Phone service

georgiB

I have unlimited data on my iPhone but a friend of mine was telling me that when the ship is out to sea not to use the phone or else I would be charged roaming fees. Is this true even if you have unlimited data? I’m going to Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by georgiB

I have unlimited data on my iPhone but a friend of mine was telling me that when the ship is out to see not to use the phone or else I would be charged roaming fees. Is this true even if you have unlimited data? I’m going to Alaska.

Generally, you can use your phone while out to sea, however you're going to be using the Cellular at Sea connections. They charge on top of whatever your own service charges.

So it can be pricey.

At port in Alaska, of course, you should be able to use your national service just like in the lower 48.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Thank you two so much. Whatever I have to do on my cell phone it will never be so important that I have to pay out rages amounts of money for it. I will wait until I get into a port.

Thank you two so much. Whatever I have to do on my cell phone it will never be so important that I have to pay out rages amounts of money for it. I will wait until I get into a port.

Don’t forget to turn to ON your phone’s airplane mode when at sea to be sure that you don’t get connected to cellular at sea. Turn it to OFF when in US port to use your phone.

I have unlimited data on my iPhone but a friend of mine was telling me that when the ship is out to sea not to use the phone or else I would be charged roaming fees. Is this true even if you have unlimited data? I’m going to Alaska.

Why do people buy cellular phones and not do their homework? Your "unlimited data" is for movement of data across land masses with cellular towers. No matter how you "slice it or dice it," there is a satellite connection needed in the open ocean and YOU will pay for that somehow.

Even if you do use "wifi calling" on newer phones, where do you think that wifi at sea is coming from? SATELLITE.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was pretty sure the answer but just kind of wanted to get everyone’s feedback on this. And Flatbush flyer thanks for being so kind and polite.

Beware using the phone in Skagway -- the nearest tower may be in Canada (If I understand it correctly).

My US-based carrier, ATT, has no problems with service in the major Alaskan ports to include Skagway and also connects while in Denali National Park.

You hav been given great advice.

When you are in Alaska you will be fine.

When you turn on the phone in port be sure you see you don't see Cellular At Sea.

Thank you I will definitely be watching for that little message.

Why do people buy cellular phones and not do their homework? Your "unlimited data" is for movement of data across land masses with cellular towers. No matter how you "slice it or dice it," there is a satellite connection needed in the open ocean and YOU will pay for that somehow.

Even if you do use "wifi calling" on newer phones, where do you think that wifi at sea is coming from? SATELLITE.

Looks like OP is doing their homework ;)