Casual dinner attire... first time cruiser.

tppeach

I'll preface this by sating we have't only been on 3 Carnival cruises but I have yet to see anyone wearing a wife beater on any night on the MDR and I can count on one hand the number of adults wearing t-shirts. Some people just like to over-state and make it seem like Carnival is full of people dressed like this.

Inappropriate in the MDR or buffet at ANY time of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll preface this by sating we have't only been on 3 Carnival cruises but I have yet to see anyone wearing a wife beater on any night on the MDR and I can count on one hand the number of adults wearing t-shirts. Some people just like to over-state and make it seem like Carnival is full of people dressed like this.
It steams me up that some people exploit the trusting nature of forum readers to apparently promote some judgemental agenda, by overstating the extent of, and manner of, violations.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

On Oceania.

Cruising on Carnival from California it becomes even more casual. I've seen it all in the MDR on 3-day cruises. No bathing suits, though....yet.

You may want to point that out to "declansdad" who seems to think folks don't wear inappropriate clothing in Carnival MDRs.

BTW, beyond normally accepted decorum (anywhere) for what should be considered "fine dining," there are the stated Carnival dress code specifics, which are being violated (at least we now know, on booze cruises out of SoCal, per the post above).

You may want to point that out to "declansdad" who seems to think folks don't wear inappropriate clothing in Carnival MDRs.

BTW, beyond normally accepted decorum (anywhere) for what should be considered "fine dining," there are the stated Carnival dress code specifics, which are being violated (at least we now know, on booze cruises out of SoCal, per the post above).

Yes they are everywhere, t-shirts, wife beaters, basketball shorts, robes, bathing suits...they are everywhere on Carnival.

Yes they are everywhere, t-shirts, wife beaters, basketball shorts, robes, bathing suits...they are everywhere on Carnival.

Certainly not everywhere. Many, very civilized and terrific folks sail on Carnival. Conversely, there are some real butt heads on premium lines.

My secondary point in this thread (beyond remarking about decorum), is that mass market lines have an impossible task in trying (and failing) to please everybody.

Let's face it, for many folks, mass market lines are an economic thing. Definitely was for us many years ago.

LOL

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Certainly not everywhere. Many, very civilized and terrific folks sail on Carnival. Conversely, there are some real butt heads on premium lines.

My secondary point in this thread (beyond remarking about decorum), is that mass market lines have an impossible task in trying (and failing) to please everybody.

Let's face it, for many folks, mass market lines are an economic thing. Definitely was for us many years ago.

When was the last time you sailed with Carnival?

When was the last time you sailed with Carnival?

Once we could avoid Carnival (and NCL and RCI) based on some in-depth research and comparative math, we moved to the premium cruise segment.

It amazes me that so many folks lose out on quality because they won't do their homework.

Ever aspired to shop at Nordstrom's but though you couldn't afford it? Well, please know that Nordstrom will match anyone's advertised price. They just don't advertise it.

Blows me away that folks skip the premium cruise lines because they're looking for value and never do the math.

Once we could avoid Carnival (and NCL and RCI) based on some in-depth research and comparative math, we moved to the premium cruise segment.

It amazes me that so many folks lose out on quality because they won't do their homework.

Ever aspired to shop at Nordstrom's but though you couldn't afford it? Well, please know that Nordstrom will match anyone's advertised price. They just don't advertise it.

Blows me away that folks skip the premium cruise lines because they're looking for value and never do the math.

We have no problem cruising with Carnival, quite happy with the product.

So I'm guessing you haven't cruised with Carnival for awhile now yet you feel you can comment about what people wear in the MDRs, interesting.

We have no problem cruising with Carnival, quite happy with the product.

So I'm guessing you haven't cruised with Carnival for awhile now yet you feel you can comment about what people wear in the MDRs, interesting.

Yes it has been a while. But, we have neighbors who have had more recent experience and they assure us that not much has changed. However, we have different needs and preferences and Carnival works well for them.

I've price-shopped with Azamara, Crystal and Oceania. O is on the bottom of the list. I'll cruise a luxury line before O as it's the better value.

How yo can say that with a straight face is beyond me.

Azamara is a reasonable comparative value to Oceania. But, at its CEO often states: Azamara is about overnights in ports while Oceania is about food. A very accurate observation. Crystal is a great cruise line. But, add some available options to Azamara or Oceania and you'll easily have the same product as Crystal at a far lower "net daily rate" charge.

Not when I look. O is the same price as Crystal on comparable cruises in comparable cabins yet O isn't all inclusive. It's way overpriced, imo.

I retire soon and I'll be on Crystal as my retirement cruise. I'll let you know then what it's like. :D

From personal experience, I can tell you that Crystal is a terrific product. However, it sounds like you're making that rookie mistake of comparing cabin prices instead of "net daily rate." Last time I checked, Crystal cabin fares do not include airfare or air credit ($1500 to $2000 +\- per person depending on destination) while O fares do. If I somehow have made an error, please excuse me. However, whenever I've looked at comparative sailings, O has always been the better value.

Have you guys ever thought that people with plenty of money might enjoy relaxed comfortable low key products??

We enjoy Carnival! We are low key folks who could spend much more for higher priced luxury cruises but they don't appeal to us.

We are not "Klampetts" nor do we appreciate the assumptions made that lower priced =low class or even that less formal clothing=low class.

