Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Greetings Coolers!

Maybe you could leave us with a question to ponder over in the darkened Cooler Bar while you and Miss S are off having adventures. Those of us left behind can sip our "usual" and contemplate. :)

Have a great day all!

If you don't need a pee in deceit, why do you need a pee in receipt?

:confused:

And now the question just got a little more difficult! Some in depth research may be required here. I've been wondering why "despite" is pronounced differently than "respite". We'll work on this while you sip or guzzle your way through the markets. :)

So was I for a very long time! Until I was corrected. A wee bit embarrassing at the time. :(

despite - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/despite

respite - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/respite

Note that the UK pronunciation is different from the US pronunciation for respite but exactly the same for despite. It seems Canadians use the US version for respite. I was using the UK version.

Greetings Coolers!

Thanks MLeh! I now have a much better appreciation for the "weirdness" of the English language! :) I learned to read by sight recognition of words, not phonetically. When I hit a word I don't recognize I am stopped in my tracks. Not sure how kids learn to read these days.

Bon voyage to the lovely Miss S. Safe travels and have an awesome adventure!

Have a great day all!

Good Morning All,

Yes M, Sophia will be well on her way ..... sucking the corks out of the wine bottles and glugging away ....

If you are interested in vicarious Christmas Marketing ... there are three fully controllable web cams at Rathause so you can fight with people for control .... zoom in and out and there are presets etc ...

http://webcam.anw.at/

Today was scampi ...

7cd09b51e7bd3eb2d06177eaae889d50.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Afternoon All......

Many thanks for the good wishes.....Miss S is currently relaxing with a very nice drop of brandy.....don't ask me why but l always drink Brandy when flying 🙄

Chauffeur due at 4pm but one is all ready for the orf!

Just had to 'up' my baggage allowance.....to be safe from any hassle at check in...Emirates are a bit tight with their allowance compared to BA and Virgin.....ah well..😀

J...the scampi look delectable! And the Markets are definitely buzzing! I see small gaps in the crowd. I think they're holding your place for you! :)

A brandy send-off Miss S. Delightful! Smart move with the baggage allowance issue! Smooth sailing!

Just had a look at tonight's dinner offerings....parsnip soup with apple creme fraiche or duck salad followed by beef cobbler with cheese scone, trout or buryiani chicken...various scrummy desserts and cheese.....might be a bit late for me to dine but l may give the cobbler a go....😜

Have a wonderful cruise, Miss Sophia! I certainly did. The weather was perfect, the food was especially good, fellow cruisers were great...especially the TTS's. Unfortunately, I was not able to tell them farewell at the airport. I had one little problem on the cruise...thanks to Donald Trump! I was dining in La Terrazza on one of the formal nights, by myself. A man two tables down from me started swearing at me and calling me a Stupid American because of my Stupid President. I finally told him that I was Canadian.....he just kept it up. Finally, I was seated at another table. I reported it to the Hotel Manager but the guy continued to drink too much and bother folks the rest of the cruise. So many of my fellow passengers spoke to me regarding the incident. On a positive note, I certainly met a number of wonderful people!

Welcome back to the Cooler Penny! We have been sitting on the edges of our seats waiting for you! So very sorry that you were harassed by the extremely obnoxious poor-excuse-for-a-human-being! Is there no brig on SS? There should be one for people such as this jerk!

Penny, welcome back! We had a fellow on our cruise who was a bit of a social misfit... And either blissfully unaware of it, or totally didn't care. He'd come insert himself into any group and just butt into the conversation like a bull in a china shop, as if we were eagerly awaiting his input. One day Chris and I were chatting with Hans Peter and he walked up and totally interrupted our conversation to the point where we just stepped away. He was absolutely oblivious to social cues that his intrusion was impolite and not particularly welcome.

And the more he drank, the more he did this, of course. Not to the point that you describe, certainly, but we definitely tried to avoid him, but that's difficult given that Explorer is a small ship. By the end of the cruise we all knew him and it was a running joke as to who he'd be bugging at any given time...is it your turn tonight? No, it's your turn! Oh well...I think he was more of a emotionally stunted kind of guy who tried too hard to fit in, than a true boor, but it still was a bit of a pain.

Hi, Penny, and welcome back. We were getting worried when you hadn't been on the forum for a few days. Phew.

I'm sure our Hispanic friends from the Wind are kind, gentle folk who transform into total A holes in the presence of Monopole blue label.

The ''Farewell to Barbados'' tour was a bit of a con, I think. Originally lunch was scheduled for the Crane Beach Resort but became the Sunbury plantation and therefore something of a scrum considering that every other cruise ship passenger within 500 miles seemed to be there too.

Anyway, we didn't need to say farewell as this is just a pause before conjoining our travelling once again on 2019 Wind crossing to London. I see, incidentally, that the Ireland stop at Cork has been changed to Waterford. I'm not sure whether I'm pleased - never been to Waterford - or disappointed because, given the choice, I'd move to Cork tomorrow.

One thing we noticed when we returned is that our bathroom scales seem to be over-reading by about 7 lbs. Can't explain it.

I think we need to get a bit better organised for 2019 - one dinner together was not enough. Must do better next time. It's surprising how seldom, especially on a small ship like the wind, you bump into people. Weird. Or maybe you saw us coming and hid? That I could inderstand ;-).

Hope all well when you got home and no cartel members waiting to blame you for Trump.

Penny, welcome back! We had a fellow on our cruise who was a bit of a social misfit... And either blissfully unaware of it, or totally didn't care. He'd come insert himself into any group and just butt into the conversation like a bull in a china shop, as if we were eagerly awaiting his input. One day Chris and I were chatting with Hans Peter and he walked up and totally interrupted our conversation to the point where we just stepped away. He was absolutely oblivious to social cues that his intrusion was impolite and not particularly welcome.

And the more he drank, the more he did this, of course. Not to the point that you describe, certainly, but we definitely tried to avoid him, but that's difficult given that Explorer is a small ship. By the end of the cruise we all knew him and it was a running joke as to who he'd be bugging at any given time...is it your turn tonight? No, it's your turn! Oh well...I think he was more of a emotionally stunted kind of guy who tried too hard to fit in, than a true boor, but it still was a bit of a pain.

Phew. Until you mentioned the Explorer I thought you were talking about me!