New rules on visiting Cuba

RVman

you are if you travel yo cuba via US, everybody comes under US regulations

How so?

The rules are for people traveling to Cuba with a US passport. Not sure how it applies to anyone not from the US.

Just like if you went to Cuba and exchanged Pounds, you would not be subject to the 10% fee that the $US is charged.

How so?

The rules are for people traveling to Cuba with a US passport. Not sure how it applies to anyone not from the US.

Just like if you went to Cuba and exchanged Pounds, you would not be subject to the 10% fee that the $US is charged.

if you enter Cuba via the US (by either boat or ship) you have have to fill in the the same travel visa/certificate as US citizens and have to keep documentations for up to 5 years, i know its crazy and i wished it wasnt true. I enquired a getting a travel card from the UK, however was told and confirmed that I have to travel under the same regs as US citizens, its the same for canadians or anyone who travels via the US,it would same as if you US citizens travel from outside US you wouldnt need to do this, hence US citizens have been going to cuba for years just not from the US

i guess the good news is that at least i dont have to pay the 10% fee

im starting to think this will be ok, and not a lot will change from before

I think the best solution is to contact the private tour company you want to use and see if they have taken tours with cruise ship passengers including those from your cruise line.

The company I am using said they have taken cruise ship guests on tours under the support for Cuban people category.

I agree with the point raised by frugaltravel. It appears that cruise ship passengers can still visit Havana outside of a cruise ship excursion, provided that they have confirmed that their activity meets the new rules. It looks like Royal Caribbean is making it clear that people without ship-sponsored excursions are responsible for this verification. It does not look like Royal Caribbean themselves will restrict people from leaving the ship, regardless of whether they have booked an excursion.

It does seem that the category of "Support for the Cuban People" could be used for some privately arranged tours. As pointed out by others, I suggest that people booking those tours validate the category with the tour provider.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with the point raised by frugaltravel. It appears that cruise ship passengers can still visit Havana outside of a cruise ship excursion, provided that they have confirmed that their activity meets the new rules. It looks like Royal Caribbean is making it clear that people without ship-sponsored excursions are responsible for this verification. It does not look like Royal Caribbean themselves will restrict people from leaving the ship, regardless of whether they have booked an excursion.

It does seem that the category of "Support for the Cuban People" could be used for some privately arranged tours. As pointed out by others, I suggest that people booking those tours validate the category with the tour provider.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you can validate yourself than it seems like this really doesn't apply to non-Americans or at least non-residents.Unless this is checked on re-entry in Miami?

If you can validate yourself than it seems like this really doesn't apply to non-Americans or at least non-residents.Unless this is checked on re-entry in Miami?

Everyone on a cruise ship that begins/ends in the US is subject to the US regulations per other posts. So that is what everyone is trying to determine - how strict the cruise lines will be with regard to getting off the ship in Cuba without taking a ship excursion. It appears with RCCL that people can take independent group excursions.

In any case, from all I have read, no one checks the documentation returning to Miami, though people need to keep the documentation for five years in case they are asked for it at a later date.

So I just called Royal Caribbean, and according to them, unless you booked your reservation before June 15, 2017, you will not be allowed off the boat in Cuba unless you are on a Royal Caribbean tour. Unfortunately, it appears as though Royal Caribbean tours are significantly overpriced - $275 p/p for a 3 hour classic car tour, $175 p/p for tickets to the Tropicana.

Anyone else have any information on this? We're sailing on 12/4 this year and I'd really prefer to do some of this stuff either on our own or through another tour provider.

Following. We were supposed to go in September, but our sailing was cancelled due to Irma. We rebooked in mid-September for next May, but my interest diminishes quite a bit if we need to take a ship sponsored tour. :(

I got email back today (listed below) from the U.S. State Department about clarifying rules in relation to using local tours when on cruise ships......

Yanira was very helpful and wanted to share this feedback that sounds like you can use local tours instead of the cruise ship tours.... (p.s...i deleted my name on the email for privacy reasons but the rest is the actual email).. also note the other person cc'd from the state department on their reply.

From: Alvarez, Yanira X (Havana) [mailto:AlvarezYX@state.gov]

Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:09 AM

To: Greg

Cc: Miranda, Leonel G

Subject: RE: New Cuba Travel Policy for USA residents

Dear Greg,

As long as your trip purposemeets the requirements of one of the 12 categories approved by OFAC and youhave the Cuban visa issued by this Cruise Company, it should be OK to be ableto do the tour in Havana. Should you have more questions please contact theCruise Company or our office at (53)7839-4211 or 78394241.

We cannot advise otherwise orgive any opinion.

Cordially,

Yanira Alvarez Piñeiro

Consular Assistant

American Citizens Services

U.S. Embassy

Havana, Cuba

Phone: (53) 78394211

Privacy/PII

Thisemail is UNCLASSIFIED.

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:52 PM

To: Havana, ACS

Subject: New Cuba Travel Policy for USA residents

My family will becoming to Havana on a cruise ship on November 24th for the day andwe had scheduled a tour with a local guide with Fertours and I wanted to makesure we could still do this due to the recent changes. According to theGeneral License Categories they would fall under the “Support for Cuban People”

Here is tour guide web site..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ince_Cuba.html

Documentwe are required to fill out to list the purpose of the visit.. Thedescription below lists “Iam traveling to Cuba to engage with individuals and non-governmental

organizations that promote independent activityintended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND my schedule of activities

doesnot include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with afull-time schedule. (31 C.FR. § 515.574)

We will be on afull day tour and wanted to verify that were not required to only do the cruisetour and that this local Havana tour with a local guide would be ok andchecking box 3 for the Support of the Cuban people would be the correct way tofill out this form

Thank you,

-Greg

Supportfor the Cuban people. I am traveling to Cuba to engage with recognized humanrights organizations,

independent organizations designed to promote arapid, peaceful transition to democracy, or individuals and non-governmental

organizations that promote independent activityintended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND my schedule of activities

doesnot include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with afull-time schedule. (31 C.FR. § 515.574)

How so?

The rules (laws actually) are for anyone "subject to US Jurisdiction" which includes anyone that returns to the US and passes thru US Customs.

Regardless of what passport you carry, Cuba will not charge you the 10% to change Pounds, Euros, CAD, etc. Also, Cuba will charge you the 10% if you exchange USD regardless of the passport you carry.

As a UK passport holder you could skip the US entirely and fly to Havana and take a MSC cruise that does not make any US Port calls.

The rules (laws actually) are for anyone "subject to US Jurisdiction" which includes anyone that returns to the US and passes thru US Customs.

Regardless of what passport you carry, Cuba will not charge you the 10% to change Pounds, Euros, CAD, etc. Also, Cuba will charge you the 10% if you exchange USD regardless of the passport you carry.

As a UK passport holder you could skip the US entirely and fly to Havana and take a MSC cruise that does not make any US Port calls.

Thanks dwgrenlee

You are correct I have always have that choice, however on this occasion I needed to be in the US, I thought I kill two birds with one stone, and I like coming to the US

On reflection I could have done a bit more research before making my choice, however with what you and some others have written, this comes down to wording and enforcement, how this will be enforced from the cruise companies, and US law enforcement is yet to be seen from those who booked post June, but the initial indicators, some of which you have highlighted, I currently feel optimistic, but that’s my opinion

I have always got the choice to change

Edited by nbhwarrior
change wording

Thanks dwgrenlee

You are correct I have always have that choice, however on this occasion I needed to be in the US, I thought I kill two birds with one stone, and I like coming to the US

On reflection I could have done a bit more research before making my choice, however with what you and some others have written, this comes down to wording and enforcement, how this will be enforced from the cruise companies, and US law enforcement is yet to be seen from those who booked post June, but the initial indicators, some of which you have highlighted, I currently feel optimistic, but that’s my opinion

I have always got the choice to change

We are very glad you - and your pound-sterling - like visiting the US.

For Info, the normal enforcement method by US Treasury, is to send violation notice letters months - sometimes even years - after the visit occurs. Individual enforcement is rare due to resource limitations and I would think action against a UK Citizen who is now outside the US would be a fool's errand.

So long as the ship is not enforcing anything I would say you are free and clear - and even if they start all you have to do is take a tour.

Have fun and please report your experiences.

Anyone have a private tour booked for Havana. If so, please send me the website or email of that company. I had booked a tour and they emailed me yesterday saying they can no longer offer it as they are 100% Cuban owned and operated.

Edited by andrewsjerrypat
repeat of another message

Does anyone have a private tour that they booked after Trump's new regulations If so, please send me the website or email of that company. I had booked a tour and they emailed me yesterday saying they can no longer offer it as they are 100% Cuban owned and operated.

I did the full day Havana tour with them before the changes, and it was fabulous. Highly recommended.

Just went to their website , and they now have a section specifically for US travelers. They have partnered with an approved US based company, and will meet the requirements.

http://locallysourcedcuba.com/us-travelers-to-cuba/

Does anyone have a private tour that they booked after Trump's new regulations If so, please send me the website or email of that company. I had booked a tour and they emailed me yesterday saying they can no longer offer it as they are 100% Cuban owned and operated.

What company was this ?I still have to book tours for my Feb. Cuba cruise .

Check out... Fertours at the email below.. they are on trip advisor and say they are private owned... see my email below when we were researching..

http://www.fertours2cuba.com/

Fernando is the contact there we booked a tour with..

Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 8:36 PM

To: Greg Benusa <gbenusa@pacbell.net>

Subject: Re: Royal Caribbean Cuba Update

Next Tuesday I have clients coming on a cruise and they are doing the tours.

My company is 100% private and you will be spending the entire day with a Cubanthat will give you a true insight of the Cuban culture and way of living. Mycompany is not listed among those that were listed by OFAC

So, your tour will be definitely educational and you will be truly supportingthe Cuban people and specifically the private sector which is exactly the reasonwhy this restrictions were issued in the first place.

Kind regards!

Fernando

Enviado desde mi Huawei