Great Stirrup Cay Questions

thatjoeguy

Hey all. We're on one of the MANY trips that was rerouted due to hurricanes. We normally cruise the Eastern Caribbean, and only previous time we had a ship that was headed to GSC (6 or 8 years ago) we couldn't stop due to rocky seas. As a result, several questions:

1) What all is and isn't included on the island? We have the UBP, so I'm hoping that all the drinks are included? Is all the food included as well? I read that there's the normal buffet type place as well as a taco bar. I assume rentals are NOT included. (We normally bring our own snorkel stuff anyway.) Any other activities that require a fee? Nothing is showing up in the excursion ab for that day yet.

2) What's the deal with the cabanas? Do I rent through the excursion department if we want one? Any notes on the different sizes (there are two, I think?) and cost? We're sailing with some friends, and have several kids in the group, so thought this might be nice.

If you have any other tips and tricks, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!!

UBP is NOT valid and food is NOT included at GSC.

Cabanas should be listed on the excursions for your cruise. Get them as you would any other excursion.

Now, I'm confused again. I thought food was free and you could use the UBP on GSC, but not on Harvest Caye. Do I have it backwards?

Just looked on NCL's website and here is what they say:

When you cruise to the Bahamas on Norwegian, there's an exclusive, private 250-acre paradise waiting just for you. Great Stirrup Cay is not just our island. It's your island. And it's more thrilling, more natural and more unforgettable than ever before.

The best part, you have the complete freedom to do whatever makes you happy. So walk along our soft, white sand beaches and feel the warm Bahamian sun on your skin. Snorkel in crystal-clear water beside a school of tropical fish. If you get a little adventurous, there's plenty to do like explore the island's secret coast in a kayak or take a WaveRunner® for a spin. For the most breathtaking views of the island, parasail in the deep blue sky over the Caribbean. And whether you're five-years-old or forty-five, you'll love splashing down the world's largest inflatable water slide.

Take a break from your action-packed day by enjoying your favourite cocktail, a complimentary midday beachside BBQ and calm ocean breezes blowing through your hair.

FYI the cabanas are a LOOOOOONNNGGGG way form the pool. I would save my money and either pay for nothing -OR- rent a couple of clam shells on the beach.

The OP is asking about Great Stirrup Cay. Yes, the UBP can be used, all food is free, you book cabanas ahead of time, they sell out, pricing is fluid based on ship and sailing.

UBP is NOT valid and food is NOT included at GSC.

Cabanas should be listed on the excursions for your cruise. Get them as you would any other excursion.

You are confusing GSC with Harvest Cay.

UBP, food including tacos included.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. UPB can be used there and there is a BBQ place. We had a large cabana for 4, which we enjoyed, but we could have gotten away with a small one. You book it as an excursion.

The cabana comes with water (normally you have to pay for this)

Fresh fruit

Chips and three kinds of salsa, ask and they will refill

$50 to spend on a provided menu, we had the shrimp cocktail and charcuturie tray which was tons of food.

It also came with four floats (normally a fee for these)

The large cabanas are slightly closer to the ship, but not a lot.

Other things to rent were jet skis, snorkel gear, including the new full face snorkel or regular ones, paddle boards and there was also parasailing and a snorkel excursion to a small island next door.

• 1 month later...
New to cruising. We are sailing on NCL Sky in two weeks. Because that ship is all inclusive, are beverages free at GSC?

Yes. Your beverage benefits carry forward to the island. I posted some recent pictures of GSC on the following link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539744 (including pictures of the large and small cabanas)

Cabanas are costly. Loungers anywhere on the island are for anyone, as is the included BBQ lunch. You can still use your drink package for drinks...and rent floats or whatever else you want IF you need/want them. You don't have to have a cabana to have a great day!

DH and I left the ship about 11:30AM. We settled in at the BBQ buffet for lunch and then wandered down to the beach probably about 1PM. By that time, there were loungers available and we settled in and spent a good several hours watching the beautiful water and doing a little wading/swimming.

• 1 month later...