Quick review - On board Odyssey now (Caribbean)

RustyRollock

I have a suggestion for those who feel depressed about sailing in Seaboard. Take a Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruise first. Then you will appreciate Seabourn.

This is, IMHO, not a very helpful suggestion at all. This discussion is about Seabourn quality going (slightly?) downhill or not in the luxury cruise market, not about paying a lot less for lower quality.

SLSD, Thank you for your post - one of our main reasons for choosing SS next time is that they have smaller ships. We tried Encore this year but the larger ship and extra number of passengers was not for us, so I doubt that we will be trying out Ovation - or indeed Silver Muse unless there is a 'must do' itinerary.

marama, I totally respect your desire to sail on a smaller ship. That was our thought as well ahead of our last cruise. However, we really did enjoy having a few more venues and now wonder if we would like the smaller ships! I look forward to reports from the smaller ships.

Quite honestly, we could feel no difference between our previous cruise on the Silver Shadow and our recent cruise on the Encore. That may seem incredulous to some--but it is our experience. We DID enjoy the added venue of a very nice Thomas Keller Grill Bar. What a great venue.

I have some questions RustyRollock. What has the entertainment been like on your cruise? How have the excursions been--if you have taken any. If you planned private excursions, I would enjoy hearing about those as well. How was tea in the Observation Bar?

So here's another opinion: my husband and I (we're gay) have been loyal to a more mainstream cruise line (Celebrity), because "things aren't like they used to be". Quite frankly Seabourn was always out of our price range ($1000/night) even with the scads of disposable income we (gay people) supposedly have-LOL! We're looking to switch from Celebrity because of cutbacks we've noticed. Seabourn is cutting back. There really isn't any business, cruise line or other, that isn't offering less at a lower price; it's how they make money. as the saying goes, "You can never go back to the way it used to be."

I guess what is giving me pause is the number of comments on this and other SB threads about "the kind of people Seabourn is attracting" (or words to that effect). (btw - I have yet to see a SB ad targeting the gay market) I love meeting a variety of people when we cruise, that's half the fun, and using terms like "boorish" and "of that ilk" only sounds snobbish to me. I know there are attitudes like that everywhere, not just here. No, I neither want or expect belly flop and wet tee shirt contests on SB, but neither do I want to be judged based on the watch I'm wearing or the color of my cummerbund to determine whether we belong on board or not.

I'm sorry to hear people say they are depressed upon hearing how things have changed, but change is inevitable. As a former Cruise Director used to say, "Relax. It's just vacation."

We haven't attended all the evening shows either because they didn't appeal (ventriloquist) or started way too late (9.45pm+). Those we did see were a mixed bag as usual for ship entertainment, average to good. We don't expect anything different.

Excursions have been limited by the ripple offect of two recent major hurricanes in the Caribbean and the extensive damage they caused to infrastructure and commerce. Even snorkelling trips are hindered by poor visibility and reef damage. As we suspected, media reports don't cover even half the true picture. For example, much of St Thomas still has no power or safe water supply. There are a lot of people whose lives have been changed forever and, predictably, any aid that does arrive doesn't necessarily reach the people who actually need it.

Afternoon tea in the Observation Bar is unchanged but, again, service is inconsistent.

russg140, We took a September Med. cruise on the Encore and found Seabourn to be very welcoming of gay passengers. Two things: in the Herald, which is the daily listing of activities and news, there was, on several occasions, a listing for an evening LGBTQ group. Also, one of the featured speakers was half of a gay couple. He spoke twice, to great acclaim. We met two of the gay couples on our ship and spent time with them--enjoying their company immensely. So, while I haven't seen any advertisement aimed at gay passengers, I did see a welcoming attitude onboard. And SOMEWHERE (I can't remember where), I saw a written statement from Seabourn stating that they actively welcome gay passengers.

I totally agree with you about the use of words like ilk. Ilk is a word that seldom if ever has a good connotation.

Just for the record, I did not notice anyone looking at our watches (I wear a Swiss Army Watch, not a Rolex) or our clothing choices while on board. We did honor the dress codes and found that even our casual clothing was a bit more dressed up than most of the passengers. We are from Dallas and it is a fairly dressed up city in terms of casual wear. That might explain it.

So here's another opinion: my husband and I (we're gay) have been loyal to a more mainstream cruise line (Celebrity), because "things aren't like they used to be". Quite frankly Seabourn was always out of our price range ($1000/night) even with the scads of disposable income we (gay people) supposedly have-LOL! We're looking to switch from Celebrity because of cutbacks we've noticed. Seabourn is cutting back. There really isn't any business, cruise line or other, that isn't offering less at a lower price; it's how they make money. as the saying goes, "You can never go back to the way it used to be."

I guess what is giving me pause is the number of comments on this and other SB threads about "the kind of people Seabourn is attracting" (or words to that effect). (btw - I have yet to see a SB ad targeting the gay market) I love meeting a variety of people when we cruise, that's half the fun, and using terms like "boorish" and "of that ilk" only sounds snobbish to me. I know there are attitudes like that everywhere, not just here. No, I neither want or expect belly flop and wet tee shirt contests on SB, but neither do I want to be judged based on the watch I'm wearing or the color of my cummerbund to determine whether we belong on board or not.

I'm sorry to hear people say they are depressed upon hearing how things have changed, but change is inevitable. As a former Cruise Director used to say, "Relax. It's just vacation."

