New rules on visiting Cuba

RVman

How I intrepid full are required to go back to the ship after your designated tour. There is no more people to people clause so you cannot walk on your own. How will this be enforced? Only time will tell. This is an American policy. Cubans want our money, they won’t arrest us for spending it.

For our cruise in March, to play it safe, we have a 6 hour car tour the first day, if we have to go back to the ship after, I’ll feel satisfied. The second day, we have a 3 hour food walking tour. After day one I’ll have my feet wet with what I can and can’t do and that will determine if I book a second tour for the second day.

I’m excited to hear how the cruises over the next 5 months go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I contacted the tour company we are booked with in April and this is the document they sent to me, sounds like the only way to travel with them is to make it fit into "professional research". I'm extremely confused and because of that debating cancelling. :mad:

Trump´snew rules regarding travel to Cuba

TheTreasury Department published on November 9th, 2017 new restrictions on American travel to the island andplaced dozens of military-owned hotels and shops off-limits. These are the mostimportant things you should know when planning your trip to Cuba:

1.When did you book your trip?

If youbooked your trip to Cuba before June 2017, you do not have to worry about theTrump´s announcement regarding Cuba. Just make sure you have proof when youbooked your ticket to Cuba to show it was done before the June announcement.The rules, announced in June, come into force on Nov. 9, but do not affecttravel plans already in process.

2.Key points of the restrictions:

-Under the new rules, Americans will no longer be permittedto visit Cuba on individual “people-to-people” trips. Still, there are manyways to travel legally to Cuba. People-to-people trips will still be legal, butvisitors must travel as part of an organized group, which will make travel moreexpensive.

-Americans should continue to visit, but they must pay close attention to therules, travel experts said.

-There is a long list of hotels and business in which Americans cannot staybecause of their ties with the government. Airbnbseems to be the best option at the moment for American guests traveling toCuba.

-According to a fact sheet published on Nov. 8 by the Treasury Department,individual travel will still be allowed within 12 categories, includinghumanitarian and religious travel; family visits; journalistic activity; professional research; and participation inpublic performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions.

Thosetraveling in these categories will still be able to book a flight and reserve aroom online and they will not be required to apply for a specific license.However, they should pursue the activity inCuba for which their license is granted, whether it be helping areligious group or bringing humanitarian aid, and keeprecords of their visit for the requisite five years.

3.How can Havana Journeys help with yourtrip to Cuba?

-We are a team of chauffer-guides who work privately so we are not part of thelist of business and shops that were blacklisted.

-We are based in Cuba so we are not under US jurisdiction that means we cannotorganize "individual people to people travel to Cuba" under the newrestrictions.

-We can help with organizing itineraries thatcomply with "professional research" which is one of the possibilitiesof individual travel to Cuba. See the description below please:

Whatconstitutes generally authorized travel-related transactions for “professionalresearch”in Cuba?

OFAChas issued an expanded general license that incorporates prior specific licensingpolicy and authorizes, subject to conditions, travel-related transactions andother transactions that are directly incident to professional research in Cuba.

Amongother things, this general license authorizes, subject to conditions,professional research in Cuba relating to atraveler’s profession, professionalbackground, or area of expertise. In accordance with the NSPM, OFAC isamending this general license to exclude from the authorization directfinancial transactions with entities and sub entities identified on the StateDepartment’s Cuba Restricted List.

Thetraveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation inexcess of that consistent with a full-time schedule. An entire group does notqualify for the general license merely because some members of the groupqualify individually.

Werecommend reading the full article:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

How I intrepid full are required to go back to the ship after your designated tour. There is no more people to people clause so you cannot walk on your own. How will this be enforced? Only time will tell. This is an American policy. Cubans want our money, they won’t arrest us for spending it.

For our cruise in March, to play it safe, we have a 6 hour car tour the first day, if we have to go back to the ship after, I’ll feel satisfied. The second day, we have a 3 hour food walking tour. After day one I’ll have my feet wet with what I can and can’t do and that will determine if I book a second tour for the second day.

I’m excited to hear how the cruises over the next 5 months go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless either the tour guides or some other rcl person are outside the terminal counting heads and forcing you inside I would feel free to go off and explore. I sincerely doubt anyone will be doing that, but this definitely is the one part we'll have to wait for reports on.

