Deck 8 cabins on a Viking Ocean ship: noisy?

CarpeDiem2

39 minutes ago, Emptynesters38 said:

We are about to  book a two week tour in Suite 8001 on the Sky.  Any input on that room? The only other Penthouse Junior Suite is a PS3 which is $800 less but is on Floor 6 near the elevators in the bow. Any advice?

Have a read through this thread .. post 24 gives 8001 the thumbs up. We have been in 8019  - at the end of the hallway - three times and love the location.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emptynesters38 said:

We are about to  book a two week tour in Suite 8001 on the Sky.  Any input on that room? The only other Penthouse Junior Suite is a PS3 which is $800 less but is on Floor 6 near the elevators in the bow. Any advice?

Since the only differences between a Deck 8 - PS 1 cabin and a Deck 6 - PS 3 cabin are location and price, it becomes a matter of what is the most important thing to you. Having sailed on several cruises with Viking in both PS 3s (6019 and 6023) and a PS 1 (8007), we can offer some insight on this matter.

The 2 cabins on Deck 6 were on the elevator/stairwell lobby. We had no problems with noise once our cabin door was closed and truthfully the area was always very quite. The traffic volume was low since there are only 2 elevators there and anyone getting on or off would be going to or coming from their cabin.  The only thing forward towards the bow was the ship's bridge and we never saw any of the ship's crew in the passageway.

Others have spoken to the benefits of PS 1 cabins on Deck 8, so your decision is up to your personal tastes and preferences. Hope this will help.

Senior Gators

• Thanks 1

I believe the PS staterooms 6020 and 6021 are the handicapped accessible rooms.  The furniture and storage configurations differ in those rooms.  Same square footage, but the layout was different enough that you might want to be sure it is what you want if that is what they are offering you.

2 hours ago, X-IO1 said:

I believe the PS staterooms 6020 and 6021 are the handicapped accessible rooms.  The furniture and storage configurations differ in those rooms.  Same square footage, but the layout was different enough that you might want to be sure it is what you want if that is what they are offering you.

X-101,

We can confirm what you have stated about the configuration of 6020 and 6021.  They are the only 2 handicapped accessible staterooms on the ship.  There are substantial changes to both the room and bathroom to make them truly accessible.

On one cruise we were booking, due to limited availability for PS 3s, we made reservations for 6020, but after seeing detailed pictures and floor plan we changed our reservations to an available PS 1 on Deck 8 and paid the difference. We checked out the accommodations while we were on the cruise and confirmed that we had made the right decision.

Senior Gators 

Can't comment on noise in Dk 8 cabins, but on the Viking Sun, we currently have a few pax on higher decks that wish they were on lower decks, due to the movement.

Since departing L/A, we have experienced many lively days, especially around the Cat 3 Cyclone in the Pacific and crossing the Tasman Sea. Hobart to Sydney will also be uncomfortable in the higher deck cabins, especially at the extreme ends.

Depending on the itinerary, you may want to consider ship movement, when selecting a cabin location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/26/2019 at 2:59 AM, millybess said:

We stayed in 8001 in July for the Baltic Cruise on Sky.  The "secret door" is wonderful isn't it?  It's as though the top floor of the Explorer's Lounge is part of your living room.  We have 2 cruises coming up and we have booked 8001 for both.

You are right that it is surprisingly stable for a high forward cabin.  I have a tendency towards motion sickness and we were more than a little concerned after booking our first ocean cruise (again, July)  But I never felt even a bit nauseous.  Of course, it could have been the Meclizine.  😊

Having to change our Baltic cruise to June 2022 we have the choice to book a DV1 both deck 7 and 8 are available.

I am worried about getting seasick! When we did the Amazon cruise we where on deck 3 and I was fine except one night going back into open seas.

There are two DV1 cabins left at the back of the ship 3096 and 3096.

I am so confused to what to do!!! Help 

Edited by Rabbit27

My wife and I rode out a fringe of Hurricane Lorenzo in the Bay of Biscay, and the upper decks were rocking and rolling. The bow was cutting through the waves, up, then down.

Our stateroom was on 4 deck, toward the middle, and it was much more placid.  As long as you didn't look out and see the waves crashing on the verandah

Good times!

On the 20WC we tangled with 3 TRS and a deep low, which caused some rockin' & rollin' We had a young couple up on Dk 8, who never ventured out of the cabin when the ship was moving.

