Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

So. Back to the trip planning...

Helsinki looked much less interesting from the guidebook. So that's out. Stockholm - maybe.

I found a ton of stuff that we'd like to do within an hour's train ride of Paris. Or if we don't want to go anywhere, we can entertain ourselves very well there.

Or, what about Brussels? Moules et frites avec la bière, anyone?

I'm saving Amsterdam for September.

I also think that mysty is right.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

It's Paris then JP. Your decision re Helsinki is sound.

If you stay at the Crown Plaza Republique (it is a few feet from the metro - and it use to be a Holiday Inn - get an inwards facing room/suite and it's quiet), then across the road at Republique is Leon de Bruxelles.

All types of moules and as much as you want of fries. To be honest it is much better than any moules you'll get in Brussels and you'll have Paris. There is also a British comedy club if it hasn't gone bust .... owned by another ex-dj just a few hundred yards away. It's a short walk from Marais if you fancy some chop liver, scmaltz herring and bagels. As you know, I use to play records in Paris on a Saturday and had a French girlfriend and have family there so I know enough to lead you and Chris astray, though I don't think you need me!

https://www.crowneplaza.com/hotels/gb/en/paris/pardl/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki.sp.nd.ct&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qIta=99603195&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=20&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99603195&dp=true

crowne-plaza-paris-republique.jpg

d95b37e9_z.jpg

leon-de-bruxelles-paris-1321967591.jpg

https://restaurants.leon-de-bruxelles.fr/fr

https://www.leon-de-bruxelles.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Carte_Leon_Hiver_FR_Z2.pdf

and dont't forget a visit to Paris isn't complete without a visit to La Coupole for some fruits de mer

http://www.lacoupole-paris.com/en/menus/

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

JP, We enjoyed Stockholm very much during a summer visit in 2016. There are many interesting options. We stayed at the Victory Hotel in Gamla Stan (the old part). Check it out. It was reasonable, very small and spreads over several old buildings. Apparently each room is very different. Ours was on the top floor and very unusual, but extremely comfortable with an excellent modern bathroom and very comfortable bed. It was one of their king rooms. We called it the "****** Suite" as the huge bathroom had 2 clawfoot tubs side by side! It also had a separate walk-in shower. The included breakfast was great and the location was super for walking the old town. In the same building is a restaurant, Bakficken Djuret. I just looked it up and it's concept has changed slightly. At the time, they served only one type of meat each month and used it in EVERY course in some way. Now I see they have added fish to the concept somehow. All of their food is locally sourced and they base the menu on what is available. It was an amazing meal. Although I wouldn't want to do it every day, it was delicious. Reservations are a must, and hard to come by. I emailed directly as the booking mechanism did not show any availability.

Greeting All.....

Jeffers....why do you have us all racking our mathematical brains.....😉Can't be doing with it and all these laws of average.....although l do have to agree that disagreeable folk do tend to seek me out in an empty lounge and plonk down right by me....but, on one occasion in the Virgin clubhouse LHR the old veteran Joe Brown did so which was quite pleasant.....

JP....decisions abound! Paris sounds perfect...I'm ashamed to say I've never been...😔

Bitterly cold here in Wales today....I've been out delivering the final Christmas cards to the neighbours but so glad to get back into the warmth......the last of the Alsace is going down well as my lunch cooks....only a ready meal today but l have chips to accompany.......maybe beans on toast tomorrow before l attack all the good offerings of the Silver Spirit on Sunday....😜

Happy Day 😊

Good Afternoon All,

I always chuckle when I hear "Virgin Clubhouse" as I'm never certain of the entry criteria but do doubt I'll ever qualify .......

Todays was bbq Welsh lamb and some final veggies for wifey before our self-abuse safari. Safe and joyful travels on Saturday Soapy.

24990e2b1e67d2d510afa7ec1102868c.jpg

e9835da1d3211b9f66212917169c212d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings Coolers!

JP...thanks for the vote of confidence! :) Whatever you choose as a destination I am very sure you and Chris will have an awesome time! You seem to accomplish that everywhere you go. I think your joyous attitude towards life plays a big part in that!

Miss S. it sounds like Paris should be on your bucket list. :) We went for the first time in 1981. Myster was there on business and I got to tag along. We were very lucky to have Myster's business contact (a Parisian) as our guide. He took us to a number of excellent restaurants and at one of them a fellow diner was Janet Leigh. Quite a thrill for this country bumpkin! :) Cruise departure is quickly approaching. Enjoy and savour the adventure!