I used the archive.org Wayback Machine to view an old copy of the RCCL Cuba FAQ site. The link to the old certification is still active, and you can view the difference in the old/new versions yourself.

Old: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/content/uploads/2017/04/Cuba.Guest_.Cert_.Final_.pdf

New: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/content/uploads/2017/11/Cuba.Guest_.Cert_.Final_.REV_.pdf

For what it's worth, I copied the text from each into a comparison tool. The only change on the entire document is the addition of text that excludes option 2 for any bookings made after June 16 2017. This eliminates the self-guided people-to-people category.

See the screenshot here: http://cptl.org/tmp/Screenshot_2017-11-12_09-45-04.png

RCCL says that they don't anticipate any changes to their itineraries, but I'm curious to know how they plan to keep Cuba cruises and their passengers legal. From what I understand, the relaxation of the people-to-people category to allow self-guided touring is what ushered in the influx of cruises to Cuba in the last year. Now that the option is eliminated, what will happen?

I can see RCCL requiring the purchase of an excursion for a cruise with a single day in Cuba. Arrive at 8am, excursion at 10am for 4-8 hours. It takes up a large enough part of the day that it would probably be considered legal. But what about the cruises that are doing overnights in Cuba? Those passengers technically have to fill 2+ days with approved activities (or remain on the ship). I was just about to book an Azamara Cuba-intensive cruise for 2019 which includes 3 days/2 nights in Havana, plus one day each in Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba. So that's 5 days in total that the cruise line needs to ensure that their passengers are going to meet the legal requirements. How are they going to do that?

I contacted the tour company we are booked with in April and this is the document they sent to me, sounds like the only way to travel with them is to make it fit into "professional research". I'm extremely confused and because of that debating cancelling. :mad:

Trump´snew rules regarding travel to Cuba

TheTreasury Department published on November 9th, 2017 new restrictions on American travel to the island andplaced dozens of military-owned hotels and shops off-limits. These are the mostimportant things you should know when planning your trip to Cuba:

1.When did you book your trip?

If youbooked your trip to Cuba before June 2017, you do not have to worry about theTrump´s announcement regarding Cuba. Just make sure you have proof when youbooked your ticket to Cuba to show it was done before the June announcement.The rules, announced in June, come into force on Nov. 9, but do not affecttravel plans already in process.

2.Key points of the restrictions:

-Under the new rules, Americans will no longer be permittedto visit Cuba on individual “people-to-people” trips. Still, there are manyways to travel legally to Cuba. People-to-people trips will still be legal, butvisitors must travel as part of an organized group, which will make travel moreexpensive.

-Americans should continue to visit, but they must pay close attention to therules, travel experts said.

-There is a long list of hotels and business in which Americans cannot staybecause of their ties with the government. Airbnbseems to be the best option at the moment for American guests traveling toCuba.

-According to a fact sheet published on Nov. 8 by the Treasury Department,individual travel will still be allowed within 12 categories, includinghumanitarian and religious travel; family visits; journalistic activity; professional research; and participation inpublic performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions.

Thosetraveling in these categories will still be able to book a flight and reserve aroom online and they will not be required to apply for a specific license.However, they should pursue the activity inCuba for which their license is granted, whether it be helping areligious group or bringing humanitarian aid, and keeprecords of their visit for the requisite five years.

3.How can Havana Journeys help with yourtrip to Cuba?

-We are a team of chauffer-guides who work privately so we are not part of thelist of business and shops that were blacklisted.

-We are based in Cuba so we are not under US jurisdiction that means we cannotorganize "individual people to people travel to Cuba" under the newrestrictions.

-We can help with organizing itineraries thatcomply with "professional research" which is one of the possibilitiesof individual travel to Cuba. See the description below please:

Whatconstitutes generally authorized travel-related transactions for “professionalresearch”in Cuba?

OFAChas issued an expanded general license that incorporates prior specific licensingpolicy and authorizes, subject to conditions, travel-related transactions andother transactions that are directly incident to professional research in Cuba.

