Plan approved for berthing large cruise ships in Auckland

Getting the Resource Consent could take a decade. We've a far-left Government as of a few weeks ago too and they're just not cruiser friendly; they'd be at their happiest to never see a cruise ship again.

I cannot see any government wanting to get rid of that much of the tourism dollars.:D

Getting the Resource Consent could take a decade. We've a far-left Government as of a few weeks ago too and they're just not cruiser friendly; they'd be at their happiest to never see a cruise ship again.

I think you will find that they know what side their bread is buttered.

I think you will find that they know what side their bread is buttered.

If that was true, why would they need the hard sell that the $10M will be recovered via port fees.

Surely this amount would be brought ashore in about 10 port days from the mega ships - based on 4000 pax spending $250 = $1M per port day.

This does not even include embarkation and disembarkation travel and accommodation revenues.

If you built it they will come!

If that was true, why would they need the hard sell that the $10M will be recovered via port fees.

Surely this amount would be brought ashore in about 10 port days from the mega ships - based on 4000 pax spending $250 = $1M per port day.

This does not even include embarkation and disembarkation travel and accommodation revenues.

If you built it they will come!

I agree, the money would be recouped very quickly.

As a resident of Auckland I have to question what 8,000 people off a mega ship are going to do for the day! We are pretty saturated when two smaller ships are docked at Princes and Queens wharf, the transportation and infrastructure needs work. We have a changed government and our beloved deputy prime minister wants the commercial ports moved North, so I think there will be a lot of Politicking and protesting before this goes anywhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums