Can I buy alcohol onboard and take onto shore?

chloemonkey

I admit that I am thinking a little bit "more" about all the claims of tainted alcohol in many ports both in Mexico, etc....Just saw a piece on the Today Show this morning and had a thought about taking our OWN alcohol off of the ship.

The only way I am thinking that this could work is if we bought a bottle from Room Services? Or guess I could have a bottle of Tequila included in our 3 allotted bottles....BUT can you take alcohol OFF of the ship? I am pretty sure that you would have to leave any unconsumed behind...

Thoughts? And no flames please.....I have travelled to Mexico and beyond for YEARS but just in case my paranoia builds....I would like an option.

Thoughts? And no flames please.....I have travelled to Mexico and beyond for YEARS but just in case my paranoia builds....I would like an option.

I think you are being overly paranoid - but I've never been checked for anything when getting off the ship (other than when re-entering USA or Canada). So - I'm sure you'd be fine.

You *will* need to finish what you take however. They seem to check pretty carefully when getting back on!

I admit that I am thinking a little bit "more" about all the claims of tainted alcohol in many ports both in Mexico, etc....Just saw a piece on the Today Show this morning and had a thought about taking our OWN alcohol off of the ship.

The only way I am thinking that this could work is if we bought a bottle from Room Services? Or guess I could have a bottle of Tequila included in our 3 allotted bottles....BUT can you take alcohol OFF of the ship? I am pretty sure that you would have to leave any unconsumed behind...

Alcohol purchased on the ship is impounded until disembarkation.

Maybe you can buy liquor from a reputable store on shore at your destination.

Post a question on a forum like TripAdvisor for suggestions (hopefully from locals) on where to buy authentic bottles.

I lived in a tourist area with lots of counterfeit liquor sold in bars and we would only drink beers and bottled premix drinks.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

This is my understanding as well.

Keith

That is correct.

Op, you could buy a couple (or more :cool: ) shots of whatever strong alcohol (no mixture of course) from the bar on previous days and fill up a thermal mug or something similar. I have never seen that they check your belongings while you leave the ship, only when you enter the ship.

It's perhaps more difficult to then use that alcohol if you'd wish to use it while eating, snacking etc at a bar/restaurant. They would most likely have a 100% no own drinks policy in place.

Anything you can drink on board, you can also drink on shore, if you have a way to carry it off. I would keep it out of sight from the security people as you leave the ship, because they do sometimes stop people from getting off with drinks. Like if you have a cup of coffee or a cocktail in your hand, they may make you either finish it or throw it out. Not sure about a full bottle of tequila…

There is a small possibility that the local port authorities will search your bag looking for food and drink, and they may not be happy about seeing a liter of alcohol. If you tell us which ports you'll be going to in Mexico, people may be able to tell you how likely this is to happen.

Alcohol purchased on the ship is impounded until disembarkation.

That is only f purchased in the Duty Free shop.

But if purchased from a bar it can be consumed anywhere on the ship.

To OP's question, would depend on Mexico law.