If you are concerned with motion sickness, Dk 7 & 8 cabins are not a good choice. The aft section also experiences movement, if the ship is pitching.

Least movement is midships on a lower deck.

• Like 1

We have been on cruises on decks 4,5,7, and 8.  Noise is rarely a problem on any deck or in any particular area.  We have only experienced annoying noise from "door slammers" and those happen anywhere, anytime!  We loved deck 7 and it's proximity to the explorers lounge, wintergarden, etc. and 8 was nice, although a rough day or night at sea will be far more "noticeable" on the higher decks.  

We really like deck 8.  The Explorers Lounge at one end and the outdoors at the other end.  We found it bright and airy.  We have booked a back to back cruise in November (fingers crossed) and on one leg of the trip we couldn’t get a PS so we booked a DV1 on deck 8 and are looking forward to trying it out.  If the DV hadn’t been available on 8, we definitely would have chosen deck 7.

As far as motion sickness is concerned, as you quoted me above, Meclizine was the answer for me.  I came armed with everything — patches, ginger gum, Dramamine, etc., etc.  But I took the advice of another poster on here who said to start Meclizine the day before travel and that has worked for me and I have never needed anything else.  We travelled through some very rough seas in the Baltic and the Caribbean and it didn’t effect me at all.  Before our first cruise I was really concerned that we had chosen the wrong deck and I was very nervous about how it was going to end up.

Maybe it’s just luck (hope not!), so you might want to stick with the advice of others here who have far more cruising experience than us.  I’m sure you will enjoy your adventure with Viking no matter what you choose.

Edited by millybess
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/29/2017 at 11:30 AM, tubeamps said:

We were in 8017, never heard any noise from above. We liked the easy access to the sun deck and Explorers Lounge.

We were in that room as well; we really like it, although we DID hear shuffleboard players from time to time. Took me the longest time to figure out what the noise was when a bad player thwacked the puck and it hit a wall...

Navigation is a little different because deck 8 doesn't continue across the entire length of the ship, meaning we learned to go down to a lower deck, then traverse to the stern of the ship. But that notwithstanding, I'd book the same room again in a heartbeat; views from up there were fantastic.

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, Rabbit27 said:

Please explain secret door comment. We are booked for 8001 but was told by on line Viking chat that there was no access to lounge from 8 th floor which was very disappointing

6 hours ago, Slce123 said:

Please explain secret door comment. We are booked for 8001 but was told by on line Viking chat that there was no access to lounge from 8 th floor which was very disappointing

Secret door is right next to your room. 
Convenient access to EL, but you have to climb up or down the stairs to get to the bar level, a problem for me when carrying drinks.

We were in 8003 with no sound issues.

Thank you so much. One more question if you know, when we booked room we were not told it was handicapped. And all discussions say only two handicaps are on 6 th floor but in my reservation next to my room number is now a handicap symbol.  Any knowledge if this 8001 is or is not handicapped?

6 hours ago, Slce123 said:

On Mars in May. Continue towards the lounge along the corridor and there is a closed door on the right taking you straight to Explorer lounge.  The only sound we heard during the day was from the banging of the shuttle board on the games deck above. 

Edited by Pushka

Thanks for the info. We will be on Orion next week in 8004. I had thought we could get into the Explorer's lounge from that hallway and assume it isn't a busy thoroughfare. Hope we like the cabin as we booked it for next year's 3 week European trip. I hadn't thought of trying to get through the doors with drinks...hmmm maybe need to rethink that.

8 hours ago, Slce123 said:

Our agent on the phone booked us into 8001.  I did not check the reviews until later.  Google that cabin number.   

What I found were complaints about the large fire door right next to your cabin door slamming when pax went through it, pretty much shaking everything in your cabin.   Also, when pax are on the outside stairwell, they can see right into your balcony.  

I called back and had her move us down to deck 7.  

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

Our agent on the phone booked us into 8001.  I did not check the reviews until later.  Google that cabin number.   

What I found were complaints about the large fire door right next to your cabin door slamming when pax went through it, pretty much shaking everything in your cabin.   Also, when pax are on the outside stairwell, they can see right into your balcony.  

I called back and had her move us down to deck 7.  

There are only 10 cabins on the 8001 corridor, and absolutely no advantage for anyone else to use that corridor, so the use of the door is very infrequent.

• Like 1