Casual dinner attire... first time cruiser.

tppeach

Really??? We are platinum on Carnival and DH wears his Kentucky Derby t shirts to the MDR all the time!

He doesn't wear them on "elegant night" but otherwise you can wear what you like!!

Where did you guys get the idea that you cannot wear t shirts into the MDR on Carnival?????

Really??? We are platinum on Carnival and DH wears his Kentucky Derby t shirts to the MDR all the time!

He doesn't wear them on "elegant night" but otherwise you can wear what you like!!

Where did you guys get the idea that you cannot wear t shirts into the MDR on Carnival?????

Perhaps s/he got it from experience on a cruise line that expects decorum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny but I just asked this same question on other cruise lines(HAL and Princess) and their dress codes are stricter.

Or the posters on those forums want you to think so.

Holland America's casual dress code doesn't explicitly prohibit t-shirts. Rather, it explicitly excludes men wearing tank tops. There are a number of women's tees that would work well. I'm not sure I would feel that way about any men's t-shirts but again only tank tops are explicitly banned.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Or the posters on those forums want you to think so.

Holland America's casual dress code doesn't explicitly prohibit t-shirts. Rather, it explicitly excludes men wearing tank tops. There are a number of women's tees that would work well. I'm not sure I would feel that way about any men's t-shirts but again only tank tops are explicitly banned.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Show up to a Holland America dining room in a Kentucky Derby t-shirt and watch the maitre d ask you to go change. While written dress codes can only provide guidelines (ripe for wordsmiths to dissect like like a medical examiner during an autopsy) some lines actually do expect their guests to dress accordingly - and they do.

You can tell who hasdecorum and who doesn't. The latter is just more commonplace and embraced on Carnival. That's what makes it so appealing.

Show up to a Holland America dining room in a Kentucky Derby t-shirt and watch the maitre d ask you to go change.
Yet I see people complaining that the maître d' isn't enforcing the dress code the way some people would want them to.

"Hmmmm."

While written dress codes can only provide guidelines (ripe for wordsmiths to dissect like like a medical examiner during an autopsy) some lines actually do expect their guests to dress accordingly - and they do.
Yet, the complaints clearly show that sometimes "accordingly" is what you mean by it, here; sometimes it is not. And despite over a decade of such complaints, the cruise lines still elect to leave the matter open to the discretion of each maître d' making the decision in the moment.

"Hmmmm."

You can tell who hasdecorum and who doesn't.
That may be the crux of the matter: Is the cruise line's primary goal "decorum" or "hospitality"?

"Hmmmm."

Thanks for all the replies...I'm a first timer and was just trying to get a sense of what to pack as far as every day dinner wear. I'm a jeans and t-shirt type person but I can put on a polo or button down and a pair of slacks if need be. Thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Show up to a Holland America dining room in a Kentucky Derby t-shirt and watch the maitre d ask you to go change. While written dress codes can only provide guidelines (ripe for wordsmiths to dissect like like a medical examiner during an autopsy) some lines actually do expect their guests to dress accordingly - and they do.

You can tell who hasdecorum and who doesn't. The latter is just more commonplace and embraced on Carnival. That's what makes it so appealing.

Well, that certainly wouldn't be Carnival!

Decorum has nothing to do with the way you are dressed.

That may be the crux of the matter: Is the cruise line's primary goal "decorum" or "hospitality"?

"Hmmmm."

We sail both CCL and HAL - and in the past have also sailed RCCL and Cunard.

A line having more or less decorum than CCL isn't necessarily more or less hospitable....just different. It's a different vibe that suits passengers in it's niche of the cruise ship industry. What the average CCL customer wants is not necessarily what might make a HAL customer comfortable. On HAL we feel every bit as welcome and comfortable as on CCL just in a more laid back way.

Amen.

A line having more or less decorum than CCL isn't necessarily more or less hospitable....just different.
The point was that decorum does not mean respect. Like you said, it's just a "vibe"... a preference. As the target demo for a service changes, it is to be expected that the service provider will foster a different "vibe", even if they still serve a number of other customers beyond their target. What we see in these threads are proponents of the legacy "vibe" railing against the loss of primacy for their own sensibilities.

Edited by bUU

We are at about 30 cruises (we disagree on the actual number), and in all that time, I have only seen one couple turned away from the dining room completely. He had on a black leather vest, no shirt, black leather pants, black engineer boots. She had on a black leather halter top, a black skirt that made "mini" look long (as a confirmation, she had on black underwear), and she had on high-heeled thigh-high black leather boots.

Very simple. It says that on the Carnival web site. Whether they enforce it or not is another story, but the official Carnival dress code for non-formal nights does not allow T-shirts. Go look it up

Very simple. It says that on the Carnival web site. Whether they enforce it or not is another story, but the official Carnival dress code for non-formal nights does not allow T-shirts. Go look it up
When you do, you'll find this:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and
collared
polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

So, on Carnival, t-shirts are indeed not permitted in the MDR.

Oh -so wrong.

Decorum:

1. dignified propriety of behavior, speech, dress, etc.

2. the quality or state of being decorous, or exhibiting such dignified propriety; orderliness; regularity.

3. Usually, decorums. an observance or requirement of polite society.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums