Fellow Carnival Cruisers, Learn from my mistake - Use the safe for your valuables.

torromierda

We have always used it for really valuable items such as jewelry, cash, credit cards and passports. But have to admit I have stuck something in a drawer underneath clothing and such to conceal when in a hurry. Guess I will be a little more vigilant about my watch and camera though. That's scary to come back to your room and see your cabin door wide open like that, makes you think twice. Thanks to OP for giving a heads up and am truly sorry you experienced this on your cruise.

We always use the safe.

Granted, I probably shouldn't store the card to open it under the tray where the glasses sit...

We do the same thing....:o:o OP, sorry this happened to you and thank you for warning others to be extra careful. My mom always said "you learn by your mistakes." Unfortunately this is an example of that. :(

Sorry to hear about your things being stolen, not missing, but stolen.

My wife and I always use the safe for passports,cash, small valuables, etc. What always concerns me though is my camera equipment and laptop, which depending on what I am carrying can be about $7k worth of gear cannot be secured in the room.

I guess I am in the minority. I generally trust people. Why is no one saying, what would a cabin steward want travel documents. On the flip side, we ran out to breakfast not realizing I had $600 in $25 chips on the table. Lo and behold, the room was cleaned and the chips, cell phones, laptops, and camera were all there.

I guess I am in the minority. I generally trust people. Why is no one saying, what would a cabin steward want travel documents. On the flip side, we ran out to breakfast not realizing I had $600 in $25 chips on the table. Lo and behold, the room was cleaned and the chips, cell phones, laptops, and camera were all there.

Given the fact that me and the DW are not cruise-aholics (would like to be :cool:) nor spend but a few days a year in a hotel, we'll probably never have to deal with this issue. However, cash would be an easy thing to take by a cruise employee or fellow pax if the door was left open. Personal belongings would be harder for the thief to hide since a search could be done of their belongings.

Edited by rmf11699
edit

I don't know if they are any more secure than the safe, but we have a couple of cool bags that are lockable and can be secured to anything permanent with metal reinforced straps. In addition to securing your possessions when you are poolside or at the beach they can secure your possessions in your room. And a lot more will fit (eg, chromebook, camera, etc.) than will fit in a small cabin safe. We just added a 2and generation one that is lighter and even more secure.

https://www.amazon.com/CoolBag-Locking-Anti-Theft-Insulated-Compartment/dp/B01FQ19NK0

Feel a bit silly admitting it, and anticipated some responses of "Serves you right for leaving them out" but, as usual, CC people are lovely.

As you say the purpose of the post is to try to ensure no CC member gets to feel like I did that morning and, to varying degrees, for the remainder of the cruise.

Gather it up

Stow it in the Safe

Enjoy your time on board.

Sorry this happened. We always use the safe, probably a little too OCB. I put everything of value in there. Even my Kindle if it is not with me.

But as others have said, thank you for the reminder.

I had a friend do the reverse. They never used the safe but the last time they used the safe and left some valuables in it. They called carnival the next day when they got home.... Never found. No one saw it... Someone had to unlock the safe to remove it.

Personally I always use the safe

Sorry for your loss

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Don't understand why you DIDN'T use the safe!!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

As already stated. Have on every previous cruise, but previous week had been travelling in Canada staying in various AirBnBs with friends and just got into relaxed habits.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

As already stated. Have on every previous cruise, but previous week had been travelling in Canada staying in various AirBnBs with friends and just got into relaxed habits.

No need to explain yourself. You already did on your original post. Apparently that person just had to be "that guy". Thank you for the wake up call. I admit I've slacked off on security myself, and will be more cautious next time.

The one thing we always do is use the safe. It's hard to think that someone that serves you daily in your stateroom could steal from you, but you never know. Documents, passports, cash, jewelry and our wallets sometimes if we don't want to carry them always go in the safe! Better safe then sorry. Sorry you had to go through that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't bring my valuable jewelry with me anymore. I had a very valuable and sentimental piece stolen my last cruise. It broke my heart. We always put passports, phones, cameras and cash in the safe. I didn't think someone would rummage through my belongings and steal my necklace. Most of my jewelry was inexpensive.

Question for the OP - was your folder transparent, could the cash be seen easily? Or did the thief have to physically open the folder to see the cash? Not that it matters in the end, theft is theft, but I'm curious. I'm usually very careful with putting obvious stuff in the safe, but now I'll be more thoughtful with even just my paperwork.

One of my greatest joys about cruising is NOT having to carry a purse except in ports. Thus, one of the first things on our agenda is emptying valuables and passports into the safe. Since we shipped a suitcase of dress clothes to the QM2 in England (we were doing 3 weeks train travel in Great Britain & Paris prior to sailing home) I learned to only take costume jewlery on any trip except for my wedding ring. I have some lovely costume pieces - which still look that way since they are only worn on trips :D

We only temporarily remove items from the safe that are actually needed during the cruise and reload my purse the last night before bed double checking that the safe is empty.