Amongother things, this general license authorizes, subject to conditions,professional research in Cuba relating to atraveler’s profession, professionalbackground, or area of expertise. In accordance with the NSPM, OFAC isamending this general license to exclude from the authorization directfinancial transactions with entities and sub entities identified on the StateDepartment’s Cuba Restricted List.

Thetraveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation inexcess of that consistent with a full-time schedule. An entire group does notqualify for the general license merely because some members of the groupqualify individually.

Werecommend reading the full article:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

Please see my posts #56 and #71. (Sorry, fingers are getting tired of repeating what I've already posted) They on the right track, but maybe you could help them out by pointing out supporting the Cuban people is the better reason-it makes more sense since you're not researching anything and maybe it will help them drum up more business.

One needs to be clear, unless there are treasury agents on the ship, RCI's ship are not US entities. So they have no real authority to enforce these rules.

Anyway, about the time after the tour- then the question is- what is a "full time schedule?" When the ship is in port for only 12 hours, does that mean all the "full time" requirements become 4 instead of 8? And if you go into a privately owned restaurant, does that also add time to the full time schedule- since you are supporting individuals? (that interpretation has been mentioned by Rubio) That goes for any CUC souvenir shop, too.

This may not be pertinent, since I'm going to Cuba on Viking Ocean, and they have worked with an OFAC-approved travel company to set up tours so that all of us fit under a general license and don't have to certify anything other than the fact that we're traveling under that particular general (not individual) license (Educational - People to People). We have excursions we can choose from, and some of them are only 3 or 4 hours while we're in Cienfuegos. It is unknown whether there will be more to the "full time program" other than the excursions. Will we have lectures on Cuba? A special Cuban night in one or more of the restaurants? Probably, as Viking is big on that kind of thing. Will we be forced to go? Doubtful.

To the poster who provided links to RCCL material, thanks. As someone else mentioned, it's helpful even to those of us who are using another cruise line. Viking is doing things differently, at least for its 4 cruises starting November 17 or so, but it's helpful to read the RCCL material and resulting discussion.

To the poster who provided links to RCCL material, thanks. As someone else mentioned, it's helpful even to those of us who are using another cruise line. Viking is doing things differently, at least for its 4 cruises starting November 17 or so, but it's helpful to read the RCCL material and resulting discussion.

You're welcome. I also forgot to mention in my post that it doesn't look like NCL, Carnival, or Azamara have made any changes to their affidavits as of yet. (Interesting, since Azamara is part of RCCL)

https://ncl.secure.force.com/CubaTravelAffidavit

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/1553089/1497626123/redirect/1/filename/guest-affidavit-final%20(13.Apr.17)-%20FINAL.PDF

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sites/default/files/azamara-alternative_passenger_affidavit-12212016.pdf

You're welcome. I also forgot to mention in my post that it doesn't look like NCL, Carnival, or Azamara have made any changes to their affidavits as of yet. (Interesting, since Azamara is part of RCCL)

https://ncl.secure.force.com/CubaTravelAffidavit

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/1553089/1497626123/redirect/1/filename/guest-affidavit-final%20(13.Apr.17)-%20FINAL.PDF

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sites/default/files/azamara-alternative_passenger_affidavit-12212016.pdf

Interesting to see how other lines do things, or at least did them last month! Is Azamara part of RCCL? I thought they were associated with Celebrity! Also, you haven't found anything for Oceania, have you? They go to Cuba also, Insignia goes out quite soon, I think. Now that they're part of Norwegian, though, I imagine they will follow what Norwegian does.

I too thought that I might be able to visit Cuba under "Support for the Cuban People" . Then I read the "Certification Instructions" that are also on the RCL site. The link is in the FAQ, just under the "Travel Certification" link.

Here's what the "Support for Cuban People" section says:

"Support for the Cuban people.

I am traveling to Cuba to engage with recognized human rights organizations,independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy,or individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND my schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.(31 C.F.R. § 515.574)"

Also the Certification Instructions for the rest of the "General License Categories" look to me to be more restrictive than they at first appear.

I too looked hopefully at several categories - including researching the US Treasury site. I thought the Journalist exception was promising - I would promise to post pictures but there is a lot of language that seems pretty specific - as you note.

I do not understand how enforcement would work once you get ashore but I generally like to obey federal law even if I do not think I will get caught.

Here's a link to a post on the RCCL board that includes the email that was just sent to people booked on a future Cuba cruise. RCCL is telling their passengers that self-guided people-to-people travel is no longer allowed, but suggests that booking one of their excursions ensures that your trip is legal.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54527070&postcount=9

I checked the RCCL excursions for Cuba. There are a couple that are 3 hours, and a few more that are 4 hours. Does that really make the trips legal? The law states you must maintain a full-time schedule of approved activities, and the ships are in port for roughly 12 hours, or even more for an overnight stop. I don't see how 3 hours would cut it, especially when you look at some of the hypothetical examples given by the US government.

Example 5 to § 515.565(b):

An individual plans to travel to Cuba to participate in discussions with Cuban farmers and produce sellers about cooperative farming and agricultural practices and have extended dialogue with religious leaders about the influence of African traditions and religion on society and culture. The individual also plans to spend a few days engaging in brief exchanges with Cuban food vendors while spending time at the beach. Only some of these activities are educational exchange activities that will result in meaningful interaction between the traveler and individuals in Cuba, and the traveler therefore does not have a full-time schedule of such activities on each day of the trip. The trip does not qualify for the general license.

(emphasis mine)

See the bottom of page 4 in this PDF:

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/regulations-docs/federal-register-notices/federal-register-2016/1448-treasury-rule-31616/file

Edited by nicedream

Interesting to see how other lines do things, or at least did them last month! Is Azamara part of RCCL? I thought they were associated with Celebrity!

You're correct. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara are all part of the Royal Caribbean group of companies.

Also, you haven't found anything for Oceania, have you? They go to Cuba also, Insignia goes out quite soon, I think. Now that they're part of Norwegian, though, I imagine they will follow what Norwegian does.

I just checked Oceana, and they seem to the most clear in their guidelines. They have links to 2 affidavits, one that applies to bookings made before June 16, one that applies for bookings made on June 16 or later:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Regional%20Content/Documents/Legal//81604454470/Oceania-Passenger-Certification-Before-June162017.pdf

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Regional%20Content/Documents/Legal/81604454471/Oceania-Passenger-Certification-After-June162017.pdf

Here's a link to a post on the RCCL board that includes the email that was just sent to people booked on a future Cuba cruise. RCCL is telling their passengers that self-guided people-to-people travel is no longer allowed, but suggests that booking one of their excursions ensures that your trip is legal.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54527070&postcount=9

I checked the RCCL excursions for Cuba. There are a couple that are 3 hours, and a few more that are 4 hours. Does that really make the trips legal? The law states you must maintain a full-time schedule of approved activities, and the ships are in port for roughly 12 hours, or even more for an overnight stop. I don't see how 3 hours would cut it, especially when you look at some of the hypothetical examples given by the US government.

(emphasis mine)

See the bottom of page 4 in this PDF:

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/regulations-docs/federal-register-notices/federal-register-2016/1448-treasury-rule-31616/file

Another case of picking and choosing what you want to see. It's specifically worded to scare you. Read on to the part after the scare tactic. It says "or qualify for one of the other categories". Look at the document you have to fill out. There are 4 choices. Box 3 as I've said a zillion times is what you use if you have a private tour booked. In.my other posts I've gone into the specifics please go back and look I'm really tired of repeating myself.

Edited by Knighton

Another case of picking and choosing what you want to see. It's specifically worded to scare you. Read on to the part after the scare tactic. It says "or qualify for one of the other categories". Look at the document you have to fill out. There are 4 choices. Box 3 as I've said a zillion times is what you use if you have a private tour booked. In.my other posts I've gone into the specifics please go back and look I'm really tired of repeating myself.

I'm not picking and choosing, I'm trying to understand the changes to the policy and how the cruise line intends to keep their passengers compliant.

Box 3 that you mention includes categories of travel that I believe have always been available, even before the Obama administration changes (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this). But US cruise lines did not start taking passengers to Cuba until the restrictions on person-to-person travel were relaxed. If booking a private tour is all it takes to satisfy the requirements of "support for the Cuban people" (box 3), then why weren't all these cruise lines going to Cuba for years? Why wasn't it until the self-guided person-to-person option was allowed that the cruise lines started visiting Cuba? You may say that a private tour satisfies the requirements of box 3 on the RCCL form, but I am skeptical of that until I hear some official word from a cruise line or the US government.

