Best way to communicate with a large group while on ship?

Lazz

We have 20 people (maybe more) going on a HAL cruise. Our cabins are pretty much scattered over the whole ship. What is the best way for us to stay in contact while on board ship? I am a long time cruiser who likes to lock my cell phone in the safe until after the cruise is over, and I never buy any internet packages. However, I am willing to change this practice if something like texting is the best method. Thanks for your help.

I would think that texting could run up quite a bill. How about a bulletin board outside the most centrally located cabin? Or if you're on a ship that has Lido pool cabanas, rent one of those for a bulletin board location.

Most of our group is well-traveled and do not overplan things.

All that we ever do is have a place (usually aft Lido deck, outside) where we eat breakfast. Everyone who wants to shows up (this is very fluid), eats, chats, etc...talks over what to do today.

If it is a port day, same procedure, but excursion plans are discussed, where to meet (on the dock), what time to meet, etc.

Suppertime we all eat together (MDR) to review the day, plan the evening, discuss possible things for tomorrow.

So, we don't do things in lockstep...unless everyone wants to do the same thing. :cool:

All cabins have voice mail. I don't know if the system is sophisticated enough for the ship to program "group messaging". If not, in advance, put together and distribute a list of all names/cabin numbers. If needed, you can call the cabin of key members of your party who are responsible to notify others. It's old fashioned, but planning never goes obsolete.

We were in a group of 18 one time and used a telephone tree to communicate (pre-texting era). You probably have already decided on some events for everyone, so make sure the group knows about these events before the ship sails. Having a "meet and greet" at sail-away to discuss how you are going to communicate going forward would help, plus it gets everyone into a "vacation mood".

We were in a group of 18 one time and used a telephone tree to communicate (pre-texting era). You probably have already decided on some events for everyone, so make sure the group knows about these events before the ship sails. Having a "meet and greet" at sail-away to discuss how you are going to communicate going forward would help, plus it gets everyone into a "vacation mood".

Telephones in cabins hav e voi ce mail. :)

Prior to smart phone and texting, people woud slide notes undercabin doors or into mail box at cabin. they made plans in advance :" meet you in Ocean Bar at 8:00 or what3ver". We did a number of resort vacations in Caribbean a number off years in a row and our group of 18-20 managed to learn routine of those they wanted to see unscheduled an d worked fine. We knew who was likely tto bew at the pool by whatever time, how many of us went to early break fast. et And with a very rare exception, we all wentr to dinner ar same restaurant each evening. Wonderful fun and greatr memories.

Edited by sail7seas

Telephones in cabins hav e voi ce mail. :)

If you do have excursions or specialty dinners pre-booked, make up and distribute a spreadsheet of who is attending each.

A spread sheet works great. :) ;)

It can really simplify things for all sizes of groups. I've been known to use the odd one ;p:')

A spread sheet works great. :) ;)

It can really simplify things for all sizes of groups. I've been known to use the odd one ;p:')

Seriously? A spread sheet? Do some peoople actually plan evvery day?, every plae they will go, evverything they will do far enough in advvcance foere you to have them on a pread ssheet? No sspur o the moment? No, I'm no sure a week ahedd what I will want to do? and what time I'll want to do it. :eek: I'd go nuts with so much regimentation. :D

Seriously? A spread sheet? Do some peoople actually plan evvery day?, every plae they will go, evverything they will do far enough in advvcance foere you to have them on a pread ssheet?
No. I said if you have some things pre-booked put them on a spread sheet. Not a "schedule" in any way.

It's difficult to say what plan will work best for you. Considering the size of your group, some will have iPhones, other Androids. Different service providers. One size probably won't fit all. FWIW, verizon charges 50 cents for texts sent and 5 cents for texts received on a cruise ship.

No. I said if you have some things pre-booked put them on a spread sheet. Not a "schedule" in any way.

exactly, it's not a schedule, but just a planner for things you plan to do together :)

We have a group of 8 going on 11/11 and we downloaded a walkie talkie app called Zello. You can even make a group. As I haven’t gone on my cruise yet, I’m not sure how reliable it is, but I live in Florida and we downloaded it ahead of the hurricane as suggested. I’ve used it with my friends in Ohio (while in Florida) and it has worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a group of 8 going on 11/11 and we downloaded a walkie talkie app called Zello. You can even make a group. As I haven’t gone on my cruise yet, I’m not sure how reliable it is, but I live in Florida and we downloaded it ahead of the hurricane as suggested. I’ve used it with my friends in Ohio (while in Florida) and it has worked.

Do you need cell phone service for Zello to work?

As I haven’t gone on my cruise yet, ...
Better find out what the charges will be for using it on a ship before you rack up a big bill. :)

It has to. The only other possibility would be wifi. Direct phone-to-phone like a radio would not have the range to call OH from FL.

edit: wikipedia says "It works over 2G, 4G, 3G and GPRS/EDGE networks."

Edited by catl331

I don’t think so. The point of using it during the hurricane was if your cell service wasn’t actually working, you could still communicate.

If you guys cruise after me I will report back.

We were on a cruise this summer and there were 32 of us! We used the Carnival messaging plan- it cost $5 for the entire cruise. It helped keep everyone up to date on meeting for shows etc. I'm sure most cruise lines have something like that.

We were on a cruise this summer and there were 32 of us! We used the Carnival messaging plan- it cost $5 for the entire cruise. It helped keep everyone up to date on meeting for shows etc. I'm sure most cruise lines have something like that.

Hmmm - don't be too sure. I haven't seen this plan on HAL on any of my cruises. Neither in the "On Locations", "When are Where", "navigator" nor when I sign into internet use. Nothing like that offered ever that I have seen.

Has anyone seen it on HAL?