Drink Packages for a light drinker and heavy drinker

So last year on our first cruise, my boyfriend racked up a high amount of drinks on the cruise account and I not so much, I can see that RCI requires both people in same room to purchase a package but to me it's not worth it if Im paying less than 100$ and him around 500$ or more. Is there anything to that can be done to where hes getting the package and benefits and Im not wasting my money?

Buy him a drink card. I’ve seen them offered in the Cruise Compass you may be able to purchase one prior to the cruise.

I've not seen a drink card available pre-cruise. Though there are probably exceptions, Royal usually makes drink cards available in the last half of the cruise.

If you have some medical reason that you cannot drink, you can supposedly get an exception to the rule that requires you to get a package.

I had a good experience with this. My wife is can't drink for medical reasons. I booked a package for myself for our cruise in February at full price long before the new rules went into effect.

Less than a week after they went into effect, Cruise Planner had a discounted package available but the system would not let me book it. I called up, and told the agent the situation. No questions asked, it took just a couple of minutes to cancel the full price package and book the discounted package.

I now have my discounted Deluxe Package and my wife has her discounted Replenish Package. Actually now that I think about it, I saved almost enough on my package to pay for hers. That was a worthwhile 2 minute phone call.:D

I just called RC regarding this last night. Told them I don't drink except for an occasional glass of wine for medical reasons. I was told that I could buy just one drink package for my husband if I got a non-alcoholic drink package. We're still debating what we plan to do.

I am consistently befuddled by the high propensity for heavy drinkers to wind up with partners who can’t drink for medical reasons (or those who are “light drinkers”).

Even more strange is the questions on how to get the heavy drinker their drinks at a discount (skirting the terms of the beverage package offer) so the light/non drinker doesn’t pay for what they won’t consume.

It is one of life’s little mysteries that will never be explained.