The question of whether or not booking a cruise line excursion is enough to qualify you under box 1 is a different issue. My point in the post you quoted is that not that an excursion is the only legal way to visit Cuba, but that RCCL is essentially telling passengers that booking one of their excursions is all they need to be legal. But I have serious doubts about a 3 hour activity can meet the definition of a full-time schedule of activities. I don't see how it can, but maybe they know something I don't.

This may not be pertinent, since I'm going to Cuba on Viking Ocean, and they have worked with an OFAC-approved travel company to set up tours so that all of us fit under a general license and don't have to certify anything other than the fact that we're traveling under that particular general (not individual) license (Educational - People to People). We have excursions we can choose from, and some of them are only 3 or 4 hours while we're in Cienfuegos. It is unknown whether there will be more to the "full time program" other than the excursions. Will we have lectures on Cuba? A special Cuban night in one or more of the restaurants? Probably, as Viking is big on that kind of thing. Will we be forced to go? Doubtful.

Sorry about that- I forgot what board this message was on. Still, what US flagged ship goes to Havana? So none really have the authority to enforce any US rules. It's more up to the traveler.

I'm not picking and choosing, I'm trying to understand the changes to the policy and how the cruise line intends to keep their passengers compliant.

Box 3 that you mention includes categories of travel that I believe have always been available, even before the Obama administration changes (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this). But US cruise lines did not start taking passengers to Cuba until the restrictions on person-to-person travel were relaxed. If booking a private tour is all it takes to satisfy the requirements of "support for the Cuban people" (box 3), then why weren't all these cruise lines going to Cuba for years? Why wasn't it until the self-guided person-to-person option was allowed that the cruise lines started visiting Cuba? You may say that a private tour satisfies the requirements of box 3 on the RCCL form, but I am skeptical of that until I hear some official word from a cruise line or the US government.

The question of whether or not booking a cruise line excursion is enough to qualify you under box 1 is a different issue. My point in the post you quoted is that not that an excursion is the only legal way to visit Cuba, but that RCCL is essentially telling passengers that booking one of their excursions is all they need to be legal. But I have serious doubts about a 3 hour activity can meet the definition of a full-time schedule of activities. I don't see how it can, but maybe they know something I don't.

The people to people reasons we're created by the Clinton administration. However until president Obama's executive order it was still illegal for airlines and cruise operators to go there from the u.s. That's why noone was going there yet. And it was a 2 part thing. In 2012 there was some easing but it wasn't until 2015 I think that the order came out that would make individual people to people ok and also included an ok for airlines and cruise lines to go from the u.s. as long as passengers stated they were going under one of the people to people reasons and not for vacation. Fast forward a year or so and finally the airlines and cruise lines were starting to be ready.

As far as excursion length I agree. That's why I'm not trusting that rcl is doing this for your convenience and ease of mind as they would lead you to believe. If you split hairs, they could say well if all you do is the 3 hour excursion then that's the full time you will be off the ship, won't it? They're out to make a buck and you using a private local certainly doesn't make rcl money. That's why the wording of the information on their Cuba FAQs to me really looks like scare tactics. I've seen a number of times on these 2 threads people insisting there's only 1 way to get off the ship when that simply isn't true. People only see the scary part and start jumping to conclusions without reading the rest.

Yes it is germane because here's where you yourself mention staying on board and it is patently false. The rcl site clearly states that if you wish to stay on board you will not be charged the visa fee, therefore there IS an option to do just that. I really don't know why anyone would bother going on the cruise at all if they weren't getting off in Havana, but there you go.

I agree that if you stay on the ship you will not be charged the visa fee. The visa is a requirement of the Cuban government to pass the frontier checkpoint located in the terminal. This has nothing to do with the US Government regulations regarding the US embargo of Cuba.

I also did not say you could not stay on the ship - my statement was that it was not clear that you could satisfy the embargo exemptions by staying on the ship. The embargo is all about not spending money in Cuba and, if you are on the ship, you start doing that, indirectly, when the ship enters Cuban waters and therefor you might be required to meet one of the exemption categories.

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right - only that I remain uncomfortable with this option. I agree it is not a significant point for the current RCI cruise but it is an issue for longer cruises where the Cuba stop is not the focus of the cruise.

I agree that if you stay on the ship you will not be charged the visa fee. The visa is a requirement of the Cuban government to pass the frontier checkpoint located in the terminal. This has nothing to do with the US Government regulations regarding the US embargo of Cuba.

On our cruise back in July, we were charged for the travel visa as we checked in for the cruise. So it would be hard not the be charged for the visa.

On our cruise back in July, we were charged for the travel visa as we checked in for the cruise. So it would be hard not the be charged for the visa.

Yes but rcl is specifically mentioning this in their new FAQs so it must be something new.

Are any of you sailing on a cruise to Cuba soon? On which line?

I would love to read about your experience. All of this speculation is driving me crazy :confused: I have a Cuba cruise booked on NCL and one waitlisted on Oceania in May. I'd like to have accurate information soon enough to cancel and plan something else if going ashore will actually be as restrictive as it seems.

Please share !

RCI claims in the Cuba FAQs you will not be charged the visa fee if you are not going ashore - I am not sure anyone has actually tested that point. I would expect that you would have to so state at check-in or the agent will simply assume you need the visa.

I would love to read about your experience. All of this speculation is driving me crazy :confused: I have a Cuba cruise booked on NCL and one waitlisted on Oceania in May. I'd like to have accurate information soon enough to cancel and plan something else if going ashore will actually be as restrictive as it seems.

Please share !

I will be there in two weeks. On Tday. As I have been before I plan on wandering around as always. Been trying to find out more.. mybagent feels she might be told one thing and once there I can just go off. A little hard to force people to,tour when you can walk off the ship cross the street and enjoy Old Havana.

Hi just to through my two penneth worth in, i have just spoke to Carnival, and asked about my options, they stated that nothing has changed they were aware of the Presidents changes, and nothing has changed e.g. you can still go on private tours!!!!!

I tried to ask the question several in different ways, she said no matter how you re-phrase the question you will still be able to access the private tours

I am booked for next August, what i still struggle with is that i am a UK passport holder!!!!!!!!!

Yes but rcl is specifically mentioning this in their new FAQs so it must be something new.

Maybe, but why would anyone spend 3-4x more for a cruise on the Empress when it goes to Havana vs the time it does not? That $75 is pittance compared to the much higher cruise fare.

Please share !

This may be redundant, but I'm going in 3 weeks on Viking, so here's my experience so far. I'll try to report back what happened, although it may not be of interest to anyone because Viking's approach appears to be different from many other cruise lines.

Viking is traveling under a general license for educational people to people exchange. They're using an OFAC-approved travel (at least in 2016; assume no change has been made to that!). We were emailed an affidavit to fill out, sign and bring with us when we embark and they'll give us a travel certification, along with the Cuban visa the health coverage they've obtained for us. There's a list of rules from OFAC - educational exchanges take place under auspices of organization or person subject to U.S. jurisdiction, there's a full time schedule of activities resulting in meaningful interaction between traveler and individuals in Cuba, employee, paid consultant or agent of sponsoring organization accompanies each group traveling to Cuba to ensure full time schedule, predominant port of activities engaged in by individual travelers is not with individuals or entities acting for or on behalf of a prohibited official of Government or Cuba or prohibited member of Cuban Communist Party. There's a number to call for Cuba Travel Services if we have questions; perhaps I'll call and ask if we can stay after an excursion. That's my own (possible) concern, as I like to wander.

Months ago, when people called Viking to ask if we could go off on our own, they were told we need to stay with the group. I assume this is still the same, although I'm not sure if any enforcement will be done by Cuba Travel Services. Apparently they're responsible for leading this whole show.

I believe it was the Obama administration that put the individual people to people category into place, not Clinton. What I don't know is if there was a list of prohibited entities as well, like there is now. I believe there was, but it was not as complete and specific as the one now, which includes a number of hotels and stores.

For the UK person, I read most of the RCCL info and THINK I remember something about ALL passengers having to be comply with what Americans were doing in order to visit Cuba. Is that your concern?