J...the lamb looks delish! Your safari is also quickly approaching. Hope it is the magical time you are looking for! Maybe you could leave us with a question to ponder over in the darkened Cooler Bar while you and Miss S are off having adventures. Those of us left behind can sip our "usual" and contemplate. :)

Spins....I hope you are feeling better!

Have a great day all!

The green one certainly threw a monkey wrench into the calculation of odds. Just a concrete demonstration that life is full of surprises and you never really know what you will find around the next corner (or within the next bag of candy). Life is like a box of chocolates! :)

Have a wonderful time Cam! Savour the moments!

J....the really interesting thing for me in the second article you provided a link for is that the videos have been identified and traced to the locations and dates where the events occurred. None of them happened in the UK (or in the US for that matter). One was shot this year in the Netherlands. One was shot in 2013 in Syria. One was shot in 2013 in Alexandria, Egypt. Fake news anyone? And yes, I recognize that I should not be reading articles related to tweets or re-tweets. And yes, hypocritical of me! :( Mea Culpa!

Safe travels Cams.

M, The one with the two youths in Holland has been tracked back to the person that uploaded it. It was two Dutch lads speaking in Dutch. Neither were either Muslims or foreign born.

The US women who first retweeted it and who it seems Trump sourced for the retweet was confronted last night on a BBC news programme and even in the face of the clear evidence wouldn't accept that it was fake news and the two lads were Dutch, and she continues to insist that evidently the evidence that it was she says was faked as a part of a big conspiracy. The filmed fighting had been fully investigated at the time by the Dutch police and no charges brought.

The woman's tweet that Trump retweeted is currently being prosecuted in the UK for race hate crimes, and she has now asked Trump to intercede on her behalf feeling that as he is clearly a supporter of her and her "party" he should do.

Instead of Trump simply saying "Mea culpa ..... the point I intended to make is still relevant but the proof I offered to support my concerns was fake and I am sorry. I should have thought first, checked it out more fully, taken more care, and I apologise for any offence I caused." That would have taken most of the steam and heat out of the issue and he would have won some browny points for showing some sensible contrition. Instead he has stuck that irritating jaw out and been rude to those that were affronted by his stupidity and for increasing the dangers and hatred we are all sharing.

The issue as I said in yesterdays exchanges is not now his original tweet, but it is what a danger he represents because of his lack of thinking before acting and then in the face of over-whelming evidence that he is wrong his failure and obstinacy in simply acknowledging it so all can move on. That is what is most alarming. Heap on that today's name calling and provocations re "Little Rocket Man" and it is bewildering to think about how long this can go on for before something awful happens or he is removed.

Hopefully it will not come to that! However, it appears that the US and Canada have held joint exercises simulating nuclear attack on both sides of the border. Not comforting as we live in the nation's capital!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/joint-military-exercises-nuclear-threat-1.4424556

If Trump is removed Mike Pence comes into play. Not sure this would be an improvement. But maybe Pence would not use Twitter!

Thanks M,

What with all the travels and comings and goings recently, footfall in the Cooler has been sparser than normal. Perhaps we should offer a really meaty Happy Hour to hear more of Coolers gossip.

Envious of Cams and her Cuban meal .... and hopefully Soapy will report back on Saturday's travel excitement. And where will JP and Chris go? . I must admit I'm also looking forward to tasting oz gin on Monday - I've heard it's really good - and just hope I exercise more self-control than I currently wish.

Where's the fun in exercising control on your vacation adventure J? :) It will be quiet here. Time for some contemplation perhaps? Navel gazing? We who are left behind will tend the bar, dust the bar stools, sweep up the peanut shells and keep the place ship shape.

Greetings Coolers,

Off to Tampa tomorrow. Looking forward to family and to the superb restaurant Columbia in Ybor City. The decor, ambiance , and excellent Cuban food beckons me. Will share comments at some point. Keep well.

Hi Cam:)...we have a Columbia near me in St Augustine..........I LOVE IT too:D...haven't eaten there in a long time.

Enjoy!

Evening All.......24 hr countdown has arrived! Emirates chauffeur service have called to confirm pick up so god willing l should be enjoying a pre flight glass of fizz in the lounge this time tomorrow 🥂

Yummy food pics from our regular in house chefs......wishing Cam a lovely time in Tampa....

Mysty I'm sure will do a good job keeping the cooler alive, kicking and clean while some of us sample the delights of travel.....😉

Down side is taking furry boy to his holiday home tomorrow morning so we are having a cuddly sofa night in the warm while outside freezes!

Up side is having breakfast with DD at our local garden centre once we've delivered him safely to pooch nanny.

Safe travels to Vienna Jeffers and enjoy all those goodies you've been looking forward to....

Happy Weekend 😊