Top Shelf Liquor (Cheers)

Bsbllmom

I was on the carnival breeze two weeks ago and I ordered a sex on the beach at the red frog pub. I asked for the bartender to use Belvedere instead of absolut. He told me that was not allowed. I had the cheers package. I told him just switch the vodkas and he told me no. He made me the drink without vodka, and then gave me a shot of belvedere and told me I had to pour it in myself.

Is this right?

We'll have Cheers in Jan. I fully admit to usually drinking the FrooFroo girly cocktails. Next time, I'm going to try some things I never have before, like Hennessy. I've been reading on various websites the different liquor brands & cost per shot. Aside from asking for top shelf in my daiquiris, I fully plan to drink "the good stuff". Esp. tequila. I used to could drink Jose gold straight from the bottle. Just the thought of that gives me the chills now, lol.

Way I see it, we paid for it, & follow the rules. I see zero issue asking for better quality booze.

I was on the carnival breeze two weeks ago and I ordered a sex on the beach at the red frog pub. I asked for the bartender to use Belvedere instead of absolut. He told me that was not allowed. I had the cheers package. I told him just switch the vodkas and he told me no. He made me the drink without vodka, and then gave me a shot of belvedere and told me I had to pour it in myself.

Is this right?

why would you waste the Belvedere? No way you tell the difference, just to "get your moneys worth" it's not a contest. Right or wrong, I completely agree with the bartender, although he is probably wrong

It wasn't the passengers that raised the limit from $10 (or was it $12) to $50. Sounds like Carnival is actually inviting people to move up a shelf or two.

That being said....I am usually against going top shelf and then mixing it with the super-sweet mixers or, with whiskey, even with soda. Not an abuse of the system, but just treating good liquor poorly. :) Take advantage of the ability to go top shelf and drink them in a classic cocktail or just over ice.

But to OP, just ask the bartender, "what's your best brand for this drink?" Sometimes, the most expensive isn't the best for that particular drink. I have never seen a bartender be anything but helpful when asked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my cruise last week I was drinking 16 year old single malt aberfeldy with coke. There's nothing wrong with drinking liquor the way you like it. All my drinks were made with top shelf liquor, its not only a taste difference but also the hangover factor the next day, we drank pretty heavily all week and didn't have the slightest hangover all week long

Ironically, this trend of putting top shelf liquor in mixed drinks mostly came from Bars and Restaurants trying to think of a reason to charge you $3-5 more for that mixed drink you are about to order.

I agree that top end alcohol is best enjoyed straight, but hey, if they are on cheers, let them try it once. If they see that they can't taste the difference in a mixed drink, they can then feel good about saving money back on land where they are paying for the drinks by opting out of the high end stuff in mixed drinks, or maybe they will appreciate the "good" stuff straight. That is even better.

On my cruise last week I was drinking 16 year old single malt aberfeldy with coke. There's nothing wrong with drinking liquor the way you like it. All my drinks were made with top shelf liquor, its not only a taste difference but also the hangover factor the next day, we drank pretty heavily all week and didn't have the slightest hangover all week long

I totally agree. The hangover factor is huge for me. Some people may say the is no difference in Tito's and Absolute when using a mixer but my headache would disagree.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

I totally agree. The hangover factor is huge for me. Some people may say the is no difference in Tito's and Absolute when using a mixer but my headache would disagree.

Right! I think that's something that is totally overlooked by people on their "high horse" ITT. I also don't care what people say, you CAN taste the difference between top shelf and regular booze even if it's mixed.

Your millage may vary, of course. Personally, i have found that the key to avoiding a hangover isn't what grade of alcohol I drink, it is how much other liquid (water works best for me) I drink the same night, and how soon I sleep after drinking ends. If I drink plenty of water after a night of drinking adn stay up a bit, I never have a hangover. If I fall asleep right after drinking and don't drink any extra water, watch out the next morning.

But it may well work different for you. If expensive alcohol is the only way you can avoid a hangover, then I agree it is worth it, but for me, water and time is enough.

