Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Good evening Coolers

Yes posts about boars and boors both on-board and on boards if you get my drift.

Mike, the days of everything being straight forward are long gone. It doesn't seem that long ago when I arrived at Heathrow and I realised I had forgot my passport and was allowed to travel around Europe on my corporate photo ID card. Technically all non-international airports don't need the same levels as the international hubs. Hence your undoing.

I'm getting old, and the trip to Vienna was knackering largely I guess my fault because I hadn't gone to bed for two nights. BA mixed fleet were delightful even asking me if we'd like to fill our boots with some miniatures for the stay. But I had pre organised a litre of Brandy ...

Piccies, Unimportant and the square root of nothing .....

412c026a939b43543da0251adf21ddb8.jpg

73a259683b423858135d902614173dd0.jpg

d1b15949d9be2b2c32bc0594f1e982ea.jpg

b4fed91b54fcd4ceff012b5f12ce53aa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Boors onboard: We met a recent widower, in his 80’s, from Texas on our summer ‘17 cruise in the Baltics. He was so overbearing, not just to us, but in particular to the lovely female guides. He was making sexual overtures to these young ladies right in front of us! I was appalled and disgusted. By the end of the trip he seemed very lonely and depressed, confessing that it was probably NOT a good idea to go cruising solo so soon after his wife’s passing.

So envious of J in Vienna. The only place where you can get the 2 greatest ever gifts to the sweet-toothed - Sachertorte and Schwarzwaeldertorte (yes, I know it's German but the Oesterreichers are just the best cakemakers in the world. Full stop!).

I see from his pictures that the Youth Hostel accommodation is getting better these days.

Regarding the ‘boorish’ people, I once sailed with a lad who thought he was the bees knees but he was brought down to earth with a bump after trying to impress a young lady by asking for a “Scotch on the rocks ....... no ice”

That's a neat story. :p

Good Evening all. Thanks all. TTS, they ups sachertorte and it arrives in three days. It's worthwhile and we do it once or twice a year....

How does that work? As a Sachertorte fan I need to know.

Where we lived in Germany there was a Konditorei owned by a Frau Decker that not only did the best Black Forest gateau you'll find anywhere, she also had impeccable Sachertorte. It was so hard to choose which to have with my coffee that I often had both

But real Sachertorte? Do tell how to acquire.

Hi TTS,

You probably know the story. The man Sacher was a chef at the Imperial Hotel Vienna when he made the cake which was called "Imperial Torte". He then moved to the hotel Sacher and called the cake "Sachertorte" . The imperial believes there's is the original and better. It has a single layer of apricot jam under the choc. The Sachertorte has the apricot jam in the middle. Both sell directly via courier too the uk and it is cash well spent.

Research that is worthwhile.

https://shop.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-torte

https://www.imperialtorte.com

I have also tried Betty'. Not Sachertorte but a decent choccy cake.

https://www.bettys.co.uk/grand-cru-chocolate-sachertorte-large

Mrs Claudia Sacher, one of his grandchildren we know quite well, as she has some appartments in very central Vienna we use to use several times a year on long stays pre-Intercontinental.

Just to complicate things Demel is possibly the best .... wifey's favourite and less dry.

https://www.demel.com/en/online-shop/cakes-and-bakeries/

Brilliant. Size 3 on its way. Thanks for the links.

Betty's is very good - our nearest town in N Yorkshire, Northallerton, has one - but I've yet to try their torte. Next time we are there I shall give it a try. It is a very popular cafe (they have branches in York, Harrogate, Ilkley too) but the prices would make a lottery winner cry. My favourite when we go back is their Yorkshire Curd Tart accompanied by a hot mocha. In fact their Mocha is so good that we've been known to have one when we go into town, then another before leaving. Yummy.

I've also got a bottle of Tokaji waiting for a special occasion - I think the arrival of the Torte may be just the excuse I need.

Incidentally, if you get the opportunity to try a big fat Kirschrolle in a good Konditorei, you won't be disappointed. Heart attack on a plate but soooo nice!

Edited by Tothesunset

G'Day from the Spirit in the UAE. The ship isn't quite full but lots of first timers on board....some very grumpy!! One 11 month old baby who's a little beauty and no trouble. Two groups of travel agents who are quite noisy thankfully only on for three days!!

Service and food excellent as usual with the restaurant being most popular for dinner.

No shoe man on board this time!

The emirates experience was a dream from start to finish very well organised.

First formal last night brought out some beautifully dressed ladies.

Great to see Jeffers enjoying Vienna!

Also 👍for TTS getting the bargain flights!

Haven't ventured ashore yet, too busy chillaxing!!

Pardon the scratchy post, trying to master the iPhone!!

Thanks M for passing greetings on

Happy Day😊

Hi friends:) Good morning, or afternoon, wherever you may be..........Sophia, have a wonderful cruise:)

Jeff, one day I want to visit Vienna:) have a great time.

Hi to everyone else....I haven't posted too much lately... Hope all is well.

Good afternoon Coolers,

TTs ... yes along way since the bunks at the YHA ... Soapy so pleased to here you are ensconced. JP, you really must make Vienna a trip in it's own right. M, your place has been saved at the temporary cooler bars I have around Vienna. Love to all.

Lovely note for the manager today with a couple of complimentary champers in the bar ....

I'm sorry for the lack of words and the shambolic piccies but the technology is Frances De la Tour ... my Sony cam chatting to the ipad and up.oading and chatting vis tapawalallah. Forgive me my lack of finnesse.

I don't normally do brekkies but I had a sprinkling this morning.

0ff87358ce8437a20f6b5fb17f088a4b.jpg

534eb33db49b6f5b81df4dfcd39ada64.jpg

601fc4ea78fb9a9f5d569a300a0220a9.jpg

57dca11ca2c29940b29954162dab2ee3.jpg

12d9f1a24cbc434e0578085a073ecee5.jpg

299f3a57414c3fc90fe279edc6b51c7c.jpg

Off to MartinSepp for the buffet . This is in Grinzing a wine growing area on the ouside edge of Vienna but only 20 minutes on the 38 tram .... soup, pork, knodel, salad, pots and very firy fresh kren (horseradish) and heurige wine in a mug

7d121ae97af088b2a5dbc5e7e0c46bc5.jpg

ad27d44e56780825cb379e11a45602d4.jpg

8f9025b5e966a0926b691a52593d9034.jpg

76232f3d44d08c655f909db80ea0de3b.jpg

1e0b9dff50e005dcca8f5f7e236b1f16.jpg

d6782b2ebcfc8987986e9007c595e9f0.jpg

Greetings Coolers!

Miss S. sorry to hear about the grumps. Can't really fathom being grumpy while on a lovely cruise! Hopefully they will realize their good fortune and start smiling instead!

Lois..nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you.

J....Frances is doing an awesome job! I'm loving the pics! Thanks for saving a place for me. I feel like I am with you in spirit if not in spirits. The Market seems very quiet and a little chilly judging by the parkas in evidence. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Have a great day all!