I suppose you guys have never experienced high priced luxury spas like the Golden Door where you can spend entire days in your bathrobe and no one would say a word against you! If only people would just answer simple questions about packing /dressing without any of the added rude remarks it would be a breath of fresh air and at least a sign of manners!

Have you guys ever thought that people with plenty of money might enjoy relaxed comfortable low key products??

We enjoy Carnival! We are low key folks who could spend much more for higher priced luxury cruises but they don't appeal to us.

We are not "Klampetts" nor do we appreciate the assumptions made that lower priced =low class or even that less formal clothing=low class.

I suppose you guys have never experienced high priced luxury spas like the Golden Door where you can spend entire days in your bathrobe and no one would say a word against you! If only people would just answer simple questions about packing /dressing without any of the added rude remarks it would be a breath of fresh air and at least a sign of manners!

I don't see how you come away from this discussion believing that anyone is saying low price = low class. Rather what quite a few of us are saying is that the great variance in means/preferences/experience of Carnival passengers makes that cruise line's attempt to be everything to everybody unworkable.

BTW, Golden Door serves a far more homogeneous clientele than does Carnival. Thus, it is a bad comparison for the whole "appropriate dress" conversation.

Yes it has been a while. But, we have neighbors who have had more recent experience and they assure us that not much has changed. However, we have different needs and preferences and Carnival works well for them.

It's good that you have neighbours who can keep you abreast of Carnival. It allows you to to keep giving advice about a cruise line you freely admit you don't cruise with.

Well said.

It's good that you have neighbours who can keep you abreast of Carnival. It allows you to to keep giving advice about a cruise line you freely admit you don't cruise with.

And it gives YOU a chance to generalize across an entire cruise line's fleet though you may not have experienced every one of its ships.

Reality check: many comments on CC are based on a combination of first hand experience (new and/or old) along with input from someone's trusted sources. Even then, some other comments are unfounded, outright lies by trolls. The list goes on....

Not unlike Yelp or Trip Advisor, everything on CC should be taken with "a grain of salt."

That said, please be reminded that it is a significant number of self-proclaimed "loyal" (for whatever reason) Carnival sailors who report that they are consistently unhappy with the slovenly dress habits of some of their fellow passengers at mealtime on one or more Carnival ships.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I'm looking at O's cruise fare only prices. Crystal is sometimes less expensive. It sometimes comes out $25pp/pd more, but for all-inclusive, that's a steal.

Crystal is not as "all inclusive" as you may think. Again, there's the airfare issue and do look at the limitations on some of their "inclusive" items.

We fly on points, so airfare typically becomes a non-issue. I don't drink at all and DH is a wine kind of guy. I know you love Oceania and it would make you happy if everyone enjoyed it as much as you. Maybe someday, if the price really jumped out at me, I'd give it a try. For now, Crystal is the luxury line on my radar and that's the one I want to try first.

Sorry but, perhaps you don't understand "air credit." If you don't want the air, the O Life price is reduced by the value of the O air. For example, a $8000 fare for an 18 day transatlantic may be reduced by as much as $2000 if you choose to do the air yourself.

It's not that we "love" O. Rather, it usually meets all of our preferences at a price we can afford. In the very near future, we will take a young granddaughter on a Disney cruise because that will better meet our needs in that situation.

Reality check: many comments on CC are based on a combination of first hand experience (new and/or old) along with input from someone's trusted sources. Even then, some other comments are unfounded, outright lies by trolls.

That's one reason why I now use tripAdvisor, video-sharing sites, and social media services to validate/corroborate/debunk as much as I can. You get a different set of perspectives from different sources, and with videos you actually get to see things with your own eyes. It is too easy for written comments to exaggerate how good something is or how bad something is, and for one source to tilt too far toward a certain set of biases. I think it is better to rely on multiple sources for information, with at least one source being one where you can "see with your own eyes".

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Edited by bUU

And it gives YOU a chance to generalize across an entire cruise line's fleet though you may not have experienced every one of its ships.

Reality check: many comments on CC are based on a combination of first hand experience (new and/or old) along with input from someone's trusted sources. Even then, some other comments are unfounded, outright lies by trolls. The list goes on....

Not unlike Yelp or Trip Advisor, everything on CC should be taken with "a grain of salt."

That said, please be reminded that it is a significant number of self-proclaimed "loyal" (for whatever reason) Carnival sailors who report that they are consistently unhappy with the slovenly dress habits of some of their fellow passengers at mealtime on one or more Carnival ships.

Well you are right about the trolls comment, they show up in a lot of threads.

That's one reason why I now use tripAdvisor, video-sharing sites, and social media services to validate/corroborate/debunk as much as I can. You get a different set of perspectives from different sources, and with videos you actually get to see things with your own eyes. It is too easy for written comments to exaggerate how good something is or how bad something is, and for one source to tilt too far toward a certain set of biases. I think it is better to rely on multiple sources for information, with at least one source being one where you can "see with your own eyes".

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I have been telling people for years if you want to see what's really going on, check Instagram with your ships name.

I have worn shorts and t shirts and my berks on casual nights. On the last cruise i was on i even wore a polo, shorts and berks on elegant night. Never was questioned or looked sideways at. How people are dressed shouldn't affect others dining experience.