Ironically, this trend of putting top shelf liquor in mixed drinks mostly came from Bars and Restaurants trying to think of a reason to charge you $3-5 more for that mixed drink you are about to order.

I agree that top end alcohol is best enjoyed straight, but hey, if they are on cheers, let them try it once. If they see that they can't taste the difference in a mixed drink, they can then feel good about saving money back on land where they are paying for the drinks by opting out of the high end stuff in mixed drinks, or maybe they will appreciate the "good" stuff straight. That is even better.

Except in a truly classic cocktail.

The perfect "sidecar" is Hennessy VSOP cognac and Cointreau plus fresh lemon juice. Bars will often use well brandy and triple sec. Even with fresh lemon vs some citrus mix, that cheap concoction will never taste like the real thing.

Even with expensive booze, there's differences: Hendricks gin in a martini should get cucumber slice and not olive(s), which are better suited to brands like Bombay Sapphire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

why would you waste the Belvedere? No way you tell the difference, just to "get your moneys worth" it's not a contest. Right or wrong, I completely agree with the bartender, although he is probably wrong

Belvedere seems to go down a bit smoother. It might all be in my head, but I prefer Belvedere when I drink vodka.

Besides I had the drink package and I felt like I should be able to order what I wanted. I wasn't asking him to change the drink. It was literally just substituting plain absolute for plain Belvedere. I was really taken back when he refused to do it.

please stop, you are asking for a Cheers price increase or reducing the limit on the top shelf. Putting Red Bull in a $50 bottle of Vodka is a total waste, I guarantee, you could use Absolute and not tell the difference. If you are going to order VX, make it a martini or on the rocks, so you can actually tell the difference

I fear you are wasting your breathe. Pretentiousness is widespread. The same folks probably use gourmet EVOO to saute.

.... Can I ask for these "top shelf" spirits in frozen concoctions? I found that they wouldn't let us have a "floater" on our last cruise with Cheers without an extra cost, would at least like to get a more tasty drink....

Rum? What would I ask for? And does (whatever you answer with) have a light AND a dark to choose from?

I personally ask for Cruzan rum. Not top shelf, but it is what I like best in frozen drinks.

I appreciate all the answers on this thread as I am clueless but like Cheers. So, for an Appletini or Cosmo, should I request anything special?

Exactly. Why shouldn't people try out something new? When else do you have the chance? It's like ordering escargot or beef tongue in the dining room. You might not like it or end up eating much of it, but give it a try and see what you think. Carnival raised the limit. They are a very successful company. I'm certain they took all options into account.

I personally ask for Cruzan rum. Not top shelf, but it is what I like best in frozen drinks.

I appreciate all the answers on this thread as I am clueless but like Cheers. So, for an Appletini or Cosmo, should I request anything special?

100% real cranberry juice in a Cosmo with fresh lime juice, Cointreau and Ketel One Citron vodka. Add muddled ginger for an interesting/delicious modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Surely, you’re kidding (if you want better spirits or wine)!

I'm a fan of schnapps but I wasn't sure if there were a better alternative that I wasn't aware of to use in mixed drinks. I've had friends sub peach Vodka or peach puree but taste wise idk if it equated to a ~better quality~ cocktail. So I figured I would ask!

11 hours ago, Firsttimecrzr said:

@Flatbush Flyer

Are there any better alternatives to peach schnapps available? Also is it possible to get frozen rose onboard?

TIA!

Well, there’s Peachtree, DeKuyper and Phillips as far as I am aware. I’ve never noticed a difference myself. I also have never seen a frozen rose but that might be ship dependent. (Or I wasn’t paying attention.) 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Well, there’s Peachtree, DeKuyper and Phillips as far as I am aware. I’ve never noticed a difference myself. I also have never seen a frozen rose but that might be ship dependent. (Or I wasn’t paying attention.) 

None of that “rot gut” would be considered “top shelf.” I suggest that the OP try a true “top shelf” cocktail with just a hint of citrus to it: a true Side Car (Cognac, Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice in a 2/1/1 mix). 

• Thanks 1