Wifi Calling on board

woopuppy

I am thinking about getting an internet package to do wifi calling home during our upcoming cruise. Does anyone know if this can be done and if it works fairly well? I don't want to waste the money if it won't work. We have 3 sea days in a row and would like to check on family on those days. Thanks!

I always get the free wifi as a perk and always use it to FaceTime audio with my kids

I use my iPad mini so I don't have the stress of worrying about Verizon charges on my iPhone even though I know I could use the iPhone and not get charged I'm much more relaxed knowing I can't be charged when using a wifi only device

I have no need to call a landline or anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are a lot of posts of people asking if they can do this and none I can find reporting that people did do it successfully. Common wisdom says that satellite connections aren't good enough for VOIP but the ship satellite connections have gotten better. Facetime or Skype can work better because you can see the person and know when they stop talking and it's your turn to talk.The visual cue is just enough to make it work. When you can't see the person and there is a little delay, it can be maddening. Good luck and please come back and tell us if you tried it and what the result was!

Assuming everybody has an I-phone is really foolish and unhelpful

Not foolish at all. However for those without iPhones/smartphones

this info should make them aware that iPhones do indeed allow you to make voice calls over wifi

I'm sure androids do as well but I don't like an android phone

I fought giving up my basic cell back in 2013 but once I realized the benefits of a smartphone I never looked back.

Anyone that travels frequently at home or abroad should just consider a smartphone a necessity

It's a new world out there. Dump your landline at home and go smartphone if $$ is your issue.

Just an FYI...regarding FaceTime and being able to see the person...well if you want to burn thru your free wifi go for it but FaceTime audio saves your free wifi from burning thru

IMHO using FaceTime video should be reserved for when you pay $$$ for unlimited wifi on the ship

Since I take wifi as the freebie I only use FaceTime audio

As a frequent traveler I also invested in an iPad mini. Best money ever spent.

Sometimes there are costs associated when one travels frequently. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a Samsung phone with Verizon and did wifi calling on the Escape this past summer without issue. Most newer phones have it. Just turn on wifi calling and then put in airplane mode.... May have to re-enable wifi after turning on airplane mode. But once turned on your cell will work just like it does on land but uses wifi instead of cell towers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Topic from just last week on this same subject: LINK

Tom

I think the search engine picks and chooses what to put up. I did search wifi calling, internet calling, and facetime but the link you shared didn't come up for me. I do search before I post a question.

I have a Samsung phone with Verizon and did wifi calling on the Escape this past summer without issue. Most newer phones have it. Just turn on wifi calling and then put in airplane mode.... May have to re-enable wifi after turning on airplane mode. But once turned on your cell will work just like it does on land but uses wifi instead of cell towers.

This is great info. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I would note that while both Android phones and iPhone have this feature, WiFi calling is also carrier dependent. Double-check that your phone+carrier supports this. (You can try enabling it anywhere you have a wifi connection to see if it works.)

I think the search engine picks and chooses what to put up. I did search wifi calling, internet calling, and facetime but the link you shared didn't come up for me. I do search before I post a question.

I was just putting that out there for further reference.

I will occasionally give the CC search feature a try - usually with limited success. I get better results with a focused Google search, such as "site:boards.cruisecritic.com wifi calling", or with as many/few search terms as desired. You may already be aware of this technique.

Tom

• 4 years later...
On 10/25/2017 at 11:16 AM, Cyclops32 said:

Do you know what package you had when you were onboard and able to do this?

46 minutes ago, Svas said:

You might go find a more recent topic to dig up from the archives, the person you quoted hasn't posted since 2018, and the message you quoted was from a year before that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Svas said:

I started reading this thread, then realized it was from 2017. Cruise Critic sure has a way of resurrecting old posts, ha! 

Anyway - to answer your question in April we had several important calls we needed to take while on the cruise. We purchased the Unlimited - Streaming package and had no issue whatsoever with the phone calls using Wi-Fi calling. We were on the Getaway and it was a full sailing. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

As long as you 1) have the WiFi package and 2) turn on WiFi calling, you can make phone calls as usual.  Without WiFi calling turned on, you can call via FaceTime, or fb, Skype etc. instead. ( again as long as you have WiFi itself).