Divina Review

pokeyjane

Hello! This is my first review, so please bear with me. :) Background, I am 34, hubby is 37, my two boys are 1 and 5 (but turned 6 during the sailing). We have done the Carnival thing but our first on MSC, both boys have been on Carnival too. I grew up going on Cruises, not dozens but a few. We also traveled with my mother in law (her second cruise, first with MSC), and her boyfriend (first cruise). This was a surprise 8 day sailing for my sons birthday. We didn’t tell him until we were in the tunnel going into port. We had told him we were dropping off Grandma and Bill at port and we were going back to the airport to go to Chicago. He was shocked!

Getting on was a breeze! 10 minutes from shuttle dropping us off to being in the lobby. So great.

ROOMS

We were in 11099. No noise from elevators or the hallways, very quiet. My oldest had a top bunk that came from the wall, not recessed in the ceiling. My youngest had a pack and play on the floor. We still had room to move around too. The hallway/doorway was a little narrow, it was tricky getting the travel stroller in and out, especially when people would quickly turn the corner and run into us. My MIL had the aft balcony, room 11299. The balcony was very large and loved the view, especially watching them tie the ship up in port.

I felt the rooms were larger than previous company and appreciated the turndown service at night. We would often come back to our room not cleaned in the morning but not a huge deal. If we ever needed anything, staff were often found in the hallway cleaning other rooms. Once we ran out of toilet paper (more on that later) and I called reception and some was brought right away.

FOOD

It was cruise food. Nothing super memorable. The only things I didn’t like was the baked alaska (first time having it) was way too sweet and sugary, I didn’t like the birthday cake at all, and just once did I order off the kids menu. I loved how the kids menu changed a little every night too. On our previous company, it was the same thing every night. Though, chicken nuggets/strips would be nice. Our dinning room staff were the best ever. Super nice, patient with the kids, helped celebrate my sons birthday, and they would even help me carry plates when they saw me on the buffet.

POOL

I used the pool once (more on that later) and the hot tub twice with hubby. Deck chairs were very hard to come by but I saw most were occupied, I did not experience many with just a towel. The pool was often not filled all the way so the kids splash area around it was not there and the decorative fountains (I could see the sprinkler heads) were never on. Staff kept the area dry and neat, anti slip mats were placed on the major walk ways which was very helpful. We did not use the adults aft pool as it was also the smoking area and it was stinky! My MIL boyfriend was there most the cruise though, and he seemed to enjoy it.

SHOWS

Eh. Some were ok, but I have kids so I never made it through the entire show. Just like the previous company, it really depends on what you like. I thought they had a large talented cast however, more set pieces would be nice and I was always questioning if they were really singing. I guess that last one could be a dis or a compliment.

KIDS PROGRAM

I LOVED that my youngest could go there for a few hours for free. It was limited to 6 and was first come, first served, however they were not consistentaly following the policy of when you could sign up. But, it was free and he loved it. My oldest wanted to be in there as long as possible. On the day of his birthday, it was the Lego Master Builder Day. I had to beg him to leave for dinner so we could surprise him with his cake! The kids staff were super nice and some have been there for 6 years or longer! They would often take the kids to the Black and White Lounge for activities (Bingo, disco, cooking class), on parades around the ship, and to the shows in the evening. I don’t think the previous company took them anywhere. They had lots of opportunities to win prizes so my son was super excited when he finally won one. It was a stuffed mascot. A very large one! My son is austic and once he had a rough day but the staff worked with him and even gave him a foam ship toy for turning his day around. He was so sad when we had to leave them.

THE BAD

Ok, now to talk about the few things I referenced earlier. For three days, I was stuck in the room with the pukes and the poops. I was miserable. Luckily, no one else was sick but me in our room. My MIL was sick for a day or so. The buffet had an asian section so I lived on that rice soup oatmeal thing, and bread. With the hot tub, it died my swimsuit. It is not new, nor is it old. It had been one one cruise before and a swimming pool session at the school, handwashed all the time. It is now an ombre purple, the bottom is very very light and the straps are like new. I’m kinda annoyed as I loved it and it was pricy, but I guess that is the risk you take. So now that is my MSC suit.

Photos turned out nice but I wish there was published price and a list of all the effects that could be applied. The lines were always so long and it took forever to ask questions. I did like that they would hold your photos so you don’t have to search for them every time you want to see them. They also need more photo packages. The only way to get any digital copies was with the $200 package. The previous company had that as an option which I loved.

FINAL THOUGHTS

On Saturday I booked a 10 night balcony for $399 leaving in January. :DWe will be back if service continues, or improves.

Please let me know if I left anything out or if you have questions.

Hello

THE BAD With the hot tub, it died my swimsuit. It is not new, nor is it old. It had been one one cruise before and a swimming pool session at the school, handwashed all the time. It is now an ombre purple, the bottom is very very light and the straps are like new. I’m kinda annoyed as I loved it and it was pricy, but I guess that is the risk you take. So now that is my MSC suit.

This exact thing happened to me on a Celebrity cruise! Expensive periwinkle bathing suit! Ended up being able to return to the retailer.

Thank you for your review. We are sailing on Divina on Dec. 9th and are looking forward to trying it. Our friends and us also have deck 11 aft balcony cabins, and I'm happy to know your MIL enjoyed her.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise enough to book another MSC sailing, and will look forward to reading your comparisons then. I'm sorry you had a few sick days, and hopefully are completely well now.