Prepay gratuities....yes or no for us?

jor689

I like to pay for everything now that the cruiselines are making it easier to prepay for services. :D

Since I'm the one who pays for our vacations, each pay I get something out the way. So far, for our upcoming Oasis cruise, we have the Beverage Package and Internet paid for.

Staying overnight in Cocoa Beach and I already paid for that.

I'm paying the Gratuities this payday on Friday and I'm not sure of a Dining Package.

If you're using credit, you might as well wait. We dont use credit for our vacations, everything is paid upfront in cash. Our Credit cards are for emergencies only, so for my family it's prepay.

Whatever u decide, enjoy your cruise.:)

On board credit (OBC) is not credit card money.

We do use credit cards to pay, as we are getting cash back points for every dollar spent. Then we are just paying off full balance before cycle ends to avoid interest.

But gratuity we don’t prepay as not much sense for us in doing so. They will be charged automatically anyway.

We prepay the gratuities and never, ever eat in the MDR. We prepay for the same reason that others have mentioned....it is nice to come back from a vacation with a smaller credit card bill. We try to get a lot of the expenses out of the way before we sail. :)

Our last cruise by prepaying everything, our final bill was only $155. My husband had the Deluxe Package and we paid for the gratuities. I ended up paying the balance off in cash. We didn't buy any extra things except our final diner picture and that was using our D perk for a free photo.

As some here know, cruises sold in NZ by RCL have fares inclusive of the service charge. Our contracts include this "Service Charge's for dining and stateroom attendants are included in your voyage fare".

Some will conclude that this happens because Kiwis don't pay tips. Whilst it is true that a typical Kiwi would never even imagine that there was a need to pay a tip for the normal level of service that comes with a person doing their job, the reason for all-inclusive pricing is that consumer legislation here requires this.

In NZ it is not legal to advertise a price prominently and then try to modify that amount through fine print. To use such advertising devices is deemed to be misleading. The legislation is strong to the point that an advertising flyer can act to modify the terms of a freely signed contract.

If you're using credit, you might as well wait. We dont use credit for our vacations, everything is paid upfront in cash. Our Credit cards are for emergencies only, so for my family it's prepay.

Whatever u decide, enjoy your cruise.:)

I understand why you do what you do. But on the other hand, you can pay with your credit card (in advance) then pay that every month. No debt, but you can gain other benefits.

Cash back - many cards offer 1 - 1.5% cash back. So every $1000 you put on the card, you get back $10 - $15. It adds up over time.

OBC - get an RCI card, and you get 2 points per dollar for RC purchases and 1 per point for all other. For each 10,000 points, you get $100 OBC to use on your cruise. So $5000 in cruise purchases, gets $100 OBC. Plus there is a bonus on the first use of the card within 65 days, of 10,000 points. So pay for cruise and other things worth $5000 on RCI, with a new card, get $200 OBC.

Airline cards - you get airline miles for every dollar you spend. Double for paying for airline tickets with that airline's card. So more miles to get upgrades or free tickets. Airline cards also come with priority boarding and free checked bag. Some cards come with lounge access (United - two visits per year for basic card, unlimited with the higher card). And some cards come with elite status for other programs (United upper level card gives status with Hyatt).

Hotel cards - Points per dollar, plus some come with elite status. Hilton card gives you Gold status with Hilton.

That's exactly what we do.

Also disputes are easier with credit cards than with debit, as when you using debit your money are paid right away, where with credit cards you only pat if you agree with a charge

I believe the OP was asking whether to pre-pay their tips or not, not whether to tip or not tip:)

I know what he posted, but, in the past, the question equates to not tipping the dining staff because they don't eat in the dining room. To me, it appeared it was just another way to ask the question of should he tip or not, but if I am wrong, I apologize to the OP.

When one prepays the tips, it's the full amount- not less, so my answer applies to his question,.

I know what he posted, but, in the past, the question equates to not tipping the dining staff because they don't eat in the dining room. To me, it appeared it was just another way to ask the question of should he tip or not, but if I am wrong, I apologize to the OP.

When one prepays the tips, it's the full amount- not less, so my answer applies to his question,.

That is exactly how i read the ops question.

We always prepay gratuities and give plenty of cash tips too.

We always prepay gratuities and give plenty of cash tips too.

I am interested to know why you pay additional cash tips. Is it purely out if kindness, due to exceptional service or in expectation you will receive better service if you tip?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I are going on Oasis of the Seas and we have an option to prepay gratuities before the sail date. We are NOT going to main dining room at all and no specialty dining either. My wife wants to do Windjammer buffet for dinner. (My wife wants what she wants!)

Should we prepay gratuities?[/quote YES you should IF YOU CAN'T TIP STAY HOME

my wife and i are going on oasis of the seas and we have an option to prepay gratuities before the sail date. We are not going to main dining room at all and no specialty dining either. My wife wants to do windjammer buffet for dinner. (my wife wants what she wants!)

should we prepay gratuities?

stay home if you can't tip

I am British and work in France so tipping is not something I do well. In France tipping is even smaller than the U.K. which is considerably smaller than N.America.

By my own admission I am a terrible tipper so I pre pay the tips so they are forgotten about by the time I Cruise. I don’t tip on the cruise.

I read many a post from US cruisers who give a hefty tip to bar staff at the beginning of the cruise so they are ‘looked after’. Tipping bar staff is completely unheard of in Europe and I would expect we all get the same service on board.

Servers and bartenders who are tipped extra always treat those guests a little better. For example, I'll tip the cocktail server in the theater, and I'll have regular service the entire time while others wonder why they can't find a waiter anywhere. Not that you would get bad service, but you are definitely not getting the same service. I always end up with a bar or 3 that I frequent, know the bartenders, tip them extra, and they take very good care of me and any special requests I have. But you certainly don't have to do that.

As for the OP. Yes, just prepay your gratuities. You are asking if you should pay them at all, yes, you should, regardless of where you eat. Windjammer will have servers that offer you drinks and special desserts, bus your tables, etc. The gratuities are split throughout the staff on the ship. Consider it part of your cruise fare and don't think much of it. Its not even very much money, like what, $90 for 7 days of excellent 24/7 service? Why would anyone even put much thought into it and especially try and get out of paying them?

Servers and bartenders who are tipped extra always treat those guests a little better. For example, I'll tip the cocktail server in the theater, and I'll have regular service the entire time while others wonder why they can't find a waiter anywhere. Not that you would get bad service, but you are definitely not getting the same service. I always end up with a bar or 3 that I frequent, know the bartenders, tip them extra, and they take very good care of me and any special requests I have. But you certainly don't have to do that.

But this is what I don’t get. In all the cruises I have been on I have always had bar service I was more than happy with. I usually take a drinks package which includes tips and unlimited so it’s not as though giving the bartender a tip gets me a lager measure.

I’m boarding Ovation at Hong Kong in 3 weeks so will test this out.. see what happens. Maybe us Europeans have a lower service expectation so feel we are getting a great service anyway!! Haha

I know they don't like to tell you this, but you can go to Guest Services and have the gratuities removed from your account. We do this everytime we sail. We don't go to the dining room often if at all. We like to hand our tips to the people that we think deserve them. I actually pre-tip some people on the first day. I hand them a thank you card with either a calling card or cash inside, just thanking them in advance for making our trip wonderful. We always get great service and tip again at the end of the sailing.

I am interested to know why you pay additional cash tips. Is it purely out if kindness, due to exceptional service or in expectation you will receive better service if you tip?

No, Yes, Yes.

No, I am not that kind to give away money.

Yes, I have been known to tip the room steward a bit the first day. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't.

Yes, if I get exceptional service, I tip extra. Last cruise, the pool bar staff was wonderful, so gave them some cash every so often. If you are wondering, the cash went in a bucket at the back of the bar, so it is shared, at least among the staff at that bar. And I was fine with that, as everyone at the bar was great.

Ok, as someone stated above, you are really asking two questions here: 1. should I prepay gratuities and 2. should I pay gratuities at all?

1. It's really up to you. I prepay mine, but that's because I like to have everything booked and paid for before I even set foot on the ship. Then my OBC is for shopping and "accidents" in the photo gallery (my downfall isn't the bar....it's the damn photo gallery!). So, for my upcoming b2b on Oasis, I prepaid grats, got the beverage package, and booked and paid for all of my shore excursions. I could conceivably walk of the ship with a bill of $0.00, and I like that idea.

2. The MDR and the specialty restaurants aren't the only places that get grats. The daily service fee (or gratuities) goes to the room attendants as well as all of the wait staff at all of the complimentary venues. All of them. I presume you are going to eat somewhere, yes? You mentioned the Windjammer. There are still waiters refilling those chafing dishes on the buffet, picking up dirty plates, refilling silverware, and keeping the dining room clean. To not tip at all is just...abhorrent. And, to just tip the staff that tend to you personally is a little insulting, as there are many on the team working to make YOUR vacation as good as it can possibly be. Why tip only some of them? That seems unfair.

stay home if you can't tip

So the only way to tip everyone is to PRE-PAY gratuities?

REALLY?

I do not pre-pay gratuities, but I do pay the full gratuities, plus tip extra. And normally book a suite, so pay a higher gratuity level that most cruisers.

But this is what I don’t get. In all the cruises I have been on I have always had bar service I was more than happy with. I usually take a drinks package which includes tips and unlimited so it’s not as though giving the bartender a tip gets me a lager measure.

I’m boarding Ovation at Hong Kong in 3 weeks so will test this out.. see what happens. Maybe us Europeans have a lower service expectation so feel we are getting a great service anyway!! Haha

Try tipping, you might be amazed at how the service can get better.

Less waiting time at the bar. And YES, they can and do give a larger measure. They fill the measure, but keep pouring while they dump the measure.

I know they don't like to tell you this' date=' but you can go to Guest Services and have the gratuities removed from your account. We do this everytime we sail. We don't go to the dining room often if at all. We like to hand our tips to the people that we think deserve them. I actually pre-tip some people on the first day. I hand them a thank you card with either a calling card or cash inside, just thanking them in advance for making our trip wonderful. We always get great service and tip again at the end of the sailing.[/quote']

So do you go out of your way to tip everyone in WJ?

How do you tip the behind the scenes personnel?

You are NOT tipping all those that serve you.

Less waiting time at the bar. And YES, they can and do give a larger measure. They fill the measure, but keep pouring while they dump the measure.

But the point I was making is if you have a package then larger measures don’t matter. You can just buy a rum and coke and then buy another measure to make it stronger if you wish.. so tips have no influence here. But without a package then yes I am sure this works wonders :)

We do this for exceptional service. We often receive it.

For example last year on Anthem one of the waitress (in buffet!) learned that we love tomato juice. She would stop near our table every morning and offer it for us. So we gave her $20. We give $20-50 to our room attendant and waiter in mdr if we very satisfied with their service toom

I did write that you are still getting good service, just not the "same." You don't have to tip the bartenders extra to get quality service on the cruise ship. But they may be less inclined to over pour or do anything special either, if that even matters to you. I know the staff generally don't like working outside of the US because of the lack of tips. Also in Asia, the bar staff hate it because it's not cultural for Asians to drink at bars as much as Americans. They make less money overseas than the US itineraries.

I don't really tip extra because I want special treatment, I tip extra because I enjoy brightening the days of others. I enjoy it. I think we gave our dining room waiter about $300 extra at the end of our last cruise plus started her off with a bit at the beginning, too. She was awesome.

So the only way to tip everyone is to PRE-PAY gratuities?

REALLY?

I do not pre-pay gratuities, but I do pay the full gratuities, plus tip extra. And normally book a suite, so pay a higher gratuity level that most cruisers.

So what you are saying is that you DO tip? Not sure what point you are trying to make then.

So do you go out of your way to tip everyone in WJ?

How do you tip the behind the scenes personnel?

You are NOT tipping all those that serve you.

We do tip the servers in Windjammer as well as those who may bring us drinks at the pool, theater, etc.

I didn't say that we don't tip. Quite the contrary, I think. We tip more people than most would even think about.