Carnival hub app text messaging

v3cruiser

I am not even getting involved in the text/Hub/internet discussion! ;p

However, I did want to say that my 12-year old was only able to chat with people that were within our grouped sailing. I had to give permission for her to be able to chat. After that, she could only message us. She met friends on board, but they were not able to message each other through the app. She was disappointed with that feature. 13+ kids would have no problem!

Just a heads up to add that we were on the Liberty recently, and were all eager to use the Chat function on the app to help us find each other on the ship, only to get on and find that it was having technical issues. The rest of the app worked, but the Chat function didn't work at all during our trip. We spent a lot of time leaving notes for each other and looking for each other. They did refund our $5 each, though.

• 3 months later...

We were recently on Disney and you can download their app free and text friends and family on board. I really liked that the Kids Club would text you if your child wanted to leave... it only happened once during our 7 day cruise but it gave me piece of mind. We will be sailing on the Horizon on 7/3/18... Does Camp Ocean text you if you download the Hub app ?

• 5 months later...
Does the$10.25/day Value Internet Plan allow you to use the Carnival HUB chat feature? My wife and I are thinking one of us can purchase the Value Package and the other purchase just $5/sailing chat feature via Carnival Hub and both of us can then "chat" via the HUB chat feature.

No, 2 totally separate things. You'll both need to pay $5 if you wish to chat via The Hub. However if you both have Internet then you can just chat via Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Lots of useful information here.  I see that the menus have been added to the Hub app, and I understand you can also use it on some of the ships (specifically, the Vista was the subject of the post I saw on the subject) to get seats in the YTD without going to the 5th deck office to check in.

Now, I have a question.  Since this is a wi-fi based app, will it work on an unactivated phone?  Specifically, I don't really want to carry a $1000 phone around on the ship, when I have a number of perfectly good, but no longer activated phones in my closet.

2 hours ago, TubT said:

Lots of useful information here.  I see that the menus have been added to the Hub app, and I understand you can also use it on some of the ships (specifically, the Vista was the subject of the post I saw on the subject) to get seats in the YTD without going to the 5th deck office to check in.

Now, I have a question.  Since this is a wi-fi based app, will it work on an unactivated phone?  Specifically, I don't really want to carry a $1000 phone around on the ship, when I have a number of perfectly good, but no longer activated phones in my closet.

It worked on my tablet that is not connected to a data plan, so I am guessing it would work for the HUB only.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:59 AM, SKrauss said:

We were recently on Disney and you can download their app free and text friends and family on board. I really liked that the Kids Club would text you if your child wanted to leave... it only happened once during our 7 day cruise but it gave me piece of mind. We will be sailing on the Horizon on 7/3/18... Does Camp Ocean text you if you download the Hub app ?

I wonder if the kids camp on carnival will send a message via the hub app?

13 hours ago, TubT said:

I have heard you have to be updated to a certain level of Android for it to work.  Does anyone know what the minimum version of Android is required?

It says 4.4, but if anybody is still using something older than that, I feel sorry for them.

Didn't know this and never had any issues, my phone was a few years old at the time.

How do I update my Android ?
  1. Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi.
  2. Open Settings.
  3. Select About Phone.
  4. Tap Check for Updates. If an update is available, an Update button will appear. Tap it.
  5. Install. Depending on the OS, you'll see Install Now, Reboot and install, or Install System Software. Tap it.
Edited by Ziggy7

9 hours ago, rukkian said:

It says 4.4, but if anybody is still using something older than that, I feel sorry for them.

Thanks!  I just went to check, and one of the old phones is 5.1.  I may throw another one in, just in case.  But that one is small, so that would be my wife's preference.