NCL Escape - Success in upgrading free 250 internet minutes to unlimited?

pokerpro5

I have read several threads here regarding upgrading the 250 minute internet "offer" to unlimited.

It seems to vary from ship to ship.

Some will let you simply pay the retail price difference (obviously the best).

Some will give you like $40 credit toward an unlimited internet package purchase (okay).

Some will outright refuse to upgrade you, and you have to buy an unlimited package at full price if you want it.

Any experience with this on the Escape, especially in 2017?

If so, do you remember the name of the internet manager who authorized it?

I'm interested as well. If allowed,,, how would it work if the new "media" plans are implemented fleetwide. We are on the Escape next Summer and was hoping to be allowed to upgrade as they are not doing minutes any longer.

I have read several threads here regarding upgrading the 250 minute internet "offer" to unlimited.

It seems to vary from ship to ship.

Some will let you simply pay the retail price difference (obviously the best).

Some will give you like $40 credit toward an unlimited internet package purchase (okay).

Some will outright refuse to upgrade you, and you have to buy an unlimited package at full price if you want it.

Any experience with this on the Escape, especially in 2017?

If so, do you remember the name of the internet manager who authorized it?

I successfully did this after we boarded (Escape) the first of last month - the infamous IRMA sailing. It was taken care of by the Haven concierge, and there were no questions/issues. I paid something like $125 (ballpark) to upgrade for the 7 days. That charge did come through on my account, though the cruise ended up being cut short by 2 days. I never bothered to ask for a prorated refund... :)

Tom

Upgraded my 250 on Escape to premium "fast" unlimited for $125.

Great success!

Internet manager Ninoslav did it.

Sign in first, then sign out, then go down to Internet cafe when it's open (it opens at 4 on embarkation day) and have Ninoslav upgrade.

Upgraded my 250 on Escape to premium "fast" unlimited for $125.

Great success!

Internet manager Ninoslav did it.

Sign in first, then sign out, then go down to Internet cafe when it's open (it opens at 4 on embarkation day) and have Ninoslav upgrade.

Is that for 1 device? Or is that for everyone in the room?

Ok I probably am only person who is confused. So I am not in suite or haven just interior room. So I go on Board and in baby steps whAt do I do to get internet (wifi) on phone for messenger facebook Viber and whats app . Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok I probably am only person who is confused. So I am not in suite or haven just interior room. So I go on Board and in baby steps whAt do I do to get internet (wifi) on phone for messenger facebook Viber and whats app . Thanks for reading

Once onboard, connect to ship”s Wi-Fi (the ship’s name in the CID)

Register your phone (name, birthdate, cabin number)

Select internet plan.

Login and off each time you use the internet.

Really simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Connect to the SSID that has the ship's name in it.

Open your web browser. You have to use a browser first, no matter what.

Visit login.com

Follow the instructions there to login.

When you are done, use the browser again to visit logout.com

If you have Windows 10, you can use more than one device simultaneously.

Just sign into your computer and start the internet connection with the ship.

Then click on the wifi bars on the bottom right, and then click Mobile Hotspot.

Then right click and go to Settings to set up a password.

Then you will see it pop up for other devices as a possible connection, just use the password you set, and there you go.

Computer must be on and connected to the internet for this to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all -

I was happy to read this until I tried calling the haven concierge and was told no credit would be provided if I purchased the unlimited internet package. I'd have to pay for it in full and the 250 minutes would be wasted. She did try to convince me that buying an extra package at full price would be worth it because we could use the internet on two devices at the same time but we don't really need it simultaneously.

She said it can't be done in advance, nor on board, and she put me on hold while checking with a supervisor.

Any advice/thoughts from those who have been successful? We will be in the Epic haven if the ship makes a difference. Thanks!

Hi all -

I was happy to read this until I tried calling the haven concierge and was told no credit would be provided if I purchased the unlimited internet package. I'd have to pay for it in full and the 250 minutes would be wasted. She did try to convince me that buying an extra package at full price would be worth it because we could use the internet on two devices at the same time but we don't really need it simultaneously.

She said it can't be done in advance, nor on board, and she put me on hold while checking with a supervisor.

Any advice/thoughts from those who have been successful? We will be in the Epic haven if the ship makes a difference. Thanks!

So,,,, this is like calling the bakery for pharmacy advice. You need to go to the internet manager once onboard to get your credit. The internet is not run by NCL. There is a third party vendor that operates the service.

So,,,, this is like calling the bakery for pharmacy advice. You need to go to the internet manager once onboard to get your credit. The internet is not run by NCL. There is a third party vendor that operates the service.

This is correct. Don't bother with the concierge.

Go directly to the internet manager.

There is some ship-to-ship variance on what they do, but if the Epic internet manager refuses, tell them that they are currently doing this on the Escape, and tell them to contact the Escape's internet manager to verify.

