anyone had a flat iron steak on the ship

csoud68

Yup yup. The key is not going past medium rare.

Yes and the link I posted this morning is a quick read that explains why folks can get a tough one and what the butcher needs to do correctly to ensure you get a tender steak. Re-reading the comments makes me doubt anyone took a look but not everyone who reads a thread posts to it so I hope some folks were helped with this thread. Hats off to the OP for asking a good question.

I tried it this past January on Fasinacion. Medium rare. It had the texture of liver , yuk. Another diner at our table also had one ...she raved over it. It all depends on your taste. We BBQ year round at home...even in snow storms. We have steak once a week, so I don't usually order it when I am out. The good thing about ordering it on a cruise, if you don't like it, and you're still hungry you can get something else.

A bunch of times, it's my go to if nothing else on the menu grabs my eye that evening. Order it a grilled level lower than you prefer, I've found them to come out a tiny bit over-grilled so going a level down should have the steak right where you prefer it.

DH & DS ordered it different times on Elation. One Med rare, the other Med. Both were perfectly cooked. My DS said it's one of the best steaks he's ever had. I tasted it & thought it was decent. My advice, is the less grill time the better, but I like all my steaks Med rare. Try it. If you don't like it, get something else.

I'm not a steak or steakhouse person but I think it's pretty dang good. I would never order it with my father present because he says it's an inferior cut and knows a lot about meat and cattle. On my last cruise though, my friend whose family also has a cattle operation tried it one night and loved it. My uncle is a picky eater and literally orders it every night (to my father's chagrine which is why I don't get it hahaha).

My father gets one every night in the MDR (plus something else - so if he doesn't like his "something else" he has his steak).

35089790661_7e5bbeabf4_c.jpg

It looks like your father enjoyed his "something else" too because he got some on his shirt. :D

He knows how to enjoy mealtime on cruises that's for sure.

I know I am in the minority here but I like my steak well done... I know I know, it kills my husband and father in-law when I get it well done. However every steak I have had well done on carnival has been very good, nice and juicy and tender. We have done 7 carnival Cruise and I have done steak at least once or twice in reach cruise. My husband likes his medium rare and he always enjoyed his as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

My husband is a very picky eater and has a flat iron steak on nights that he doesn't have a taste for other dishes. He likes his steak well done and never has a complaint about the steak on the cruise. Quite often, he will have a steak and another entree for dinner. As picky an eater as he is, he raves about the food in the mdr. He is very hard to please and we eat out often. That says a lot about the food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums