertising $429 or whatever it was that day for balcony and we were very upset about it. Was very polite and just kept stressing how upsetting this was and got transferred to customer relations and they offered deluxe balcony for same price so hopped on it.

Also called about the ocean experience not being in our cabin, again very politely and stressing how disappointed, which we are actually as we are techie types, and wound up getting $50 obc each. Since this is our first princess cruise was delighted with that!