Take a lot of what's said on here with a pinch of salt. People who have been cruising Seabourn for many years de-sensetised to the many benefits enjoyed. Celebrity is a well regarded cruise line, I've cruised on it and friends are brand ambassadors but Seabourn is in a different league.

As for snobs & boors. It's a very brave person who tries to pull rank on a Seabourn ship because whether they advertise the fact or not there will be some very heavy hitters on board. However well off or important you consider yourself there will be people who outrank you by a country mile :)

As it is I've always found our fellow guests self deprecating, fun and easy to get on with. For some it's a once in a lifetime treat, for others just another couple of weeks away. As with any group of a few hundred people there will be a few characters but that's life.

Have I ever seen a bad plate of food on Seabourn? Yes. But by the same token I've had far more delicious meals and if anything isn't to taste a discreet word has it rushed back to the kitchen and a replacement summoned.

For what you get, especially considering cabin size & amenities (his & his sinks come standard as does a bath and separate shower), I consider Seabourn good value.

Henry :)

I am mortified to think that my saying SBN is attracting more young and gay cruisers suggests that I might regard it as a problem - we were talking about a new 'demographic', and Seabourn is, I think, attracting a more diverse group of passengers - as I suggested, a great idea as some of us 'oldies' will not be around forever. I know the cruise we were on was advertised by Atlantis, which might have accounted for the higher number of gay people on board with us - all sociable, and good company. Seabourn is a very inclusive line, the staff being equally charming to the young and old, families and LBGT people - as are the vast majority of passengers to one another.

My comments weren't directed at any one person, but scroll through some of the other threads (even one that may not be pertinent to you). Like me, you maybe surprised (shocked would be dramatic) at some people's comments. Some give the impression that when you sail Dewitt SB you're likely to run into Mr and Mrs Thurston Howell, III. LOL!

Some give the impression that when you sail Dewitt SB you're likely to run into Mr and Mrs Thurston Howell, III. LOL!

Hi Russ. Forgive me - as a humble Brit - saying: I honestly do not understand what the above sentence from your post means;p. Can you please explain. And, seriously, enjoy your cruise. You will have a great time - if you go into it with the right attitude, namely you are there to enjoy yourselves, eat good food, enjoy pleasant company and relax!

My view on the topic of “changing demographics” is that it is real but for me it has nothing to do with wealth, age, sexual orientation etc. And I do believe it is happening everywhere, just take a look around....for example, at your local upscale restaurant, when flying business/first class, shopping in high end stores, staying in fine hotels. The demographic is changing and for me it relates to a decline in common courtesy, increased entitlement, poor behaviour, how people present themselves and overt and intentional display of money (whether they have it or have the debt to evidence it). Of course these are generalizations but I see it on Seabourn and many other places. If you let it bother you, it will drive you crazy. We always avoid this “demographic” when we travel and thankfully we find many likeminded people to us on Seabourn. If we didn’t, we would not return. Same is true for any land based venue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Russ. Forgive me - as a humble Brit - saying: I honestly do not understand what the above sentence from your post means;p. Can you please explain. And, seriously, enjoy your cruise. You will have a great time - if you go into it with the right attitude, namely you are there to enjoy yourselves, eat good food, enjoy pleasant company and relax!

Not sure what a “Dewitt” is, but Thurston Howell III and his wife Lovie are famous. They are from the 1960’s tv show, Gilligan’s Island. (Before my time btw). They were the “millionaires” stranded on the deserted island with the “lower class” (I.e. Gilligan, the captain, the professor, Ginger and Maryann). He always dressed with a jacket and cravat. Google it and you will see [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sunprince, You have given the very best definition of a changing demographic that I have seen. In other words, it is a societal and cultural change--unrelated to wealth, education, and historical expectations. I agree with you that most of our fellow passengers on Seabourn were genteel and were delightful people when we met them. No obvious wealth on display, no bad manners or elitism or entitlement. I was so happy to see that.

RussG-

We've sailed on many of the major cruise lines, and boarding our fourth Seabourn cruise on Saturday. We are a gay couple having celebrated our 21st anniversary last month. We are fortunate to be able to travel frequently, and Seabourn periodically. I can't think of a resort, cruise line or any venue where we have found the degree of comfortable and fascinating (in the best SMS of the word) interaction, and have made friendships- some now extended for years- with folks on board of all ages and other 'demographics". Wear a Rolex orTimex, poloshirt or POLO shirt...as long as you don't wear jeans to dinner! :-) Overwhelmingly folks have been thoughtful, kind and relaxed on Seabourn. Just be aware... it will change you view of cruising, whether Singapore to Mumbai or RT Miami.

If that is what is meant by 'demographics', then I am delighted - sometimes my ancient Brit. brain has difficulty in understanding exactly what people mean (as in the Dewitt/Howell post).

I have noticed some of this less than mannerly behaviour on another. line recently, and in the world generally, but hardly ever on Seabourn.

You want demographics? Last night at 7pm a man showed up in the Observation Bar wearing his fluorescent green soccer kit complete with name, number and logos. Shorts of course. His female companion was in her Lycra gym gear. And no staff member said a word. It's a slippery downward slope.

The soocer strip and lycra crowd hits the Observation Bar at 19:00 and no one on Staff wants to do a thing about it?!

I hate this. Suffice it to say it would never happen on Silversea. I was on Whisper 2 weeks ago and for less, no jacket and blue jeans, such punters were turned away from the Bar.

I hope Seabourn management gets an earful about this dumbing down of the existing standard (which are - are they not?) printed in the Herald.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham