What makes an excellent Cruise Director

jswdlw

Many people make comments about their Cruise Director being excellent. What made them out shine others?

Ones that don't feel the need to read the whole daily over the PA system. If I want to know what's going on around the ship, I can read it myself.

IMO, the ones that can stay off the PA as much as possible.

Charismatic, approachable and fun. A good cruise director should act like a gracious host (and emcee) at a huge floating party.

The ones that we remember get to know the guests, greet them by name throughout the cruise, and go out of their way to make sure that everyone is smiling.

To me it's one who gets out there and mingles with the passengers. It adds a personal touch and when you see them they stop to talk and if they remember your name it's impressive. Getting the passengers (who want to be) involved in activities.

One who stays under the radar and doesn't try to make himself or herself the center of attention. If I get off a cruise and don't know the cruise director's name, then I feel they are excellent. I don't like the ones that try to act like a celebrity. They just need to organize and oversee the activities without BEING the activity.

To answer the question, I think back to my three favorite Cruise Directors:

1) Chloe Loddo on the Carnival Splendor was a bundle of positive energy. She'd attend all the shows (even though she must have seen them 10 million times by that point) and then would lead everyone to the atrium for a show-related activity afterwards. She always quick with a smile and a picture-taking opportunity.

2) Iain Bagshaw on the Jewel was not quite as omnipresent, but his droll humor (including introducing every show with his Joke of the Day) was awesome. He really made us feel like honored guests.

3) Carlos Torres of the Empress of the Seas was also present and mingling with the guests, introduced every show with the band playing "Tequila" (acting faux-disappointed if the crowd wasn't enthusiastic enough with the "Tequila!" shout), and also made us feel welcome.

So I guess my answer would be a friendly, energetic Director who we see frequently and makes us feel wanted and appreciated.

Ones that don't feel the need to read the whole daily over the PA system. If I want to know what's going on around the ship, I can read it myself.

IMO, the ones that can stay off the PA as much as possible.

One who stays under the radar and doesn't try to make himself or herself the center of attention. If I get off a cruise and don't know the cruise director's name, then I feel they are excellent. I don't like the ones that try to act like a celebrity. They just need to organize and oversee the activities without BEING the activity.

(y) x infinity.

A cruise director can ruin a cruise by being on the PA all the time and in your face. The best are the ones that leave you alone to enjoy your vacation the way you want to.