If you have a Windows machine, you can also use two devices at the same time by using the "broadcast" feature of Windows 10. Just click on the Wifi symbol at the bottom right, then click on "Mobile Hotspot". (Right click on Mobile Hotspot to set it up the first time). Once it turns blue, it's on, and you can connect another device to your laptop.

This WORKED for me on the Escape, as well.

Ah, I hadn't caught the nuance that it's a third party vendor. The NCL agent said she couldn't help nor could it be done on board so I was concerned. She was quite adamant about it and argued that I should not believe everything I read on cruisecritic! Oh well, she must have been having a bad day. Thanks for clarifying BirdTravels - I will sort out onboard.

There is some ship-to-ship variance on what they do, but if the Epic internet manager refuses, tell them that they are currently doing this on the Escape, and tell them to contact the Escape's internet manager to verify.

If you have a Windows machine, you can also use two devices at the same time by using the "broadcast" feature of Windows 10. Just click on the Wifi symbol at the bottom right, then click on "Mobile Hotspot". (Right click on Mobile Hotspot to set it up the first time). Once it turns blue, it's on, and you can connect another device to your laptop.

Thanks Pokerpro5, I will sort out onboard with the internet manager, and the advice to refer to the Escape manager if need be is brilliant. And thank you also for the steps on using two devices - this is our first trip sans kids (who could figure this stuff out for me), so I am definitely printing out your response! .

I can attest that Adrian, The Haven Concierge on the Escape will take care of upgrading you. He did it for us last Saturday. He said to sign in and set up the 250 minutes plan and he'd send an e-mail to the Internet Manager. It was set up before we sailed. $120 upcharge.

Thanks Pokerpro5, I will sort out onboard with the internet manager, and the advice to refer to the Escape manager if need be is brilliant. And thank you also for the steps on using two devices - this is our first trip sans kids (who could figure this stuff out for me), so I am definitely printing out your response! .

I don't know that the Epic internet manager will care much as to "how they do it" on the Escape. It's worth a shot though!

Tom

If you have Windows 10, you can use more than one device simultaneously.

Just sign into your computer and start the internet connection with the ship.

Then click on the wifi bars on the bottom right, and then click Mobile Hotspot.

Then right click and go to Settings to set up a password.

Then you will see it pop up for other devices as a possible connection, just use the password you set, and there you go.

Computer must be on and connected to the internet for this to work.

I knew this was an option but figured they would block the ability somehow. Or they would catch me doing that and disable my internet all together. lol

• 4 weeks later...

I promised to report back from the Epic and it took me a little longer due the Christmas rush when we got back. But, I'm happy to report it was quite easy to upgrade to unlimited internet from the free internet perk. The Epic Haven concierge said he could do it or we could see the internet manager ourselves. We had the concierge do it and within a few hours it was done. Cost us an additional $85.

However, I will say the internet on the Epic was incredibly slow, and kept kicking me off. So much so that I did visit the internet manager. He noted I was able to log on, which was true, but I couldn't visit the sites I needed to. And, they were not streaming sites like netflix, just everyday links. He suggested I stand in the hallway or wherever I see a router on the ceiling - that did work a bit better but I felt a bit silly standing in the hallway. It was much worse on sea days. We've always taken the unlimited package and this was the first time it was so bad that I thought it wasn't worth it. We were unable to keep in touch as we needed to, nor was my husband able to check on work. Unfortunately, we aren't able to disconnect completely on vacation due to elderly parents, and my husband's ability to check in for less than an hour a day, saves for a stressful return. It's what works for us.

But at least the upgrade part was easy, and they seemed to find it a routine request.

I promised to report back from the Epic and it took me a little longer due the Christmas rush when we got back. But, I'm happy to report it was quite easy to upgrade to unlimited internet from the free internet perk. The Epic Haven concierge said he could do it or we could see the internet manager ourselves. We had the concierge do it and within a few hours it was done. Cost us an additional $85.

However, I will say the internet on the Epic was incredibly slow, and kept kicking me off. So much so that I did visit the internet manager. He noted I was able to log on, which was true, but I couldn't visit the sites I needed to. And, they were not streaming sites like netflix, just everyday links. He suggested I stand in the hallway or wherever I see a router on the ceiling - that did work a bit better but I felt a bit silly standing in the hallway. It was much worse on sea days. We've always taken the unlimited package and this was the first time it was so bad that I thought it wasn't worth it. We were unable to keep in touch as we needed to, nor was my husband able to check on work. Unfortunately, we aren't able to disconnect completely on vacation due to elderly parents, and my husband's ability to check in for less than an hour a day, saves for a stressful return. It's what works for us.

But at least the upgrade part was easy, and they seemed to find it a routine request.

Thanks for reporting back. I might try to do the upgrade in March on the Escape.