Uber to LGB After Cruise

mysusie45

Need a little help as Uber novice.

Will arrive early in the morning at World Cruise Center after Canal cruise. Want to Uber to LGB for flight home in the early afternoon.

When do I call for the Uber? I assume after leaving ship and collecting luggage? Where do they pick up at WCC?

Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated. Husband is somewhat mobility limited and does not want to walk all over the cruise port if I get this wrong. I have managed to get us from the Budapest airport to city center on public transportation without speaking the language but Uber in Long Beach may be my undoing. :confused: TIA

We didn't have to "clear customs" on our recent Star cruise. Just picked up the luggage in the terminal building and took it out. Thought it was kinda funny when we didn't get a declaration form to fill out with our disembarkation papers. Apparently, they don't ask for it anymore. After we were out, we called Uber and told them where we were and what we were wearing.

We picked up our luggage, used the Uber app to get a ride, waited 5 minutes outside (we asked someone working outside at the terminal where Uber picks up) and the car arrived. The app told us the driver's name, the type and color of the car, and the license plate number. Very easy. Remember there is no need to tip. If you do want to tip the app will give you a notification and offer you that option after the ride is finished. One Uber ride the notice said that the driver had not turned on the option for tipping. Other times the option was available.

We picked up our luggage, used the Uber app to get a ride, waited 5 minutes outside (we asked someone working outside at the terminal where Uber picks up) and the car arrived. The app told us the driver's name, the type and color of the car, and the license plate number. Very easy. Remember there is no need to tip. If you do want to tip the app will give you a notification and offer you that option after the ride is finished. One Uber ride the notice said that the driver had not turned on the option for tipping. Other times the option was available.

The Uber drivers expect a tip. Look at your own rating after each Uber ride. Go to the site uberpeople.net. Interesting reading!

I/we always try to tip in cash - I know, I know, whether it be at dinner, haircut/hairdresser, extra for the lawn dude - and try to pay in cash for small home repairs that I am no longer able/want to do. Just had some pressure washing done and asked if he took cash...

Unclear on the concept. So uh, WHY is Uber including LGBs but excluding Transgenders...?

Sorry, I'm in the SF Bay Area so I guess we're used to thinking about that when we see those consonants. ;) "NOT that there's anything wrong with that....!" [seinfeld]

Just funnin'; otherwise, Happy Friday!

This is from the Uber website about tipping:

No, tipping is voluntary. If you do decide to tip, you can do so right within the app in select countries. To ensure a smooth, uninterrupted ride, you can tip drivers after your trip at a time when it’s convenient for you. Learn the details and find out if tipping is available in your city on our tipping page. Keep in mind that tipping with uberTAXI, where available, is handled differently. uberTAXI connects riders with licensed yellow cabs, and includes the option to set a gratuity percentage added to your trip fare.

More from their site on tipping:

Can I tip my driver with the app?

You are free to tip and drivers are free to accept.

You can tip your driver at the end of your trip through the app. When prompted to provide a rating, first select a rating for your driver and then you will be given the option to add a tip as well.

You may also tip on a past trip through the app, on riders.uber.com, and from your emailed trip receipt.

To tip on a past trip from the app or riders.uber.com, select the trip from your trip history, and click "Add a tip"

From your trip emailed to you, click "Add a tip"

After a trip has ended, you have 30 days to add a tip in the app, on riders.uber.com, and from your emailed trip receipt. You can also give cash to your driver instead.

Note that on Split Fare trips, only the rider who originally requested the trip will be able to select the tip amount for a trip. If a tip is added by the original requester, it will not be split with the other passengers.

Uber takes zero service fees on tips.

This is from the Uber website about tipping:

No, tipping is voluntary. If you do decide to tip, you can do so right within the app in select countries. To ensure a smooth, uninterrupted ride, you can tip drivers after your trip at a time when it’s convenient for you. Learn the details and find out if tipping is available in your city on our tipping page. Keep in mind that tipping with uberTAXI, where available, is handled differently. uberTAXI connects riders with licensed yellow cabs, and includes the option to set a gratuity percentage added to your trip fare.

• How do I tip my driver?
    The easiest way to tip your driver is through the app. At the end of your trip, you’ll be prompted to rate your driver. Once you provide a rating, you’ll be given the option to add a tip. You are free to tip and drivers are free to accept tips at any time. Giving cash directly to your driver is always an option.
    Where available, you may also tip through the app, on riders.uber.com, and from your emailed trip receipt.

OK. I apologize. One UBER driver took the (generous) tip I offered. Another UBER driver refused a tip and said to tip through the app if desired. Another UBER driver I tried to tip through the app and it said he hadn't enabled tipping. It seems to be somewhat random as to what is desired or acceptable so I just go with what I was advised when I first started using UBER which was that drivers weren't to be tipped in cash. Obviously things have changed which, given the various controversies in the news regarding UBER, is not surprising. I didn't realize things had changed. Please feel free to tip in person, in app, or not at all as you feel you want to do. I didn't mean to spark any kind of controversy and was only repeating what I had originally been told by the company and what my personal experiences were. I am by no means an UBER "expert" but have greatly appreciated the convenience and the courtesy of the drivers. The only time I have been disappointed was when the app told me my driver had not enabled tipping through the app. Other than that the service, the drivers, and the response time have been well beyond my expectations.

I drive Uber part time to pay for cruises and I accept any kind of tip whether it's cash or through the app. I never expect a tip and am very thankful to the passenger when receiving one.

On another note, our local TV station did a story comparing ride shares to taxis and the taxi was three times more expensive than both Uber and Lyft for the exact same trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums