Fellow Carnival Cruisers, Learn from my mistake - Use the safe for your valuables.

torromierda

I don't know if they are any more secure than the safe, but we have a couple of cool bags that are lockable and can be secured to anything permanent with metal reinforced straps. In addition to securing your possessions when you are poolside or at the beach they can secure your possessions in your room. And a lot more will fit (eg, chromebook, camera, etc.) than will fit in a small cabin safe. We just added a 2and generation one that is lighter and even more secure.

https://www.amazon.com/CoolBag-Locking-Anti-Theft-Insulated-Compartment/dp/B01FQ19NK0

I have this bag also (love it!) but hadn't thought to use it in the cabin. Thank you for the idea.

A few years ago we were on a Carnival cruise - don't remeberwhich ship but it may have been the Conquest. We were home about two days when we got a call from Carnival asking if we had left a woman's watch in the safe. My wife checked and sure enough she had. It was so small that it probably was behind the lip of the safe. It was found when they cleaned the room - they check the safes to make sure they are left unlocked.

I've stopped taking my Nikon DSLR and just take a point and shoot - it's a pain to have to worry about leaving all that equipment in the room.

Where did you last have it? Was it in a drawer? Many times things ‘jump’ out of an upper drawer and land in a lower drawer or even under all the drawers.

A while ago there was a great thread about what pax found in their cabin, lots found at the back of the drawers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did you last have it? Was it in a drawer? Many times things ‘jump’ out of an upper drawer and land in a lower drawer or even under all the drawers.

A while ago there was a great thread about what pax found in their cabin, lots found at the back of the drawers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes it lands in a theifs pocket .

Question for the OP - was your folder transparent, could the cash be seen easily? Or did the thief have to physically open the folder to see the cash? Not that it matters in the end, theft is theft, but I'm curious. I'm usually very careful with putting obvious stuff in the safe, but now I'll be more thoughtful with even just my paperwork.

Hi The answer is that the folder was translucent purple and the money was in a card envelope within it.. The thief would have had to examine it to find the cash.

***Update***

Had some follow up questions that I was advised I would have to ask after the cruise by mailing guest services. I did this received an auto reply stating it would take up to 7 days to reply.

8 days later, nothing received. Tried the UK listed 0843 number and was asked to go on hold to guest services.....been 30 minutes so far.

Not good.

Use the safe for your valuables.

Use the bed for sleeping.

Use the outlets to plus in items that need electricity.

Use the closets for hanging your clothes.

Use the shower to wash yourself.

Use the toilet to relive yourself.

Use the food onboard to not die of hunger while at sea.

Etc......

Just want to help others who need these PSAs in order to survive life on a cruise ship.

lol

***Update***

Had some follow up questions that I was advised I would have to ask after the cruise by mailing guest services. I did this received an auto reply stating it would take up to 7 days to reply.

8 days later, nothing received. Tried the UK listed 0843 number and was asked to go on hold to guest services.....been 30 minutes so far.

Not good.

I appreciate that you took the time to start this thread.

You can be sure some good will come of your efforts!

Learning from your own mistakes is great. Letting other people learn from your mistakes is priceless.

Thanks!

The folder very well may have "gone missing."

Before leaving a cabin at the end of the cruise, I make a thorough sweep of the cabin. I climb up to look on top of cabinets, remove drawers, move the beds away from the walls and look under them.

Over the years I have found:

1. a folder with birth certificates, airline tickets and cash on top of a wardrobe cabinet on RCCL

2. A bag full of souvenir children's tee shirts under the bottom drawer of a bed side table (Holland America)

3. A game boy under the bed (NCL)

4. A pouch with rings and bracelets in the back of a top shelf in the closet (HAL)

All were turned into guest services on the ship. The folder with the birth certificates, airline tickets, and cash caused the most discussion at the desk. The guest had reported it "stolen" on a cruise the month before and was screaming for compensation. They were still dealing with the paperwork on board.

I have a iPad that goes with me everywhere... I use it to read, check email, you name it.

A few cruises ago I went out to breakfast with my hubby and forgot something in the room so ran back after breakfast to get it... as I approached the room, the door was propped open and the cabin steward was nowhere around (turns out he was just across the hall, answering someone's question in the middle of cleaning our room). But there on the corner of the bed where I'd left it, was my beloved iPad! It could have been picked up by anyone just passing by and been gone in a heartbeat.

Ever since, I make sure to at least put my valuables out of sight, and MOST of the time I use the safe for valuables... I'll reconsider that decision now and make sure I use it ALL of the time in future.

Use the safe for your valuables.

Use the bed for sleeping.

Use the outlets to plus in items that need electricity.

Use the closets for hanging your clothes.

Use the shower to wash yourself.

Use the toilet to relive yourself.

Use the food onboard to not die of hunger while at sea.

Etc......

Just want to help others who need these PSAs in order to survive life on a cruise ship.

lol

*Raises eyebrow*

karma watches us all.

The folder very well may have "gone missing."

Before leaving a cabin at the end of the cruise, I make a thorough sweep of the cabin. I climb up to look on top of cabinets, remove drawers, move the beds away from the walls and look under them.

Over the years I have found:

1. a folder with birth certificates, airline tickets and cash on top of a wardrobe cabinet on RCCL

2. A bag full of souvenir children's tee shirts under the bottom drawer of a bed side table (Holland America)

3. A game boy under the bed (NCL)

4. A pouch with rings and bracelets in the back of a top shelf in the closet (HAL)

All were turned into guest services on the ship. The folder with the birth certificates, airline tickets, and cash caused the most discussion at the desk. The guest had reported it "stolen" on a cruise the month before and was screaming for compensation. They were still dealing with the paperwork on board.

You can rest assured that we did the same sweep and also insisted that Security did it too. I didn't want to go to Guest Services to make such an accusation until I was sure the folder had been taken, not misplaced. I would have loved this to be a breakdown in communication between my wife and I.

After TWO thorough searches, including our cases and every single item of clothing we have, which took over an hour I don't expect them to continue to use the term 'go missing' then again the UK has less of a litigation culture than the UK so I guess they are being careful. It's just a pity that it largely invalidates anything else they say in the final letter they wrote to me.

In the case of the folder I found, I was asked if security could be sent to the cabin so I could show them where the folder was found. Like your case, a thorough sweep of the cabin had been done at the time. I agreed (and suggested they bring a step stool instead of the vanity stool I had used).

In my case, I was on a RCCL voyager class ship. At the time (don't know if still is), the closets were wardrobe cabinets. There was space on top of the cabinet for storage. When I looked up there, I saw a corner of something black sticking up between the cabin side wall and cabinet in the back half of the cabinet. I had to pull and managed to pull the folder up.

It didn't surprise me the folder was missed. The light just seemed to hit the corner just right for me to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
In the case of the folder I found, I was asked if security could be sent to the cabin so I could show them where the folder was found. Like your case, a thorough sweep of the cabin had been done at the time. I agreed (and suggested they bring a step stool instead of the vanity stool I had used).

In my case, I was on a RCCL voyager class ship. At the time (don't know if still is), the closets were wardrobe cabinets. There was space on top of the cabinet for storage. When I looked up there, I saw a corner of something black sticking up between the cabin side wall and cabinet in the back half of the cabinet. I had to pull and managed to pull the folder up.

It didn't surprise me the folder was missed. The light just seemed to hit the corner just right for me to see it.

Thank you for the response, detailed and definitely food for thought, with a chance that it might not have been theft which I would like to consider.

At this moment in time given the response from Carnival I am not considering them for my next cruise, but taking your words into consideration, I have not responded to them in anger so the door is open.

I'm not suggesting this has happened to anyone posting in this thread...I have a friend who went on a cruise (I'm so glad I wasn't there because I could image the ruckus) on the second day she tore her cabin apart looking wildly for her "brand new camera" just bought for the islands she would be visiting. She blamed the steward, his assistant, and genuine strangers for coming into her cabin while she wasn't there and "taking it" - She filed complaints with guest services, and security. Her trip was "ruined" because now she could not trust anyone to not go into her cabin and steal other items. The cruise line gave her $250 OBC to go to the gift shop and buy a comparable camera so she would have photos and the cruise would not be "ruined" - they bent over backwards assuring her that strangers would not have access to her cabin and that her steward and assistant cabins and belonging were gone through. They even had a different steward (senior level) and assistant take over her cabin.

Anyone want to guess how this story ends? (scroll down)

A week later when she got home her brand new camera was sitting on her coffee table, with the manual and all accessories. She'd completely forgotten that the night before she left she'd spent the evening reading the manual and playing with the camera.

I am sorry you were a victim on your cruise. There are about 3000 of those room safes at the resort where I work. They are easy to open, so don't count on them to hold truly valuable items. I really doubt a crew member was involved in the theft. I have seen passengers walking down the hall stick their heads into open doors. These are the ones I would be suspicious they are looking for valuables in plain sight. I do call security from the nearest phone.

Keep your cash and passport with you at all times. The rest can go in the safe, jewels, medicine, phone, etc.